News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

70 Shelby gt 500 anntenna trunk detail information needed, June 9 69 car

Started by bobboss351, September 03, 2020, 11:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobboss351

Couple of questions,  appericate the help , pics or any help,

The correct location of the grd wire for the trunk lamp .  This car had a power antenna in the trunk , all the wiring was moved around, what did the terminal look like or what was used , fastner????

The correct routing of the Anntenna lead from the passenger wheel well to the dvr side , was it randomly wired acrossed the upper panel above the trunk hinges,,,,

The correct location and how the hardware for the base of the anntenna was afixed to the trunk of the dvr wheel opening, ,,,   there a date thing or random again,,,
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bobboss351 on September 03, 2020, 11:21:31 AM
Couple of questions,  appericate the help , pics or any help,

The correct location of the grd wire for the trunk lamp .  This car had a power antenna in the trunk , all the wiring was moved around, what did the terminal look like or what was used , fastner????

The correct routing of the Anntenna lead from the passenger wheel well to the dvr side , was it randomly wired acrossed the upper panel above the trunk hinges,,,,

The correct location and how the hardware for the base of the anntenna was afixed to the trunk of the dvr wheel opening, ,,,   there a date thing or random again,,,
The antenna installation was done by the dealer and not at AO Smith. The typical routing of the antenna coax was above the hinges across the steel innerstructure. If you are installing on a fresh quarter and didn't keep the old for a template I will post a typical location for a convertible  . They varied somewhat. It is fun to look down a row of 69/70  Shelby fastbacks and see how all of the rear antennas varied. Same thing on the converts but don't typically find too many of those in a row. Sorry I only have 69 and 70 convertibles handy in the Bat cave and what with their steel innerstructure trunklids do not need a ground wire like the all fiberglass trunklids. Same goes for location of the antenna hole. I posted a picture of the typical hardware and how it attaches to the base and to the wheel house . The clamp around the base that came in the installation kit most often had a raised edge around the perimeter. Stove bolt slotted screw head and square nut came in the installation kits along with a strip of support plate with holes in it . The support plate is about twice as thick as the more flexible stuff that plumbers and electricians use. It takes more then a little force to bend it . The length you cut it and mount it at the bottom will determine if the antenna sticks strait up or at a slant. I typically see them mounted so that the mast as a slight rake to the the rear more but it varied. The farther down and the shorter the length of the support strip the more stable the mast is on the top side. The vast majority used the support plate with the holes of various lengths but I have seen some that just used the clamp with the stove bolt and nut through the clamp eyelet directly to the hole at the base of the wheelhouse .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

bobboss351

Thank you guys,,,, very much appericated,  still looking for ground  wire location and the eye-lite design  , Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bobboss351 on September 04, 2020, 10:49:03 AM

Thank you guys,,,, very much appericated,  still looking for ground  wire location and the eye-lite design  , Bob
Eyelet design is in the picture I posted. It wraps around the base tube of the antenna and has a eyelet at one end that the screw goes through and attaches to the support plate.

Shelbypat

Is your car convert or fastback ?
Here a pic I have in my file from rip forum. Other may confirm or not the ground eyelet lamp location for fastback.

Patrick

Special Ed

fastback has separate wire to ground having all fiberglass decklid  verts ground to bottom metal  section like all regular mustangs and they both had body color overspray on the wireing harness.

bobboss351

Thank you Pat and Ed,
It is a fastback ,
  Is the fastener the same as the tail lamp  panel screws, it looks like it has a washer molded to it like the panel screws, 
  Ed,  Im confused on the over-spray of body color on wires, ,,, why would there be over spray when the car was painted at dearborn  then the antenna was installed at Smith,  Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Coralsnake

The overspray on the trunk light wiring was done at AOSmith when the Shelby decklid was painted.

Coralsnake

The bottom section of the decklid is placed into the jig. You can see how the trunk light wires are taped. Smith often left the wires taped to the decklids when painting. When the tape was removed, it left a bare spot on the bottom of the decklid. This is also why you often see paint on the wiring.

Special Ed

The fiberglass decklids were painted at aosmith and when trunk light was installed BEFORE paint the wireing was left expossed while painting and up by the light bulb the opening was taped off to keep paint off the bulb and the wireing ends were pushed into the opening in lower lh corner when painted so it had body color overspray or wireing was taped together and taped to bottom of decklid  then when installed and wireing all hooked up they put tire decal over the area where the wireing was taped to underside decklid to try and hide the area where the wireing was taped. The dearborn  all metal decklids had trunk wireing added after paint since trunk wire was an option but standard on shelbys. I have seen this trunk wireing paint done a little differently and maybe different between fastback vs vert or early late running changes.  Back in the 80s when shelbys were first being restored and no internet and no JS photos posted i would judge shelbys and had to doc restorer for not having paint on trunk light wireing and they would say they went thru alot of trouble and labor trying to get that paint off the wiring and i had to tell them now u need to put paint overspray back on wiring to be concours correct. This is why unrestored unmolested cars are so valuable for reseach.

bobboss351

Pete,,,,
That is a awesome picture and a great explanation,, awesome, i was thinking at the trunk brace at the wheel well were the grd was made, , not at  the deck lid,  so was at the other end of the trunk,,, lol,
but now I understand.  What color was the base fiberglass before color,  and how wide was the tape, i would like to try and create that detail and make that correct,  any thoughts, ,,,
thank you ,,,,,, Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on September 04, 2020, 09:59:00 PM
fastback has separate wire to ground having all fiberglass decklid  verts ground to bottom metal  section like all regular mustangs and they both had body color overspray on the wireing harness.
When I had my car judged at a MCA show the judge asked me why I had paint on that wire. I told him that was original paint and they were done that way. He was going to deduct points for the wire. I told him I could call Ed right now and sort it out. He laughed and said that's OK and no deduction. True story. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake