News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Removing Rear Seat Side Panel in Convertible

Started by eric lipper, September 04, 2020, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric lipper

Ok, the back seat is out.  All the screws are removed from the side panel but the only thing holding it in place is the roll bar.  It is loose so I can see that is the only thing holding it.   The panel does have a slot in it to go around the roll bar but it would take a lot of bending to get it out around the roll bar.  Any of you guys know how this comes out -- is there a trick?  I don't want to damage the panel because I bet the side panels are fragile.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

Bob Gaines

Quote from: eric lipper on September 04, 2020, 07:46:06 PM
Ok, the back seat is out.  All the screws are removed from the side panel but the only thing holding it in place is the roll bar.  It is loose so I can see that is the only thing holding it.   The panel does have a slot in it to go around the roll bar but it would take a lot of bending to get it out around the roll bar.  Any of you guys know how this comes out -- is there a trick?  I don't want to damage the panel because I bet the side panels are fragile.
You have accessed the situation correctly. You have to bend the panels down or up to get it by the diameter of the rollbar. I have found that bending both half way keeps from having to bend one too much. Sometimes they will crack other times not. Take it slow. Best of luck.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

eric lipper

Thanks Bob.  Looks a little crazy but I will give it a shot and report back.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

eric lipper

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 04, 2020, 08:09:30 PM
You have accessed the situation correctly. You have to bend the panels down or up to get it by the diameter of the rollbar. I have found that bending both half way keeps from having to bend one too much. Sometimes they will crack other times not. Take it slow. Best of luck.

Bob, I chickened out on removing the side panels and replaced the hydraulic ram for the convertible top just by working through the well.  After I looked at the side panels it really did not look like removing them made the job much easier.  As an aside I would like to see someone do the Houdini on a convertible side panel because that looks like i would break it for sure and I did not want to damage my OEM side panels.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

Bob Gaines

Quote from: eric lipper on September 05, 2020, 05:37:48 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 04, 2020, 08:09:30 PM

Bob, I chickened out on removing the side panels and replaced the hydraulic ram for the convertible top just by working through the well.  After I looked at the side panels it really did not look like removing them made the job much easier.  As an aside I would like to see someone do the Houdini on a convertible side panel because that looks like i would break it for sure and I did not want to damage my OEM side panels.
If you hadn't done it before or are unsure of yourself then it was a smart move on your part. You don't want to take a chance if you don't have to. I have had to do the Houdini trick so many times I have lost count and still get that nervous feeling everytime I have to take one off for whatever reason. I am glad to hear you got it done. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby