News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Proper 69/70 Shelby Side Stripe Placement.

Started by Bob Gaines, September 05, 2020, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special Ed

Pete what happens when u have a special order paint car who decided stripe color as in specialed shelby? Good thing my purple car still is original so i can document the stripe color.

Coralsnake

Shelby decided the color.

I have seen a few references to some cars that received the wrong color side stripes at the factory in those meeting minutes you have.

Try to convince Mr Gaines of that on the show field!

Coralsnake

Info from dealer sales meeting, see item 9 and 13

Coralsnake

Always happy to help out the concours judges 😂

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 07, 2020, 09:56:52 AM

Info from dealer sales meeting, see item 9 and 13

Thank you for posting this! QC was a real problem apparently !
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Coralsnake

There has been a lot of misinformation that quality was not good or not a priority. Both are false.

The quality standards were different from the extreme tolerances we expect today, however there were a lot of people that cared about the work and the product.

It kind of tweaks me when people degrade them.

bobboss351

Bob,
Great timing on this post, we are just getting ready to stripe the 70 car in the next week, so great information,,, thank you,, Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: eric lipper on September 06, 2020, 11:25:00 PM
Mine are straight but i like the white on the red car.  This is a little sideways to the original post but how do you know what color stripe was on the car.  Mine is candy apple red with a gold stripe.
There is an inexpensive stripe removal tool to remove stripes off of a car without hurting the paint. Because of this I went White on my red car only because I had a white top and black hood stripes. looked too busy with gold. It isn't my first red Shelby I put white stripes onto. I did it on #3052 drag pack 4 speed FB. When people would ask if the car came from the factory with white stripes I said absolutely then mentioned it was originally a grabber blue car.  :) . 3 things I took liberties on my car since I will never sell it: Over restored the underside because to go factory would mean bare metal in some areas. Cleared in hood stripes and the white tape stripes. Since I striped the car myself I figured I could always go back to gold if I decided. Ditto for painting black stripes on the hood over the cleared in ones. Underside is another story.first pic is my underside after I painted it in my garage. Second is original paint of my underside. 3rd is my old GT500 with my GT350 and a R-code Mach1 I had at the time.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

Make sure u install stripe kit AFTER lining up all metal and fiberglass as the stripes should be the very last thing u do on a restoration!!

@shlb69  that is an incredibly beautiful car. Love the way the stripe has a creamy patina due to it's age.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on September 08, 2020, 10:45:59 AM
@shlb69  that is an incredibly beautiful car. Love the way the stripe has a creamy patina due to it's age.
More original stripe then creamy patina. The contrast is very noticeable in that picture.The stripes don't typically patina much . Original stripes were more off white then the white white like the reproductions have always been. A side by side comparison shows it as very noticeable. Separately less so. It was a"undesirable effect" the 3M rep said . The white white became the standard more then 30 plus years ago.I never found (out of many) a Ford service stripe that was not the off white. There was maybe still is a fastback set on ebay recently.The problem is that the made into the stripe adhesive may have dried up after all of these years. 3M will make up some stripe special but I heard you have to order a huge amount. I think I remember someone who checked into it saying it was enough to do more then a thousand cars. Too much to justify the investment let alone the time to recoup.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on September 08, 2020, 10:38:28 AM
Make sure u install stripe kit AFTER lining up all metal and fiberglass as the stripes should be the very last thing u do on a restoration!!
Well I agree. Brought the car home bare. Then after drivetrain in and doors weighted again the stripes went on.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

Utah   john gogo  son called wanting to make 69 shelby stripe the correct way and color so he needs help  so need nos autolite or old nos stripe  to borrow to get concours correctly made. All the past repo stripes havent been made correctly either the color or the cuts or the fastback vs vert patterns or the gt350/500 letters.