Author Topic: Hidden Ford VIN  (Read 2544 times)

gpm6367

• View Profile
Hidden Ford VIN
« on: August 28, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »
Can someone provide a photo of the Shelby tag with one rivet drilled out “spun”showing the hidden Ford vin underneath? I know I’ve seen it on her somewhere. Just can’t find it.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden Ford VIN
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
Can someone provide a photo of the Shelby tag with one rivet drilled out “spun”showing the hidden Ford vin underneath? I know I’ve seen it on her somewhere. Just can’t find it.
It would look and be in the same exposed place on the apron as any regular Mustang of a given year. Are you looking for a specific Ford vin under the tag or will anyone due? ;)  :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 05:57:50 PM »
If there is no VIN the panel has been replaced. The Ford VIN is also on the right side under the lip of the fender.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »
If there is no VIN the panel has been replaced. The Ford VIN is also on the right side under the lip of the fender.
Not all 68 Metuchen built Shelbys/Mustangs had the VIN's stamped on the passenger side apron. Drivers side yes, sometime even double or triple stamped.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »
I was able to remove a few fender bolts on passenger side & carefully pry up fender & find mine
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

SJS68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 12:52:15 AM »
Off my 68...

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 02:12:37 AM »
I see KR Shelby's have the occasional missing R in the VIN stamp just like Mustangs. My Dearborn May 7th built car included.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 02:47:08 PM »
FYI for those reading ,on a 65,66,or 67 this kind of question being asked on a public forum would be highly discouraged . Since the the same vin information is on the 68 window vin tag and in the SAAC registry it isn't that critical on a 68. On the 65-67 Shelby's it is highly encouraged to keep the Ford VIN confidential. On a 65-67 Shelby the vin tag is one number and the Ford VIN that is hidden underneath is completely different. Not being able to duplicate the hidden Ford VIN helps identify counterfit 65,66,and 67 Shelby's.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 10:46:36 AM »
Not all 68 Metuchen built Shelbys/Mustangs had the VIN's stamped on the passenger side apron. Drivers side yes, sometime even double or triple stamped.
MY car has the Ford VIN stamp on the divers fender as per usual.  When I first got the car I drilled out one of the rivets on the Shelby tag to have a look at the Ford VIN and the VIN was not crisp and looked kinda messed up.   I was like "what the f#ck" and I thought perhaps I had a problem but then I got educated on double stamped VIN's.  That's when I realized my car has double stamped VIN. 

Makes it even"more rare" in the Shelby world  ;)

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Mike Shally

• original owner, 68 Shelby, MCA Gold Card
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
Car 006 built Nov 67 has a single VIN number on the drivers side and a double VIN on the passengers side.
It also was double stamped on the Shelby tag.
IMHO there is no value added by these features and only shows some if the inconsistencies during manufacturing.
original owner, 68 Shelby judge, MCA Gold Card Judge, MCACN Shelby Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 01:25:03 PM »
Car 006 built Nov 67 has a single VIN number on the drivers side and a double VIN on the passengers side.
IMHO there is no value added by these features and only shows some if the inconsistencies during manufacturing.
+1 . Features that are more rare compared to the typical as in vin code stampings are interesting but rarity doesn't always equate into higher monetary value.

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 01:55:42 PM »

That's quite interesting...~!
Thanks for sharing...