Author Topic: Single Car trailer recommendations for towing a 1966 GT350?  (Read 9668 times)

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
Gentleman,

I can’t believe my good fortune: to purchase a car I have wanted in earnest for years AND then to have the humbling experience of being able to ask really important esoteric, and pedestrian questions, and to be earnestly helped by so many kind and like minded people. Thank you.

I am considering purchasing a trailer to load our 1966 GT350 into, and have the option of transporting the vehicle to, and from, places rather, than driving it; I am hoping some of you might be able to recommend a single car, enclosed, transport trailer.

Or in the alternative, perhaps recommend I stay away from a particular brand, size or ergonomic layout.

Thank very much for any help.

Mark Samson aka Tin, or Tinface

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Single Car trailer recommendations for towing a 1966 GT350?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
Whatever brand you buy be sure to get an escape door on the driver's side. I also built ramps with 2x12 lumber to make sure I had plenty of clearance on bottom of the door with a driver in the car. They also help with tie down duty by raising the car a additional 3". This doesn't sound like a lot but every little bit helps as you grow older :D

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
So lets start with your tow vehicle - what is its capability, then lets talk about your budget. This will put us in the right direction of helping you with a sound decision.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
So lets start with your tow vehicle - what is its capability, then lets talk about your budget. This will put us in the right direction of helping you with a sound decision.

X2
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 09:53:56 AM »
I recently Bought this in August of 2017.  It was built just 2 weeks before I bought it.  It is an 8.5x24 with dual 3500 LB Axles with Brakes on Both.  I paid just $3,995.00 for it.  For a little bit more I could have gotten the 5500 LB Axles and the extra Side Door. 

Tinface

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 10:42:51 AM »

X2

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:46:41 AM »
Also, be real with yourself on how much towing you are going to do.  Ive seen guys spend $25K on a Featherlite trailer and they use it about once a year, maybe. 

My suggestion, buy a good used trailer over 20ft but no more than 28ft with a single axle truck (F250 preferably) in the $3-5K range that is finished on the inside and not just plywood with a quality frame.  Unless you pull every week or two forget the aluminum trailers as they arn't worth the expense and their additional price tag of $7-10K more will buy you a lot of fuel.

If you have a F150 non FWD make sure you look at how much it will tow with the manufacturers specs and pick your trailer from there.  Talk to a reputable place near you that specializes in enclosed trailers and tell them the size of the car your interested in pulling and see what they recommend.  You don't have to purchase from them but it will give you an idea. 

You can buy an older trailer that has been taken care of (most people buy higher end thinking they will use it and don't) and you can get a great deal.  There are differences, so stay away from the lower quality (They advertise brand new for a really low price) as you are transporting a valuable car.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:48:24 AM by Greg »
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »
What would be the smallest trailer required [length wise] to haul a GT-350?

Steve
SFM 6S406

Tinface

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 10:58:24 AM »

X2

427Heaven—your right on the money here. The tow vehicle—what’s the budget$ (10,000 max for the trailer I suppose.

Although I hate the thought of purchasing another truck to tow the trailer, that is precisely what I expect I’ll have to concede to do:otherwise I would have to hitch up to my 430 Lexus or my 1940 Ford pickup with a 110 hp flat head & a 3 speed with a gear splitter. Doubtful those will tow the trailer with the car in it safely—or would they—could they?

Perhaps I’ll have to be forced to consider purchasing either another Toyota Tundra, I’ve purchased two new of them new, or a better yet, a diesel powered truck of some sort—which means 6 cars at or around our city house where the tech neighbors already give me those sidelong looks as they walk past on the sidewalk in front of our homme with their doodles, phones in hand, and a baby stroller between the silent couple.

Good grief. The inefficiency...I should have dreamed a bigger dream so I could live a bigger dream!

Thoughts?

Tinface

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »
What would be the smallest trailer required [length wise] to haul a GT-350?

Steve

Great question...

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »
May I suggest Trailex,  All aluminum sports car trailer.   I trailer my KR everywhere with it.   My tow vehicle is a 2000 Lightning.  I don't even know its back there.  Great trailer and light as hell.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »
I'll throw in my two cents ;) For a GT350 I would say the minimum length would be 18'. Unless you're planning to carry a lot of parts, equipment, tires I don't see a need for anything longer. A quality aluminum frame trailer is lighter making for an easier tow. You may want to check out Montrose trailers   http://montrosetrailers.com/ I have one with an 'escape' door on both sides. I also had E-Tracks installed and use straps over the tires. I can tie down the car without having to climb under the car and even do it without getting into the trailer.  I'd also suggest the widest interior, about 94"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufxXH3fcIvQ

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »
I would buy a couple years used all aluminum like a Featherlite 24 foot and that’s all you need to know.
Probably be about 10k.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »
Neither of your two current choices can safely tow your gt350, open or enclosed. You need to think of gross weight and wheelbase of the tow vehicle. Diesel full size pick up and a 20 enclosed trailer would be suggested to keep prying eyes and hands from your 250K+ weekend toy
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Tinface

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
Your right about that Bill. Thank you.