News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 Shelby wheel cover rings

Started by gt350bp, September 13, 2020, 09:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

Finally pulled out the four 68 Shelby hubcaps I bought and find that three are painted in the reveal area next to the center emblem and one is polished chrome. Just want to confirm that they should be painted a medium charcoal in the reveal area adjacent to the emblem?

I like the chrome look better, but one of the center castings I have has some corrosion pitting, so the paint would hide this better. Pulled all four apart and they are a complicated multi-piece stamped stainless ring and friction ring that I assume is crimped while being manufactured. I can see why nobody would be interested in stamping these!

Have been experimenting with detailing and painting the cast center hub and find that a 1" diameter gasket cutter covers the simulate lug nuts and washers. (Same could be accomplished with a 1" O.D. plastic pipe, reamed and beveled to fit snuggly on the simulated lug nuts to prevent paint overspray.) I know the concourse method is to leave a trapezoidal area around the lug nut unpainted, but I think since my wheel covers are driver quality, I'm going to paint around the lug nut and washers? 

What is the best method to remove the old center emblems? Is there a good release agent that will only affect the adhesive and not ruin the emblem itself?

All input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Don
gt350bp     

Coralsnake

There are three painted colors on the hubcap. The recessed border around the emblem is also painted, the gray metallic color.

KDunne

Quote from: TLea on September 22, 2020, 06:54:43 PM
Trust me. Good centers a lot harder to find than restorable dishes
So true

gt350bp

FYI. Used Xylene to soften and remove the wheel emblem. Took about 20 minutes for the Xylene to soften the adhesive if trying to save the original emblems.
Xylene did not affect the argent or medium grey metallic original finishes.

Don
gt350bp