Author Topic: 67 carbon fiber "Eleanor" Classic Recreation  (Read 3537 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
67 carbon fiber "Eleanor" Classic Recreation
« on: September 12, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »
Has anyone seen the article today in the Detroit Free Press regarding a new, starting at $298,000 carbon fiber "Eleanor"? Twenty-five are to be built and listed in the Shelby Registry!????? Hopefully these are not included in any SAAC Registry! Maybe their own registry, but do not dilute the real cars with these recreations from "rusted" junk Mustangs. I believe the article stated that the Ford VIN's will be used and new Shelby numbers assigned. Just not right! What do you think?

Don
gt350bp   

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 carbon fiber "Eleanor" Classic Recreation
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 12:13:08 PM »
Has anyone seen the article today in the Detroit Free Press regarding a new, starting at $298,000 carbon fiber "Eleanor"? Twenty-five are to be built and listed in the Shelby Registry!????? Hopefully these are not included in any SAAC Registry! Maybe their own registry, but do not dilute the real cars with these recreations from "rusted" junk Mustangs. I believe the article stated that the Ford VIN's will be used and new Shelby numbers assigned. Just not right! What do you think?

Don
gt350bp   
Don,it has been done before a number of times with other Shelby car recreations in recent years. Shelby in Vegas has their ongoing registry for the cars they make which also includes the ones that others pay them for licensing so that they can make . If it is refereed to as Elinor then they will have to get licensing from the Elinor trademark holder Lady (35K from what others paying for it selling cars at BJ this past Jan said) . They keep track just to be sure anyone using the name has paid them for it. The same I am sure goes for Shelby in Vegas if it has a Shelby identification on it. Maybe/probably one is built as proof of concept and they hope that buyers will think it is the next big thing and buy into the hype and plunk down a big deposit to order one.That has also been done by other licensed companies before with unfortunate endings for buyers in the past.  25 makes it sound very exclusive and collectible. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 12:19:24 PM »
For that sort of coin you could get an Uber,Uber sweet authentic 67 GT 500,so.......Different strokes for different folks I guess. :o

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »
"Elinor" I like that.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 12:35:55 PM »
"Elinor" I like that.
I will not amend my typo because It is silly concept regardless how it is spelt :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »
Interesting about the licensing.   I wonder if your average guy buys a kit from Mustangs To Fear and builds their own clone, are they living in fear of a call from a lawyer?  Or only when they advertise to sell it?

Nowhere in the article or on the Classic Recreations website do they mention the “E” word.  I noticed they don’t use the E hood.  After all these years in business, they must know what subtle differences are needed to avoid a licensing fee.

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »
If it is the one i haver seen on instagram.  That company making them does prettty cool stuff.  Would be awesome resto mod.  I think the body is 2  inches wider on top of the 1/4s and flares are built into fenders and 1/4s and look really good.  The Dodge charger body the did is really cool and was on display at SEMA  with the new Mercury racing motor like 1650HP i think and has warranty!   Dont get me wrong I like my orginal stuff but this stuff is coming on strong...

chris

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 01:01:05 PM »
$300K thats a lot of brewskis.....u kan hava....

For that sort of coin you could get an Uber,Uber sweet authentic 67 GT 500,so.......Different strokes for different folks I guess. :o
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 01:36:52 PM »
As posted on the Shelby American shop Las Vegas site:
https://www.shelby.com/Vehicles/Shelby-GT500CR

8)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »
"Elinor" I like that.
I will not amend my typo because It is silly concept regardless how it is spelt :D

I like it because it imparts the respect the cars deserve.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 05:35:13 PM »
Interesting about the licensing.   I wonder if your average guy buys a kit from Mustangs To Fear and builds their own clone, are they living in fear of a call from a lawyer?  Or only when they advertise to sell it?

Nowhere in the article or on the Classic Recreations website do they mention the “E” word.  I noticed they don’t use the E hood.  After all these years in business, they must know what subtle differences are needed to avoid a licensing fee.
I goggled -" youtube eleanor car confiscated " and all kinds of articles came up. Even legal issues if your building your own personal E tribute.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
Well, it is a "carbon" copy.  ::)

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 07:14:19 PM »

I goggled -" youtube eleanor car confiscated " and all kinds of articles came up. Even legal issues if your building your own personal E tribute.

Wow, I did too after reading your post and you aren’t kidding.  I did find one story that said Classic Recreations got a license from her in 2008.  I hope they’ve since found a way out of paying that fee every time.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 08:24:55 PM »

Wow, I did too after reading your post and you aren’t kidding.  I did find one story that said Classic Recreations got a license from her in 2008.  I hope they’ve since found a way out of paying that fee every time.
A friend selling a car at BJ this year was able to negotiate down the price because he said he knew her so I guess it can be done.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:34:35 PM by Bob Gaines »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 08:46:55 PM »
Trademark law are such that you can copy anything you want for your personal use. As soon as you try to make money on it you run into problems.

Shelby Inc will license anything - it's about bringing $$ in the door.

Shelby Registry = the registry of cars that the current company keeps track of their sales. They will never publish it. They don't want anyone to know that there are well north of 100,000 newer Mustangs, Cobras, Trucks, etc running around. It kills "rare" and "collectible" as usable words in an ad.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless