Author Topic: Mice Advice, Please  (Read 6884 times)

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mice Advice, Please
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2020, 09:39:01 PM »
I've never tried this but I have seen several versions of this trap. It looks like it would work pretty well... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYCqWSz6lNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIlYiiCGLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJc89N9ECNw

TOB
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:44:49 PM by TOBKOB »
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Steve Z

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2020, 10:08:33 PM »
   Interesting Topic. We moved to an old farm house that was where I grew up at. My wife was from the City and had never had a mouse problem.
      Our first year there in the fall the critters came in , but they were not Mice? We set some traps in the old Farmhouse return air ducts. She was excited to see what would happen. The first night the traps go off and we run to see what we caught? We shine the light in the register , only to see a Rat eating cheese on the trap. He picks the trap up and heads back into the ductwork.
    My wife says , What the hell was that? My Response was "Field Mice left unattended grow rather Large" . She didn't buy that.

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2020, 10:37:43 PM »
How about a air rifle with night scope. No reason why this cant be fun. I have picked off a few mice with a 1966 Crosman M1. Effective  but only close range accuracy.

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2020, 10:51:51 AM »
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this topic. Lots of great ideas. I’ll start with the least drastic and keep going till something works.

Steve

GT350DAVE

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »
I live in a heavily wooded area and have had mouse problems every winter in a barn on our property. I've tried ultrasonics drier sheets, irish spring soap, peppermint oil, mothballs, poison blocks and just about everything else you can think of. Mouse traps catch some of them (more than a dozen a year) but others seem to ignore the traps. Moth balls work in a small area like under a hood.
We have had extensive damage done to our every day vehicles, including having to replace part of the wiring harness in my F150.
The idea is to prevent mice from ever getting in the building to begin with.
This summer I bit the bullet and hired a company that seals buildings. They showed up with metal forming equipment and covered every possible area with aluminum flashing. I have been all around the building with a light and it appears to be sealed. This winter will tell.
Dave
This is an old topic but a good one and meant to report back on having The building professionally sealed. It worked. Last winter, I had no mice in that building. The building has 4 overhead doors. One of the things the sealing people did was bent metal flashing strips in the lower corners of the overhead doors. These strips go up from the ground about 6 inches and bridge the intersection of the door and the outside door trim. Previous years I had found the rubber door seals in that intersection chewed. I believe these pieces stopped the bulk of mice traffic.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2021, 02:56:18 PM »
Can you do a photo

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2021, 10:23:12 PM »
I used a "car jacket" car storage bag successfully for many seasons before getting a large indoor mouse free storage . No mice could get in the zip up bag. I don't know if that company is still in business but there seems to be a lot of similar alternatives .  https://www.carcoverusa.com/rhino-shelters-car-pocket-motorcycle-pocket.php
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2021, 10:32:14 PM »
not mice, but in relation to the reply #31 by Steve Z, I had red squirrels in my attic, which they were using for storing their

walnuts, I set one of those tender traps, like a cage with a door,  trying to be humane  ;)  the trap would go off, I'd go up for a

look, the bait was gone, door was closed, no squirrel !  he'd be up in the tree laughing at me, smart buggers !

GT350DAVE

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »
Support the SAAC Registry

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2021, 10:33:43 AM »
Can you do a photo
Photo:
That makes sense now .What a smart trick. Looks like it would not be hard to make. I need to get busy. Thanks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2021, 10:35:03 AM »
Thanks, I'm-a get-me-sum-a-doos!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Copescobra

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2021, 01:50:04 PM »
There is a car cover that has a sand weighted bottom that forms a seal on the ground.  The website is
getcoverseal.com.  I have used them along with the car bubble and both seem to work.  Nothing in my opinion can beat
the bubble but these car covers weigh about 30 lbs and have done a great job on 4 of my cars.
Hope this is helpful.
1969 SCJ 428
1970 Boss 302
2012 Boss 302