News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1965 GT 350 steering wheels

Started by paul, September 06, 2020, 05:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

Chris ,
      Sorry I had my wires crossed on round and slot. I will correct my earlier post above.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Jim Herrud

On a related note, the GT350 5R002 appeared to have the slotted steering wheel with an aluminum ring showing around the rim exterior when it was auctioned this summer.

Was that unique to the '002 prototype? It looks like an AC Cobra wheel.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

Vernon Estes

Quote from: Jim Herrud on November 20, 2020, 12:54:46 PM
On a related note, the GT350 5R002 appeared to have the slotted steering wheel with an aluminum ring showing around the rim exterior when it was auctioned this summer.

Was that unique to the '002 prototype? It looks like an AC Cobra wheel.

16 inch cobra wheels were used on the first 150 +/1 cars, then they switched to 15 inchers.
The discussion here is specifically about 15 inch, slotted style wheels.

Kind regards,
Vern
Vern

Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Jim Herrud

Thx Vern. I appreciate the education.

5R002 is the inspiration for my '65 Mustang build. In my ignorance, I bought the Moto-Lita "Shelby Mustang OEM" 15" wheel. 
So now, Anyone wanna buy it? (Just kidding!)
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jim Herrud on November 20, 2020, 04:37:47 PM
Thx Vern. I appreciate the education.

5R002 is the inspiration for my '65 Mustang build. In my ignorance, I bought the Moto-Lita "Shelby Mustang OEM" 15" wheel. 
So now, Anyone wanna buy it? (Just kidding!)
Aside from the historical aspect FYI the 15 inch wheel is the prefered user friendly style.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

paul

My wheel in question. Disregard the aluminum hub, identifying/authenticating the steering wheel only is the object of the exercise. Thank you all, Paul.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: paul on November 20, 2020, 05:16:51 PM
My wheel in question. Disregard the aluminum hub, identifying/authenticating the steering wheel only is the object of the exercise. Thank you all, Paul.
The wood appears too thick compared to assemblyline wheels.  I have a repro wheel that looks identical to that.It is a obvious difference when I compare it to my genuine wheel. It is the next best thing to a period correct one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

paul

Thank you Bob. I have had several wheels over the years and do think original wheels did come in thick and thinner (wood rim) versions. Do you know who manufactured yours?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: paul on November 20, 2020, 05:52:31 PM
Thank you Bob. I have had several wheels over the years and do think original wheels did come in thick and thinner (wood rim) versions. Do you know who manufactured yours?
No mfg marking on ether wheel . It is identical in every way to the thin wood wheel I have. I like the feel of the thick wood wheel better personally but I have only found the thinner wood varieties that I could confirm as original. I hope that you can come up with some reasonable evidence to support your belief for the thicker wood rim original.  It would be in my best interest to be mistaken in this instance. Genuine provenience for the thick rim wheel I have extra hanging on my wall would be nice.

paul

Thank you Bob.
Only have two "Beliefs", My God and my country.

Vernon Estes

My opinion on the wheel Paul posted is that the thickness of the wheel does appear to be too thick. That said, can be hard to judge In a picture. The part that sticks out more to me is that the wheel doesn't (in my opinion from what I can tell in the pic) have a deep enough "dish" to it.

I do believer there were multiple runs of 65 slotted 15 inch wheels with there being some variation in rim thickness (the one posted still looks thicker than the thicker original run) but they all seem to have the same deeper dish than the wheel posted. I'd measure the dish on one but I'm out of 65 Shelby's at the shop currently  :P

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

paul

Vern, the dish measurement would be very helpful. Could others with only 15" slotted spoke wheels do the same? Thank you to all, Paul.

ramrace

If your car is equipped with a wheel like Bob's thicker wood wheel, how many point deduction would receive in a concors show?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: ramrace on November 21, 2020, 12:55:27 PM
If your car is equipped with a wheel like Bob's thicker wood wheel, how many point deduction would receive in a concors show?
If it didn't have the metal showing on the outside rim or a mfg mark and right offset then the thicker wood may not even get noticed by some.

gbart14

Do we know who manufactured steering wheels for the 65 GT350's. Were they all from Moto Lita? Or??
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286