Author Topic: 67 GT500 C7AE thermostat housing auction  (Read 5069 times)

azdriver

• View Profile
67 GT500 C7AE thermostat housing auction
« on: August 26, 2020, 08:05:16 PM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:01:41 PM by Bill »

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay find
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 08:55:05 PM »
WOW!!! Sold for $350.00? That seems to be a fantastic deal. There were guys on our forum saying that is a $1,000ish part. It's also coming from someone I'd consider as a trusted source.
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

azdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 09:21:55 PM »
Buy it now price. Was on there all last week and did not sell. Relisted yesterday. I was surprised it was not bought sooner. 20 watchers.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:43 PM »
Buy it now price. Was on there all last week and did not sell. Relisted yesterday. I was surprised it was not bought sooner. 20 watchers.
350.00 is about the going price for a used one. That is if you can even find one. A NOS one like the auction part don't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:08:14 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
Here's a C5 for $150:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-1965-66-Ford-390-427-428-Thermostat-housing-C5AZ-8592-A-Mustang-Shelby/324240923918?hash=item4b7e43dd0e:g:5dQAAOSwoRRfHOKK
The C5AE are extremely common. They typically sell used in the 25-35.00 range from what I have seen. The C5AE marked thermostat housing is for the large diameter thermostat .The MPC says the change over to the smaller thermostat was in early Dec 66 . With that said all evidence suggests the 67 GT500 used the new for 67 C7AE smaller thermostat housing from the get go. 67 GT500 should have the C7AE and not the common C5AE. The C5AE has a distinct shape compared to the C7AE and is easily able to be distinguished on the engine .  That C5 auction housing  is NOS and I assume is why the seller is asking the 150.00 but I don't see the benefit once it is painted over the lower priced used.but that is just me. I have never come across a C7AE thermostat housing NOS which the Perkins part appeared to be . It was extremely rare. As long as a nice used one isn't corroded to the extreme it will look very similar once painted which FYI they all were on the GT500. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:03:15 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 C7AE thermostat housing auction
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 07:22:55 AM »
What is and what is not a good deal is a relative thing.

I'd probably want the $350 also if it was mine. However, those housing are date coded. I can't find any mention of a date code on this one nor a picture of the code.

Also, when installed, the radiator hose conceals a good portion of the engineering number so to me those two details diminish the value.

EXCEPT for the casting date, I was able to create out of the current Scott Drake offering, a housing that when installed looks correct.

So really to me, that auction resembled a bunch of decadent 12 year olds trading baseball cards saying, "got it, got it, need it". Not much else.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:27:54 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
I feel the same way... It will be painted over ,covered up with a hose, no one will see it or really care but its a good item to boast about telling your friends you have a correct one. Same can be said for people  that tell me they have an original Hipo Le Mans cam shaft or factory pistons in their engines ?  ;D There are some things that bring a warm fuzzy feeling to some. If they want to spend 500.00 on a T STAT more power to them. We all like something different.

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
If anything, if it’s not going to be used on a car, it’s a great display piece for a parts collector.  Where are you going to find another rare nos C7AE thermostat housing that’s already hard to find even in used condition?  Definitely a cool piece.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 11:11:31 AM »
I feel the same way... It will be painted over ,covered up with a hose, no one will see it or really care but its a good item to boast about telling your friends you have a correct one. Same can be said for people  that tell me they have an original Hipo Le Mans cam shaft or factory pistons in their engines ?  ;D There are some things that bring a warm fuzzy feeling to some. If they want to spend 500.00 on a T STAT more power to them. We all like something different.
The thermostat housing is highly visible under the hood. FYI the difference is the shape of the correct thermostat and not just about a small casting numbers or date code. If you have the wrong one like 98% of the 67 GT 500's out there then it is noticeable. That is if you care about what is original . Some people go to the trouble of duplicating the hard to find original part for less money. It is not all about the money but the effort to try and the replicate the past. Some don't care about originality which is fine for them.There is room for all. Your entire post is filled with unnecessary condescending remarks . That is not cool.

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 01:18:35 PM »
Very visable piece even with hoses and everything installed right out in front of engine and on top !!!    Hang loose Help is on the way...  ;)

chris

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 01:40:05 PM »
The thermostat housing is highly visible under the hood. FYI the difference is the shape of the correct thermostat and not just about a small casting numbers or date code. If you have the wrong one like 98% of the 67 GT 500's out there then it is noticeable. That is if you care about what is original . Some people go to the trouble of duplicating the hard to find original part for less money. It is not all about the money but the effort to try and the replicate the past. Some don't care about originality which is fine for them.There is room for all. Your entire post is filled with unnecessary condescending remarks . That is not cool.

Well, I don't know who's remarks are condescending, yours or mine?

This is the Scoitt Drake part. I don't think it sticks out like a sore thumb, but your remarks do?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
Very visable piece even with hoses and everything installed right out in front of engine and on top !!!    Hang loose Help is on the way...  ;)

chris

That sounds interesting!   8)

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 10:56:25 PM »
That was a really cool piece and from an amazing collection/ famed restorer too! I was watching and waiting for it to sell quick but it didn’t? It took YEARS for me to find mine!! I found a decent one and just sold it to a gentleman in Germany. It was in average condition for ones that I’ve found.

I sold this one because I’d found a better one. Any port in a storm as my buddy says! I found the better one on Facebook of all things! A guy needed a C5, I had a perfect one, he had the C7, we literally swapped and both were tickled to death to get them!! It really was a cool deal.

As good as my new one is, once you painted it, it’s hard to see all the details. Still super cool to have!

That Perkins C7 was probably the closest piece I could reasonably afford for my car from him too...Ha!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 08:32:44 AM »
I have read some the posts and I would like to offer a perspective. 

For some including me, it is not so much that you want to prove that you can alter a part and make it look like an original piece even though it isn't, it is more about knowing for yourself that you put original pieces on your car even though no one knows it but you. 

I also take pictures of every piece with its engineering numbers and date codes so it is documented.  An altered component would not work with the documentation so I look hard for any missing pieces.

I realize that some don't care and that some parts are good enough which is perfectly fine.  We don't need to bash either way of thinking because it is a hobby, fun and room for everyone.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1