Author Topic: 69 GT350 Fuel Filler neck finish  (Read 1932 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69 GT350 Fuel Filler neck finish
« on: September 01, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »
My Original fuel fill neck has black paint on the face where the cap screws on, is that way it’s supposed to be? It looks like it was painted when the tail light panel was painted.
Thank you

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 69 GT350 Fuel Filler neck finish
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
My Original fuel fill neck has black paint on the face where the cap screws on, is that way it’s supposed to be? It looks like it was painted when the tail light panel was painted.
Thank you
No it should not look like that from the factory . The tale panel was painted by itself before being attached to the car. The filler neck is added after the tail panel is installed . I would describe the  the filler neck finish as a spotchy silver tin/lead dipped finish. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:40:20 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
Thanks Bob

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 11:17:56 PM »
There are companies out there (I'm told have not used them) that will refinish one for you. Make sure that you have a nice one (no dents) before you send it

They can also be replated in your own shop if you choose to do it that way - just because. Have done a dozen or so myself.

Suggest using tin rather than lead for the process given the fumes
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 09:27:13 AM »
There are companies out there (I'm told have not used them) that will refinish one for you. Make sure that you have a nice one (no dents) before you send it

They can also be replated in your own shop if you choose to do it that way - just because. Have done a dozen or so myself.

Suggest using tin rather than lead for the process given the fumes
Can you recommend companies that do this? What about the galvanized rear license plate bracket and the front Fender brackets that are galvanized also. Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 03:07:09 PM »
Can you recommend companies that do this?

As mentioned above I've not used the service. Maybe one of the other members has a plate shop that they liked. Some shops can have difficulty with thin sheet metal parts and brackets due to the 800+ degrees needed in a hot dip process

What about the galvanized rear license plate bracket and the front Fender brackets that are galvanized also. Thanks. Gary

Tried using industrial galvanizing a few times. Was not impressed with the out come - Too thick - pattern didn't come close to original so settled on a faux finish done by plating the parts zinc then using a paint process and daubing that reproduced the finish IMHO pretty well

There is an article over on the CMF site that covers the process and I think

Here are some examples

Light and contrast not great in these last pictures - looks better in person ;)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 09:50:57 AM »

As mentioned above I've not used the service. Maybe one of the other members has a plate shop that they liked. Some shops can have difficulty with thin sheet metal parts and brackets due to the 800+ degrees needed in a hot dip process

What about the galvanized rear license plate bracket and the front Fender brackets that are galvanized also. Thanks. Gary

Tried using industrial galvanizing a few times. Was not impressed with the out come - Too thick - pattern didn't come close to original so settled on a faux finish done by plating the parts zinc then using a paint process and daubing that reproduced the finish IMHO pretty well

Here are some examples

Thanks. Many years ago at Columbus(think you were there) Ed-at Scott Fuller's space-showed me a restored license plate bracket with the cobalt blue manufacturer label on it. I will ask him how he was getting them done. Ed? . Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »

Here are some examples

Thanks. Many years ago at Columbus(think you were there) Ed-at Scott Fuller's space-showed me a restored license plate bracket with the cobalt blue manufacturer label on it. I will ask him how he was getting them done. Ed? . Gary
Cool detail however FYI the ARMCO identification or even a portion of it was not typically on every part . It was on the sheet that the part was made from. Maybe only one out of a dozen depending on the part would have any part of the trademark visible. Also given the haphazard way the cut out patterns were puzzled together on a marked sheet suggest that the odds of a trademark stamp perfectly centered or even right side up on any part is kind of far fetched.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 02:10:53 PM »
FYI the ARMCO identification or even a portion of it was not typically on every part . It was on the sheet that the part was made from. Maybe only one out of a dozen depending on the part would have any part of the trademark visible. Also given the haphazard way the cut out patterns were puzzled together on a marked sheet suggest that the odds of a trademark stamp perfectly centered or even right side up on any part is kind of far fetched.

Agreed we have not idea of how many (at least I don't ) of the supplier stamps were placed on each sheet of how far apart on a roll. In the examples I posted that shield had one right where we replaced it. Have pictures of the before condition I believe in the files somewhere Helped with making the mask. Of course this detail can't be seen almost at all once the fender and shield is in place

Same thing (only  a portion) on the rear license plate holder/bracket

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 03:58:49 PM »
Years ago i had a armco stencil made off original parts that i had off cars  and uss steel and pittburg wheeling  stencils off original gas tanks and muffler i had and u have to have good examples to make stencil correctly.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 04:32:23 PM »
For those reading about this cool trademark detail it would be considered icing on the cake so to speak. I wanted to clarify that this detail although very cool is not expected to be seen on various parts for concours judging at this time. Cool if it present in the appropriate manner but because they were not on every part it is not required.   

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 04:48:05 PM »
There apparently was two companies that supplied the metal for at least the license plate brackets.

If your undercarriage or other sheet metal parts were not painted well or fully you can some times find the provides "markers mark" on the surface.

Looks like ARMCO supplied at least three different types of sheet steel for making parts from for Ford stamping plants