Author Topic: 65 rear seat delete latch cover  (Read 4308 times)

65Clone

• View Profile
65 rear seat delete latch cover
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:46:27 AM »
I have seen a couple different covers and was wondering if they differed from 65's , carryovers, and 66's. I have seen some with 3 rivets and others with 4. Also is the cover fiberglass like the interior piece or vinyl? Thanks for the info.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 65 rear seat delete latch cover
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:51:13 AM »
I have seen a couple different covers and was wondering if they differed from 65's , carryovers, and 66's. I have seen some with 3 rivets and others with 4. Also is the cover fiberglass like the interior piece or vinyl? Thanks for the info.
You forgot steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

65Clone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »
Yes, I guess I was thinking vinyl covered steel. I have heard that the blanks for the delete was sourced from the same material that they made the interior of the door/frame panel from.   

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 06:28:06 PM »
This is the original latch delete cover for 5S228.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
Yes, I guess I was thinking vinyl covered steel. I have heard that the blanks for the delete was sourced from the same material that they made the interior of the door/frame panel from.
Yes the steel steel panel had the grain de bossed into the metal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 08:57:36 PM »
If memory serves my old butt, I had the panel off years ago and remember the plate constructed of fiberglass or similar material. Definitely not metal. But, I will take magnet out there and see for sure. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. May be able to get better pics of edges.
If someone happened to have a original latch delete made of fiberglass or whatever that stuff is, and would consider parting with it, I would be interested.
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:00:33 PM by mygt350 »
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
If memory serves my old butt, I had the panel off years ago and remember the plate constructed of fiberglass or similar material. Definitely not metal. But, I will take magnet out there and see for sure. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. May be able to get better pics of edges.
If someone happened to have a original latch delete made of fiberglass or whatever that stuff is, and would consider parting with it, I would be interested.
Thanks
The steel ones are thin and the fiberglass ones are thicker. You can tell by looking at the edge profile when installed.

65Clone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 11:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the picture mygt350. So fiberglass and steel were both used. Was there a cutoff date between the two? Did they all 4 rivets, or is the three screws in the one latch a repair of sorts?  Thanks for the replies.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
I might be wrong but I don’t think both metal and non- metal covers were originally used in 65.

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »
Hi Paul,
Do your cars have metal or non-metal. Checked mine (#275) and it's thin metal.
Texas Swede

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
The earlier '65s (maybe first two batches) used the fiberglass covers, and then the metal covers described here started being used.

6S162 has the fiberglass one.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
The metal panels used in the R models to replace the door panels were the same debossed grain . Coincidence ? I don't think so.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:11:25 PM by Bob Gaines »