News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Excessive steering wheel play / Loose steering wheel

Started by Mdbound2005, September 05, 2020, 11:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdbound2005

Hi all

I finally received my 67 Shelby GT500 yesterday and she's a beauty.

It's my first classic car and I  feel like this is the beginning of a long love affair.

The first thing I noticed when driving was the excessive steering wheel play.  From a neutral position, I can move the wheel a decent amount to the left or right without the wheels moving in that direction.  I was able to get home fine, but felt a bit uneasy.

While I'm sure a 53 year old car's wheel won't be as "tight" or responsive as more modern vehicles, I was hoping there is a way to have this fixed both for safety and driving enjoyment.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am located in Los Angeles.

Thanks!
67 Shelby GT500
Raven Black with White Stripes

Coralsnake

I would highly recommend a Ford shop manual.

Excessive steering play could be a simple adjustment or worn suspension components.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Mdbound2005 on September 05, 2020, 11:25:10 AM
Hi all

I finally received my 67 Shelby GT500 yesterday and she's a beauty.

It's my first classic car and I  feel like this is the beginning of a long love affair.

The first thing I noticed when driving was the excessive steering wheel play.  From a neutral position, I can move the wheel a decent amount to the left or right without the wheels moving in that direction.  I was able to get home fine, but felt a bit uneasy.

While I'm sure a 53 year old car's wheel won't be as "tight" or responsive as more modern vehicles, I was hoping there is a way to have this fixed both for safety and driving enjoyment.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am located in Los Angeles.

Thanks!
Congratulations on getting the 67 GT500. +1 on getting a shop manual first thing. The play in the feel at the steering wheel may not only be one culprit but a combination of things that contribute to the over all effect.That is more typical on a 50 +year car. For example the steering box if it has never been rebuilt  definitely needs to be on the rebuilt list IMHO if after over 50 years it never has been rebuilt. All the grease inside it will have the consistency of play-doh which allows gears to wear which in turn will cause play. Adjustment may help with play but it will come back as the non lubricated gears wear. The power steering control valve wears and causes play(#1 in my book for excessive play).The idler arm is the weakest link in the steering and when worn will cause play . The tie rods when worn will cause play. The ball joints will cause play. It could be one thing . It could be one thing mostly with contributions by a little bit of other things. It could be all of the above. Welcome to classic car care taking. People on this forum will try and give useful information and help get you through the experience with the least amount of stress. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

I would adjust the sector stud and nut top of gearbox first especially on big blocks cars.

Drew Pojedinec

Best to park it and have someone wiggle the wheel with tires on the ground.
Being under it, it'll become obvious, what moves what doesn't.

Rag joint, box, tie rods, etc all can stack up movement.

JD

There is a spec' in the service manual for the adjustment of the steering box, don't over tighten.

Service manual is a great thing.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Rukiddin

All replies are spot on,especially getting a Ford shop manual and reading. One thing (out of many) is that checking play with engine off is not same as running. While your helper turns the steering wheel back and forth feeling the play,look closely for ANY excesss movement from idler arm to each tie rod end. When making any adjustment to steering box be sure to read the steps. Don't just crank the screw......it will be very rewarding to follow the steps instead of mass replacement. If you feel un-qualified to make an inspection, go to local Ford dealer and ask for quotes. Way too many crooks selling parts and repairs not needed. When worn parts are replaced and steering box adjusted CORRECTLY ,an accurate alignment is needed. Look for the old,grey haired guy in service and tell him I sent you   :D.
Add a new set of QUALITY radials and you will be amazed at results. Not rocket science,but the best results are obtained with best checks.

Mdbound2005

Thank you all for the advice

I searched online and found 2 manuals.  Which one do I purchase?

1) 1967 Ford and Mercury Shop Manual

Or

2) 1967 Cougar, Farlaine, Falcon, Mercury, and Intermediate Mustang Shop Manual?

Thanks again!
67 Shelby GT500
Raven Black with White Stripes

JD

the second one;
1967 Cougar, Farlaine, Falcon, Mercury, and Intermediate Mustang Shop Manual
it has a two-tone blue cover
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tinman

This video goes through checking front ends on Cougars, but it the same principle. It also shows steering box adjustment. As stated before there is no substitute to the Ford shop manual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69idxXfXJv4
Mike

roddster

First thing to check is the idler arm for play.  Seems that is the first thing to wear out.