News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hood Latch

Started by greekz, August 27, 2020, 02:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greekz

I believe the hood latch is a phosphate and oil finish.  Has anyone had theirs chemically finished?  If so, was the spring damaged from the process?  Looking to finish mine with the correct finish.

Thanks,

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

CharlesTurner

I remove the springs, but it's ok to phosphate them also.  Temperature of phosphate solution should max out around 180F.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

If you're going to have them done by a business I would remove them and let them know that you don't want high heat used on them. The process can cause embrittlement in springs. Just something to be mindful of. Hood hinges springs also

If doing them at home like allot of us do then you can control the heat as Charles wrote above
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

greekz

Thanks for the tips. 

I have already removed the small springs.  Are they phosphate and oil?

Any tips on how to remove the large spring.

CharlesTurner

To the best of my knowledge they were originally phosphate, like the hood hinge springs.  It was either that or natural darkened spring steel finish, which would look very similar to phosphate.

I prefer manganese phosphate over zinc phosphate.  Manganese matches closest to original fasteners and parts I've observed over the years.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

greekz

Quote from: CharlesTurner on August 28, 2020, 09:31:33 PM
To the best of my knowledge they were originally phosphate, like the hood hinge springs.  It was either that or natural darkened spring steel finish, which would look very similar to phosphate.

I prefer manganese phosphate over zinc phosphate.  Manganese matches closest to original fasteners and parts I've observed over the years.

Thank you.