News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original or Not

Started by 69 GT350 Vert, September 07, 2023, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 GT350 Vert

Is this convertible top original?  Same question for the front seat cover? 

How can you tell?

Thanks. 

J_Speegle

Not going to likely be able to determine from a couple of pictures but guess you expected that.

For the seats, like just about everything, you will need to inspect everything than take the findings and determine what they "tell" yoy

Things like
- Is the comfortweave "breathable"
- Color of the stitching
- Taking off the seat back and inspecting that area as well as the bottom section look at the hog rings, the padding, the seat material backing, the burlap - if its there and details like that.
- Any visible on the back side of the seat material would be telling also since original were marked and dated but not allot is visible when the seat is together.
- Sometimes reproductions or cover made in shops will use a different thickness of the bead piping along the outer edges of the seat

Likely will not help much if at all but a few shots of a set of originals

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

69 GT350 Vert

The Woodstock sticker makes me think the convertible top is original.   :D

J_Speegle

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on September 07, 2023, 07:13:40 PM

The makers marking from the glass would likely be a better predictor to indicate if the rear window had been replaced at some point in the history of the car . Not like that design has not been reproduced for decades and is on allot of current reproductions along with the peace sign sticker though I don't recall one with the  American flag back ground being popular in the 60's
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 07, 2023, 07:32:58 PM
Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on September 07, 2023, 07:13:40 PM

The makers marking from the glass would likely be a better predictor to indicate if the rear window had been replaced at some point in the history of the car . Not like that design has not been reproduced for decades and is on allot of current reproductions along with the peace sign sticker though I don't recall one with the  American flag back ground being popular in the 60's
+1  . The trademark was typically found on the lower section of the 2 piece convertible glass. Corning (glass)was the OEM glass mfg.  PPG was the replacement for the special thin convertible glass after 1970.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

That a Woodstock sticker on the left?

J_Speegle