Author Topic: Stolen, recovered and looking again  (Read 1834 times)

Craig Mazzola

• View Profile
Stolen, recovered and looking again
« on: September 07, 2020, 11:16:24 AM »
Thank you for allowing me into the group.  In 1982 I was lucky enough to purchase a 1966 Shelby, first observed at the world of wheels in Chicago.  The car was purchased in race trim, full cage, flares, american racing wheels, but had its original drive train.  This was going to be my for ever car.  I was 19 and saved and borrowed to own this piece of art, that I would transform back into stock trim.  Fast forward to 1992 and I am a Police Officer, a detective none the less when I get that call.  The Pennsylvania state police and NTSB contacting me and informing me that they believed my beloved car was a stolen re-tag from 1972.  I was the third owner since the theft, and the thief had the audacity to go to the original owner and attempt to extort the current owner of the car, as he believed the statue of limitations had expired from the theft, but, the new charge of extortion was a surprise to him. I lost the car, it went back to the original owner, and my life continued.  Well almost thirty years later, two careers, five children, no divorces and I am going to be pursuing a once in a shorter lifetime car.  I look forward to this purchasing journey, looking out of the eyes of a once 19 year old. 

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen, recovered and looking again
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 11:45:39 AM »
Welcome to the group! 

That would be horrible to have your prized car discovered as a previous stolen...and taken from you.

Glad to hear your are persevering, after all those years, and on the hunt for another Shelby.

You'll find the most knowledgeable guys in the Shelby world on this site.  Lots of great history too. 
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 12:07:52 PM »
Wow, what a story.

Hope you can share pictures, especially the old ones from when you first bought it.

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
That is a heartbreaking story and what makes it worse is it seems it could happen to any of us.

Good luck with your search.

Corey

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »

Here's hoping Mr. Mazzola that you find that dream car you should have had years ago. When you think you've found that special Shelby be sure to have the members here help you substantiate it's history. Good luck in the search!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 05:55:27 PM »
I hope you find your dream Shelby and time travel back to the age of 19.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Craig Mazzola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. I will dig up the pictures.  I am looking at a 65 on Thursday. Not much in the registry about the car.  Non original motor and trans.  In my price range and if I am interested I will be seeking out your input.  Thank you again.