Author Topic: Proper 69/70 Shelby Side Stripe Placement.  (Read 4416 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Proper 69/70 Shelby Side Stripe Placement.
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »
For those that are not aware there is a correct and a incorrect way to position the stripes on 69/70 Shelby's regardless of if a convertible or a fastback. I see a lot that are done different then the way the stripe was designed and engineered to layout. Basically in the front the center stripe is centered or splits the front air scoop duct in the front fender and in the rear the center strip splits the reflector opening . In the rear after the stripe is applied the material over the rear marker light opening has a X sliced into it with a razor blade and the pie shapes are folded over to the inside of the trunk area. Improper application of the stripe is a very common mistake that restorers make. I see it all of the time. This is not to say that some factory stripes didn't get mis applied too. The workers were not given much time to apply their side. I have seen some horrendously bad crooked factory stripe jobs. If you are one of those that has to copy all of the mistakes done by the factory (not talking about factory sloppiness) then take a picture of the factory mis applied factory stripe for posterity if you plan on copying it. Besides explaining why you did something to others who notice how it is incorrect, in concours the stripe is expected to be as it was engineered to be applied unless you have some kind of reasonable proof to the contrary. Besides it just looks better aesthetically when done evenly like it was meant to be. The side stripes and how they are applied are a very important outside visual. If the rear reflectors are not centered it really stands out as uneven.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Stillakid54

• View Profile
Re: Proper 69/70 Shelby Side Stripe Placement.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 01:01:18 AM »
Thanks (again) Bob. On a 69/70 Shelby this is something that when wrong I always think, "what else did they miss"?
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 06:51:19 AM »
Bob,

Are you saying there are no variations that are acceptable per concours rules? Or is the above post more your personal opinion as to how "all" cars should be once they are being restored due to the aesthetics of the stripe layout? Is it wrong to copy the the way the car was originally delivered vs what is was supposed to be delivered as?

Asking for a friend  ;)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 11:23:47 AM »
Bob,

Are you saying there are no variations that are acceptable per concours rules? Or is the above post more your personal opinion as to how "all" cars should be once they are being restored due to the aesthetics of the stripe layout? Is it wrong to copy the the way the car was originally delivered vs what is was supposed to be delivered as?

Asking for a friend  ;)

Bill
Bill, you missed the part in my post where I said "If you are one of those that has to copy all of the mistakes done by the factory (not talking about factory sloppiness) then take a picture of the factory mis applied factory stripe for posterity if you plan on copying it. Besides explaining why you did something to others who notice how it is incorrect, in concours the stripe is expected to be as it was engineered to be applied unless you have some kind of reasonable proof to the contrary." If it is your car you can apply the stripe any way you see fit.If planning on showing in concours don't be surprised if there is a deduction unless you have reasonable proof that it was done the misapplied way. Without reasonable evidence to suggest otherwise the default is to the way the car was designed and engineered to be by Ford/Shelby. I think that is a very reasonable expectation. I personally don't think that someone who corrects a obvious mistake from the way the car was meant to be in the expectations of Ford/Shelby is doing discredit to the Marque. Of course even if you didn't document the misapplied original stripe you can still say you copied the crooked one but then to some it just comes off sounding like your making excuses for your mistake. That is why I suggest documenting it . At the end of the day it is your car so if you are happy with the results that is the most important thing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 11:45:50 AM »
I personally don't think that someone who corrects a obvious mistake from the way the car was meant to be in the expectations of Ford/Shelby is doing discredit to the Marque.
I did not overlook what you wrote, just wanted further clarification, that is all.
As for others of a similar install, what about Ed's purple convertible (I'm certain you have better shots of it as well as hands on experience  ;) ), I believe his side stripes are almost identical to mine based on the fuzzy picture allowed on Pete's site

I know we have seen a few others in vintage, time period pictures, but cannot find them this am. Perhaps you, Jeff, Ed, or Pete have them in your file folders and can share.

Bill

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
I personally don't think that someone who corrects a obvious mistake from the way the car was meant to be in the expectations of Ford/Shelby is doing discredit to the Marque.
I did not overlook what you wrote, just wanted further clarification, that is all.
As for others of a similar install, what about Ed's purple convertible (I'm certain you have better shots of it as well as hands on experience  ;) ), I believe his side stripes are almost identical to mine based on the fuzzy picture allowed on Pete's site

I know we have seen a few others in vintage, time period pictures, but cannot find them this am. Perhaps you, Jeff, Ed, or Pete have them in your file folders and can share.

Bill
Bill , I suppose you didn't miss the part in my post where I said "This is not to say that some factory stripes didn't get mis applied too. The workers were not given much time to apply their side. I have seen some horrendously bad crooked factory stripe jobs. "  ether .  I don't think I need to clarify further IMO. Your example is not the worst I have seen but thanks (not) for trolling for drama between ED and I.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 12:17:01 PM »
FYI just because one car has documentation on the way the car came from the factory that was different then it was meant to be like your example doesn't mean that is right for your car or anyone else's car too. The documentation for a deviation from the way the car was meant to be engineered claim would typically be for a specific car .

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
U can see in purple car photo stripe is off between lh door and fender. I was told women applied the stripes at aosmith  and a different person on lh vs rh side assembly  line at aosmith.  I have also seen lh side a little different than rh side on unrestored original cars especially on the verts having 16 pieces to install on each shelby convertible. Remember they werent building show cars on assembly line back in 69 but the side stripe was supposed to be in the middle of the rear quarter side marker light. Last 69 shelby convertible we installed side stripes we used a lazer light beam to keep stripe straight and lined up in the proper locations.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 12:38:51 PM »
Looking at bills orange car photo i dont think that is an original factory installed stripe done at aosmith. Look at center big stripe at the far rear they were cut straight off at end of quarter panel not curved like in orange car photo but the 2 small top stripes were cut at angle.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 02:10:21 PM »
Looking at bills orange car photo i dont think that is an original factory installed stripe done at aosmith. Look at center big stripe at the far rear they were cut straight off at end of quarter panel not curved like in orange car photo but the 2 small top stripes were cut at angle.

I cannot say for certain, but the x pattern was there when I pulled the side marker out. Since my car is a driver class car, I'm not overly concerned. Just curious for a little more "explaining"  :)

Bill

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 05:55:12 PM »
Bob, unfortunately mine are off in the back(too high). Since I am the one who striped my own car with the help of my painter I can only blame myself but then again I went white also. Fro my memory i took the original stripe dimensions from the stripes that are still inside my original doors to this day and marked off my doors. Making it a straight line(probably my mistake) the stripe rode a little high in the back. I went with that. Since then pics have come to light of my car when it was original. centered rear stripes. I can measure my car for door stripe placement since my original doors are tucked away in my attic with the original gold stripes in the inner door area . Pics of my car originally with gold and off with white. Live and learn... Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 06:01:28 PM »
If you don't have the laser like Ed used you can also use a string line to go from the front to the back marker light to get the stripe path.converts are much harder to do then fastbacks as has been mentioned.

eric lipper

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 11:25:00 PM »
Mine are straight but i like the white on the red car.  This is a little sideways to the original post but how do you know what color stripe was on the car.  Mine is candy apple red with a gold stripe.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 11:31:28 PM »
Mine are straight but i like the white on the red car.  This is a little sideways to the original post but how do you know what color stripe was on the car.  Mine is candy apple red with a gold stripe.
Because candy apple red only was offered with the gold stripe from the factory. The different color stripes were married to specific car colors . As Spec Ed says ""that's just the way it is".  shelbymann1970 has a candy red car and when he restored he used the white . It wasn't factory but that was his choice because he liked it better.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 07:08:18 AM »
....how do you know what color stripe was on the car.  Mine is candy apple red with a gold stripe

Exactly what Mr Gaines said...

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969paint

Stripes are coordinated to body color, it was not a choice
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:15:07 AM by Coralsnake »