Author Topic: 5R106 - Mecum Kissimmee 2021 ?  (Read 2974 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
5R106 - Mecum Kissimmee 2021 ?
« on: August 30, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »
This photo of 5R106 was posted on a facebook page this weekend.   I assume it is advertising that 5R106 will be up for auction at the Mecum Kissimmee 2021 auction? 

Does anyone know any details and care to share?  Mecum doesn't have anything on their website yet.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: 5R106 - Mecum Kissimmee 2021 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
How do they get them up on those boxes?   ???
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 01:19:38 PM »
How do they get them up on those boxes?   ???
Those type of boxes typically come with ramps that attach when you buy them. They are used to work under your car or for display. Given the one in the back is turned so that the stop edge is to the rear I suspect the car was carefully driven up on the front boxes and then lifted in the back with a floor jack under the differential and then the box installed under the tire. nice display.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »
I'm thinking this might be what is used. You drive onto it and then remove the sections between wheels and add the stops front & rear https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Garage-Accessories/Race-Ramps-Portable-Pit-Stop-Ramp

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 03:54:25 PM »
I'm thinking this might be what is used. You drive onto it and then remove the sections between wheels and add the stops front & rear https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Garage-Accessories/Race-Ramps-Portable-Pit-Stop-Ramp
Pretty cool set up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 05:22:03 PM »
Thanks, makes sense.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 06:14:41 AM »
Nice little video that was made for the Sotheby's auction in the past.  At Blackhawk Farms race track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6mANwW1Gss
Greg Z
6S2249

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »
Here is the auction listing for 5R106

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-444464/1965-shelby-gt350r-fastback/

SFM5R106
4,930 miles
One of only 34 production R Models
Delivered new to Jack Loftus Ford in Hinsdale, Illinois
Owned and raced by original owner Dick Jordan for 21 years
Campaigned by Jordan at Road America, Lynndale Farms, Clermont and Wilmot Raceway
Exacting restoration to original competition specs using only original and NOS service parts as needed
Original 289/325 HP V-8 engine
Holley 4-barrel carburetor
Cobra high-rise intake manifold
Tri-Y headers
Oil cooler and high capacity radiators
Borg Warner T10 M 4-speed transmission
Ordered with a 4.11 rear end
Independent front suspension with coil springs
Live rear suspension with leaf springs
Front disc brakes
Fiberglass front body apron
Brake cooling ducts
Original plexiglass windows
Wimbledon White with Black interior
American Racing 15x7 wheels
Detailed history listed in the Shelby Registry
One of only 37 examples of Carroll Shelby’s all-conquering GT350R SCCA B Production racers, Serial No. 5R106 was raced by its first owner, Richard Jordan of Downers Grove, Illinois, for an incredible 21 years in Midwest SCCA national events. Its second owner, Paul Zimmons of Potomac, Maryland, restored 5R106 after purchasing it in 1987, winning the Gold Award in the Competition Class at SAAC-18 at Watkins Glen in 1993. In 2000, the car earned Second Place Popular Vote at SAAC-25 at Lime Rock Park. Subsequent owners, including such prominent collectors as Dave Christenholz and noted Shelby expert and author Colin Comer, have carefully maintained this extraordinary R-model as it was first raced at Road America in 1965, employing only its original factory components and NOS parts as required. With 4,930 original miles on the original engine and drivetrain, 5R106 remains in astonishingly original condition, retaining such important features as the original Plexiglas and R-model magnesium racing wheels. Fully race-ready and offered with unusually extensive documentation that includes the original Shelby American and Jack Loftus Ford paperwork, 5R106 presents as exceedingly original, authentically restored and factory correct in every detail, making it a marvelous example of a perennial American racing classic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:14:03 PM by silverton_ford »

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 10:14:42 PM »
Interesting positioning of the bullet mirror on the driver's side.  Hey, if it works, do it.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"