News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

70 Shelby gt 500 underlayment mat trunk detail / black out info 9 69 car

Started by bobboss351, September 10, 2020, 12:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobboss351

Thank you in advance,
looking for some final assembly details,   Looking for some information,  6 9 1969 , GT 500 ,

refer to the pics supplied,   

Does the black out carry over to the frt lower valance on the  69/70 shelby, or is it only around the the inner fender area? 
refer to pic
 also,  there is a pic of the frt spoiler hardware, just a fyi,, thoughts, 

How is the underlayment go in the trunk, Around the the antenna base and the spare tire area,  the underlayment goes all the way over to the quarter panel, Does it get folded over like a boss 429 ? pics ?
looking for front core support hardware pics, I have the originals with all different shims and self tappers and different bolts, I would like to see what other cars had and if im in the right for assembly the  frt end, 
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

shelbymann1970

I was fortunate that my lower blackout was still visible on a repaint to a non original transparent color. It is blacked out around the parking lamps. I do not have any pics here at work but can supply some if other don't. I owned 2 70 Shelbys and both spoilers were bolted up much differently and both had unmolested original front valances. I think it was what we would call a dealer preference? I can take pictures also of my taped front shims and hardware-Ed  pointed to mine a few decades ago and said to add tape which I did. Now the tape has some good patina. LOL Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

bobboss351

Gary,,
that is great information, i did locate some very good pics from the concours forum on the park lamp area black out,,,
Got the frt spoiler and hardware from Ed so , Cannot go wrong with that, the valance was cracked and  fixed  no spoiler, so looking for the correct hardware and location,,,,
  Does you car have the plastic inner splash shields behind the galvanized inner plate,,,, owns were missing both frt ,,,
do you have any pics of the trunk underlayment matt area, , Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bobboss351 on September 10, 2020, 01:36:34 PM
Gary,,
that is great information, i did locate some very good pics from the concours forum on the park lamp area black out,,,
Got the frt spoiler and hardware from Ed so , Cannot go wrong with that, the valance was cracked and  fixed  no spoiler, so looking for the correct hardware and location,,,,
  Does you car have the plastic inner splash shields behind the galvanized inner plate,,,, owns were missing both frt ,,,
do you have any pics of the trunk underlayment matt area, , Bob
Bob, the front plastic splash shields that screw to the galvanized shield are the same as regular 69 Mustang front shield.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Bunch of questions all packed in one post :)

Quote from: bobboss351 on September 10, 2020, 12:47:01 PM
Looking for some information,  6 9 1969 , GT 500 ,

Does the black out carry over to the frt lower valance on the  69/70 shelby, or is it only around the the inner fender area?

The black goes over to the inboard side of the turn indicator area as shown in other pictures on the concours site. Plenty of pictures of that detail in a number of threads

No inner fender with the front end when it was painted (painted off the car) and other black outs to the front end (back/top side of the lower valance) was not connected to the turn indicator details as one was shot from the front and one from the back

Quote from: bobboss351 on September 10, 2020, 12:47:01 PMHow is the underlayment go in the trunk, Around the the antenna base and the spare tire area,  the underlayment goes all the way over to the quarter panel, Does it get folded over like a boss 429 ?

You didn't supply if your car is a fastback or convertible - guess fastback. If so it used the typical 69 Mach I style underlayment that progresses up and onto the top of the trunk floor on both sides. Not sure what "folded over" refers to

In the drivers side (since they had to install the antenna and taillight box) depending they were torn at the base of the antenna to clear (example convertibles) and sometimes just flopped over the taillight box. On the passenger side its pretty much just like a Boss 302

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

bobboss351

RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

bobboss351

Thank you Jeff,
Sorry about multiple questions, Yes, Fastback,
   got the details for the park lamps from the concours forum as you recommend, been going back and forth,,, sorry if that is driving you guys crazy,,, lol
Jacks Underlayment   has a place cut our for the standard full size spare  " hold down loop ",,  the space spare spare bracket,  is not cut out . Im to assume that this is folded under or cut off???? since not all cars got a space saver or was this  ordered or made in error,
I cannot remember , But i think the 69 boss 429 were cut at the right trunk drop,,,,,  i have no other experiences with 69 other than boss 429 cars,,, 
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

J_Speegle

Quote from: bobboss351 on September 10, 2020, 04:42:43 PM
Jacks Underlayment   has a place cut our for the standard full size spare  " hold down loop ",,  the space spare spare bracket,  is not cut out . Im to assume that this is folded under or cut off???? since not all cars got a space saver or was this  ordered or made in error,
I cannot remember , But i think the 69 boss 429 were cut at the right trunk drop,,,,,  i have no other experiences with 69 other than boss 429 cars,,,

Some pictures of unrestored late examples to hopefully show what was done. Sorry not pretty or perfect cars :)

Not sure why on this car the taillight control box is pulled up so high

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

The trunk mat (not the underlayment) got folded under on lh side 69 boss 429  because of spare mount on lh side.