Author Topic: Mice Advice, Please  (Read 6886 times)

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Mice Advice, Please
« on: August 30, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »
There’s a mouse in the house and I want to keep it out of my Shelby. I think this has been discussed, but I searched and can’t find that topic. Maybe it was on forum 1.0? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

pchmotoho

• View Profile
Re: Mice Advice, Please
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »
I use mothballs and dryer sheets.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 10:04:54 AM »
dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap, open the boxes and place them in the car and trunk has worked well for me.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
Well there are exterminators, but truthfully you can do as much yourself. First search your residence inside for any gaps that a mouse can get through (think small, if a mouse can get it's head through it can get inside) and seal those up. Steel wool packed into the crevice and sealed with caulk works well.  Check underneath all your cabinets, plumbers are notorious for leaving 1/2" to 3/4" gaps around plumbing fixtures, seal those up, the same goes for any piping going through walls such as gas, electrical, etc.
The tried and true mouse traps will work if they haven't any other food source available, don't leave pet food dishes out overnight. If you don't want to use them, try disposable mouse bait stations which make disposal easy and worry free. The same preventative measures work on the garage as well. Seal any gaps (garage doors, pedestrian doors, inside plumbing,etc) and then set out your traps of choice. FYI, there are outside mouse and rat bait stations that are childproof that work really well as outside remedies before they get inside too.
Some will tell you moth balls will work, and others tell you placing drier sheets in your car and around it works. These don't work, sealing problem areas and either traps or bait stations inside and out work year round.

Here's a link to just one source for bait and traps.

https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/library/using-baits/using-bait-station

If all else fails, get a cat!  Lol!   :)

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
Glue trap. No chemicals and they don’t die and smell. I just drown them in the trap in a bucket of water.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
Serious problem in my area.  Especially living on a rural, dirt road.  Tried every known remedy.  Only 100% effective solution is a Car Jacket storage bag. 

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 11:54:29 AM »
I like the Tom Cat snap traps. Bait with some peanut butter and place somewhere like behind a water heater. Dont worry they will find it. Deadly and reusable.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 12:01:04 PM »
Glue trap. No chemicals and they don’t die and smell. I just drown them in the trap in a bucket of water.

Glue traps aren't the most humane, but I've found them most effective.  So, +1 on this solution...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 12:36:26 PM »
.22 auto. glue traps also work, but don't tell your truck driver buddys "don't touch them" because they will...phred

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »
Feral cat. And don't feed it.

If you don't want to do that, snap traps baited with peanut butter work pretty well as others have said.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:07:58 PM by kjspeed »
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
.22 auto. glue traps also work, but don't tell your truck driver buddys "don't touch them" because they will...phred
Nevermind Honey, I'll cover the holes with spackling ::)

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »
Pet snake.....preferably a cobra 8)

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »
I catch at least 50 a year

Good old mouse trap

I only use fruit snacks, let them dry out a bit and crimp them in the trap. I've used the same fruit snack for 5 years, they work like a charm and never get licked off without setting the traps.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
Pet snake.....preferably a cobra 8)

I have a couple of rat snakes that live near my garage area. I leave them alone and let them do their job. I think they eat well, given their size of approx. six foot.

Jimbc123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 06:24:22 PM »
I had a mouse in the house we could not catch. I tried an electronic device that plugs into an outlet. That night the rodent committed suicide trying to get get out of the house via a toilet. Surprised me first thing in the morning but I never had a mouse problem after using that repellent.

Jim