Author Topic: 67 GT500 C7AE thermostat housing auction  (Read 5070 times)

427heaven

• View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 C7AE thermostat housing auction
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 10:09:48 AM »
 My response was for the majority of car owners here that are not entering their cars in concourse competitions. Dont get it twisted there was nothing derogatory about my post whatsoever. There are 2-3 people on here that enter their cars in concourse competition or judge these cars, so spending 500-1000 dollars for a T-stat housing is great for those that are into that. I know someone that takes his cars to some very large shows and tells his story over and over that he searched the globe for some pieces to his car, internal and external, many parts cant or wont ever be seen. This gives him a warm fuzzy... We all know him and scratch our heads smiling in approval when the stories are told about these ORIGINAL parts he has collected, such as pistons, camshaft, lifters etc. His cars dont look, drive, sound, any better then using todays superior parts,  using 50plus year old parts appeals to that group of people and as has been stated before more power to them... Thats a positive not a negative! Now there are a few on here that actually work and drive their cars, myself included that have experience with building , repairing their cars. Doug has what appears to be more hands on experience with these cars then most. If he explains how something can be made to look like an original when painted and a hose slid over it... one should at least listen. This is where perception meets value. I have seen 10s of thousands of people looking at GT 500s over the past 45 years and cant recall anyone commenting on a semi visable T stat housing... Oh look he has a c7 housing.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 11:24:19 AM »
My experience is that every time I try to use a Scott Drake part it fails miserably. I try to avoid anything from that company for practical reasons. My guess is that part will look fine on the shelf but will probably burst into flames or crumble like a sugar cube if exposed to water. Or some other spectacular version of failure.

I feel the same way... It will be painted over ,covered up with a hose, no one will see it or really care but its a good item to boast about telling your friends you have a correct one. Same can be said for people  that tell me they have an original Hipo Le Mans cam shaft or factory pistons in their engines ?  ;D There are some things that bring a warm fuzzy feeling to some. If they want to spend 500.00 on a T STAT more power to them. We all like something different.
The thermostat housing is highly visible under the hood. FYI the difference is the shape of the correct thermostat and not just about a small casting numbers or date code. If you have the wrong one like 98% of the 67 GT 500's out there then it is noticeable. That is if you care about what is original . Some people go to the trouble of duplicating the hard to find original part for less money. It is not all about the money but the effort to try and the replicate the past. Some don't care about originality which is fine for them.There is room for all. Your entire post is filled with unnecessary condescending remarks . That is not cool.

Well, I don't know who's remarks are condescending, yours or mine?

This is the Scoitt Drake part. I don't think it sticks out like a sore thumb, but your remarks do?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
My response was for the majority of car owners here that are not entering their cars in concourse competitions. Dont get it twisted there was nothing derogatory about my post whatsoever. There are 2-3 people on here that enter their cars in concourse competition or judge these cars, so spending 500-1000 dollars for a T-stat housing is great for those that are into that. I know someone that takes his cars to some very large shows and tells his story over and over that he searched the globe for some pieces to his car, internal and external, many parts cant or wont ever be seen. This gives him a warm fuzzy... We all know him and scratch our heads smiling in approval when the stories are told about these ORIGINAL parts he has collected, such as pistons, camshaft, lifters etc. His cars dont look, drive, sound, any better then using todays superior parts,  using 50plus year old parts appeals to that group of people and as has been stated before more power to them... Thats a positive not a negative! Now there are a few on here that actually work and drive their cars, myself included that have experience with building , repairing their cars. Doug has what appears to be more hands on experience with these cars then most. If he explains how something can be made to look like an original when painted and a hose slid over it... one should at least listen. This is where perception meets value. I have seen 10s of thousands of people looking at GT 500s over the past 45 years and cant recall anyone commenting on a semi visable T stat housing... Oh look he has a c7 housing.

Remember General Jack D. Ripper? "Purity of Essence". "A man needs to control his bodily fluids!"

To each his own I suppose?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 02:18:41 PM »
You can't help yourself with your condescending exaggerated remarks. You just posted a showcase for them . Disregarding your previous remarks your reply post has displayed a showcase of  condescending exaggerated remarks perfectly.  Definition of condescending: showing or characterized by a patronizing or superior attitude toward others. You said "there was nothing derogatory about my post whatsoever. I see your exaggerated remarks meant to be hurtful . Lets review them.  You said " There are 2-3 people on here that enter their cars in concourse competition or judge these cars" Besides the the dozens of cars that get entered in Shelby concours venues each year many of us know the owners of those same entered cars who frequent this forum. There are ten times that looking for the information regardless if they act on it most likely on a weekly basis. Just do a count of those kinds of detail questions asked weekly here. Myself and many others answer detail information questions on this forum weekly plus get many more by private message.If so few people cared why the questions?  You said " so spending 500-1000 dollars for a T-stat housing is great for those that are into that." This thread is about a 350.00 part not 500-1000.00 so why the exaggeration if not to demean someone.  You said "Now there are a few on here that actually work and drive their cars, myself included that have experience with building , repairing their cars." I don't know where you get your facts but I suspect that there are more then a few here that turn wrenches. Regardless of if a owner turns wrenchs on his car or not ,if that statement doesn't sound like someone wanting to sound superior I don't know what would.   You said "I have seen 10s of thousands of people looking at GT 500s over the past 45 years and cant recall anyone commenting on a semi visable T stat housing... Oh look he has a c7 housing. "  Besides the obvious exaggeration of numbers If you have observed that many people what about the cars ? You apparently didn't retain what you saw on the cars otherwise why all of the originality question when you were building your car? Informed people can tell the difference between correct parts.  Many don't know what they don't know. I and many others want to help others be informed so that they can make decisions like is it worth it or not worth it that is right for them? I know I am gleaning info for my data base on this forum almost daily. Please stop the unnecessary exaggerated condescending remarks because it is not helpful here. You do want to be helpful don't you?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »
I am surprised you took the low road on this BOB but since you did, lets get to the facts- My statement regarding 3 people is fact... of current and past concourse judges. The three most prevalent posters here are the three Amigos, The P B AND J group and not referencing the childrens sandwich. You being one of them. As to why you would go off on a hissy fit about a simple little part I believe I have that answer. Do you have one?... Are you selling one?... Have you told someone you believe that part should sell for 500-1000$ or more? Your name came up regarding this, you can confirm or deny this. I dont want to speak for you. In the words of SGT Joe Friday.. Just the facts MAAM, just the facts. Look at the second post on this thread, there is a dollar value given of 1000$ There are some on here that reference you as the trusted source, so if they or yourself feels a part has a perceived value of that amount, as I said ... More power to them! Nothing exaggerated, just factual info. I frequent some of the largest gatherings that might have some of our cars present, such as the large auctions. If I have one of my cars entered or am with a friends car I watch and listen to peoples comments about things. The BARRETT- JACKSON auction For the past few years has a turnout of approx. 300- 350thousand people to anxiously see whats inside. In 9 days do all 350 thousand people want to see and ask questions about SHELBYS? No they dont! Do many thousands of people come take a look see and ask questions about our cars... Well... yes they do. Not one of them said... OOH LOOK! He has a c7 t stat on his car.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 01:12:34 PM »
I am surprised you took the low road on this BOB but since you did, lets get to the facts- My statement regarding 3 people is fact... of current and past concourse judges. The three most prevalent posters here are the three Amigos, The P B AND J group and not referencing the childrens sandwich. You being one of them. As to why you would go off on a hissy fit about a simple little part I believe I have that answer. Do you have one?... Are you selling one?... Have you told someone you believe that part should sell for 500-1000$ or more? Your name came up regarding this, you can confirm or deny this. I dont want to speak for you. In the words of SGT Joe Friday.. Just the facts MAAM, just the facts. Look at the second post on this thread, there is a dollar value given of 1000$ There are some on here that reference you as the trusted source, so if they or yourself feels a part has a perceived value of that amount, as I said ... More power to them! Nothing exaggerated, just factual info. I frequent some of the largest gatherings that might have some of our cars present, such as the large auctions. If I have one of my cars entered or am with a friends car I watch and listen to peoples comments about things. The BARRETT- JACKSON auction For the past few years has a turnout of approx. 300- 350thousand people to anxiously see whats inside. In 9 days do all 350 thousand people want to see and ask questions about SHELBYS? No they dont! Do many thousands of people come take a look see and ask questions about our cars... Well... yes they do. Not one of them said... OOH LOOK! He has a c7 t stat on his car.
FYI It wasn't me they were referencing because I have never put that kind of dollar amount on that part other then possibly in a sarcastic context.I have never seen one for sale at that price . I would be just as apt to point out someone making exaggerated condescending posts if it were a avid concours enthusiast posting against people who personalize their cars. Once or twice maybe look the other way but you are consistent in many of your posts. It is unnecessary. Keep it up if you want to continue to make my point.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 01:15:35 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Forum Guide

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2020, 01:27:42 PM »
We leave the Up for Auction threads open for replies and discussion... hopefully constructive, helpful and positive.

This one is looking like it's off the asphalt and in the gravel.

Please... Change the tone or we'll shut it down

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
Lol, I'm trying to figure out how Shelbydoug got into the mix at reply #11 when Bob wasn't even  replying to him, he was replying to 427heaven. 

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2020, 07:36:39 PM »
Lol, I'm trying to figure out how Shelbydoug got into the mix at reply #11 when Bob wasn't even  replying to him, he was replying to 427heaven.

;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 11:16:05 PM »

That was my input to this thread. It was not meant as anything other than harmless conversation of what I recalled as a price that was thrown into another thread, many moons ago, by someone I cannot definitively identify today. Fortunately, Bob grounded me and provided a more realistic price 2 replies later.

My reference to "a trusted source" was directed to the person who was selling the C7 thermostat housing, Bob Perkins. I probably should have said, "Since the item was priced and sold by Bob Perkins, I presume he knows what he's doing."

I hope this clears up any waters I may have unwittingly muddied.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2020, 12:24:21 AM »
Steve it had nothing to do with you my friend... Good luck with your car!