Author Topic: Group 27 battery  (Read 4859 times)

cbrown

• View Profile
Group 27 battery
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:56:37 PM »
So, I’m finishing up  a car and have attempted to. Purchase a repo battery.    I guess there is a problem with them right now??? 

Chris

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Group 27 battery
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
So, I’m finishing up  a car and have attempted to. Purchase a repo battery.    I guess there is a problem with them right now??? 

Chris
Yes you will have a very hard time finding anyone that has a new one to sell.The company Antique Battery is not responding to retail customers as well as vendors for over a month. That is not a good sign. Better plan on a Motorcraft for now. :o
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:28:04 PM »
How did the collector car hobby let itself get into this situation anyway?  We are all relying on a company that has one leg in bankruptcy court, and never really had the correct battery for anyone's application anyway.  Time for all of us to band together and solve the battery issue with a crowd funding drive or something.  Get the MCA folks involved too.  I'm so frustrated that I can't buy a 22F that looks even remotely period correct I could scream!  I know I'm asking a lot, but we sent men to the moon, didn't we?! (At least i 'm pretty sure we did)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:23:17 AM »
+1, regarding the 22F batteries. 

I know it's been brought up before...is it possible to get some made by getting a bunch of orders together after finding a manufacturer?

I know it's much harder than it seems, and I would love to see this happen.  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »
I need a battery myself for the 66. I would be in for a period correct run of batteries. Motorcraft no longer have the side tabs for the hold down do they? I think Interstate still does.
Best regards,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:52:11 AM »

Chris

Yes. There has been a "supply problem" since November. We are told that batteries will start being built again this week, but we are currently trying to verify that.

As for the other questions about the side lip for the clamp for a 65-66 car, check out the Exide batteries.

Click the below link for my Blog post on this:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2017/12/new-autolite-battery-toppers-are-here.html

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »
Exide thank you! I take it that early 66 car 843 have the yellow tops. Might as well go that route.

Best regards,

Richard E.

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
+2, regarding the 22F batteries.  However, with that said, it MUST be a GOOD battery and one that holds up.

Steve
SFM 6S406

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »
Why don't we gang up on Ford with as many Mustang owners as we can muster to get Ford to do it. Or approach the manufacturer that makes their batteries and get them to do it. An unlikely endeavor but never hurts to ask.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
+2, regarding the 22F batteries.  However, with that said, it MUST be a GOOD battery and one that holds up.

Steve

+1 on the reliability piece.  Looks are great, but it needs to last more than 1-2 years, especially given the price!   :(
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »

Chris

Yes. There has been a "supply problem" since November. We are told that batteries will start being built again this week, but we are currently trying to verify that.

As for the other questions about the side lip for the clamp for a 65-66 car, check out the Exide batteries.

Click the below link for my Blog post on this:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2017/12/new-autolite-battery-toppers-are-here.html

Thank you for the update Brant. I hope they get on the ball with the batteries. For others reading it is kind of a pet peeve like the caution fan stickers but FYI the white with red plastic tags never came on the assemblyline batteries from the factory. They come with all of the repro batteries and surprisingly with the battery toppers. That was something that started in the 70's  . It was for liability reasons. Maybe it is like the warning tags on bedding that can only be removed by the end user or some big fine  ::) . Because they are there they find their way on the batteries because the user thinks they are historical correct.  I just thought I would mention it because we wouldn't go to all the trouble with the repro batteries and the toppers if historical correctness didn't matter. Also it can be a concours deduction.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »
So it's yellow caps for correctness on 6s843 I take it and the red caps came on service replacements?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
So it's yellow caps for correctness on 6s843 I take it and the red caps came on service replacements?
First off for a 65-67 front mounted assemblyline battery is not just about the caps. It is the size and the appearance of the battery case top as much as anything else. It is the whole package with it's various details that makes it correct or not . FYI the assemblyline battery on a regular production 66 GT350 was a group 22 which is shorter then the higher capacity group 24 that has been reproduced for years. The assemblyline case looks different then a service battery case. The service case has a sticker and the assemblyline case doesn't . Among other things instead of a sticker the warning information on a assemblyline battery are in raised letters cast right into the case. The assemblyline battery was not serviced. It was a lower capacity battery meant to last for the warranty period. When it needed to be replaced the battery that replaced it was the higher capacity longer size group 24 with yellow caps. No 65-67 GT350 came with a group 24 size battery with yellow caps but that is all that we have (similar looking topper with yellow caps) . We work with what we got but still need to fuss (create a need) so that the aftermarket has a reason to make a more correct part. On a 66 GT350 for now get the yellow cap topper for the Exide battery  (wish they would make it with the correct spaced raised lettering ) until something better comes along. Although not correct for the reasons mentioned it will give a somewhat historical look. Don't expect it to get any kind of pass if used in concours however.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
Hello Bob and thank you very much for the education on the subject. My car is no concours queen, but has numerous mods on her. A day eleventeen car as I call it. But an original looking battery would be choice. Looks like that's not happening anytime soon.

Best wishes,

Richard E.

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »
I called antique auto battery last week with no response.   If Brant or anyone hears they are available again.  Please let me know. 

thanks chris