Author Topic: security cameras  (Read 6484 times)

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: security cameras
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
I've been using the Blink cameras from Amazon for about a month now and I like them. I have to cover multiple locations and there's no power readily accessible so the battery power is much easier. They were easy to set up, have great picture quality and I can adjust the sensitivity of the motion sensor (not the field of view though). My wife and I both have the app on our phones and the notifications come to both of us within seconds. Plus Amazon has up to 14 days of cloud storage at no cost and I can easily email a video clip to myself if I want to keep the video forever. The only downside I've found so far is that you can't talk back. However, the incoming audio quality and sensitivity is great.
~Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
I have no complaints with mine. Reception is constant and the area of motion coverage can be focused to a smaller range that excludes moving shrubs. Mine does pick up the off feral cat in the area but makes for entertainment during the day. Plus you can go to live video any time you want.

+1

Sensitivity and area can be adjusted.

If you compare security cameras, you get a lot more than you pay for with the WYZE cameras.

Amazing what you get for $26 shipped.

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »

I use them also but need to add, they are not 100% reliable. They have a very limited range. They are constantly dropping out of communication with the central unit.

Seemingly everything interferes with the reception. Birds are constantly perching on them, the wind moves them, squirrels chew on them.

If you choose to correct that with your AR14/15, try not to hit the camera. Use a stand and a scope for accuracy and a short load?  ;)

I all depend on what you are looking for. I you want a more reliable camera that eliminates swaying objects and small objects(birds,cats) then you need a better camera. A cheap camera is going to offer limited or no analytics.

This is truly a case of you get what you pay for

Chris
Chris is 100% correct. You don’t need to spend a lot of money. The difference between a $25 camera in an $80 camera is night and day.  Speaking of knight and day the better cameras have better LEDs in do not need night vision as they are so light sensitive. I can look over my parking lot and see 100% of what’s out there.  Also regarding  unreliable I disagree as well. If you’re not getting good communication then you probably have a problem with your Internet system assuming they are on Wi-Fi. Other factors such as the shielding of the walls will coming to play if used on outdoor unit.
 We have multiple cameras in many indoor and outdoor locations at both of our buildings and they are 100% reliable all of the time. I even have mine on that battery back ups of the power fails they still will function.

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »
Tim,

What brand are you talking about?  I'm very satisfied with the WYZECAM for my application and have had no issues but curious what  cameras you have.

The problems ShelbyDoug are talking about could be user error unless he has a lot of birds and squirrels in his drafty house as the WYZECAMs are indoor only at this point.  ;)

These cameras are great! Add a micro SD card and record days of activity, even create time lapse video.
You'll not believe the quality of the image on your phone from a $20. camera.

Exactly...

Rod
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:20:13 PM by Rodster-500 »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »
Tim,

What brand are you talking about?  I'm very satisfied with the WYZECAM for my application and have had no issues but curious what  cameras you have.

The problems ShelbyDoug are talking about could be user error unless he has a lot of birds and squirrels in his drafty house as the WYZECAMs are indoor only at this point.  ;)

These cameras are great! Add a micro SD card and record days of activity, even create time lapse video.
You'll not believe the quality of the image on your phone from a $20. camera.

Exactly...

Rod

...and don't forget bats in my belfry?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 05:59:49 PM »
In effort to build on an existing thread and simplify future searches, is there now a system that has become the clear choice in the two years since this thread was started?  My criteria is Reliability.  Simplicity. Cordless cameras not subjectable to hacking,  High image resolution. Outside weather proof. Recall images days later. Cell phone alerts for after hours activity.  No on-going fees.  At this moment, who's product is a best choice?

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 07:09:34 PM »
That's a great idea! I will look into it!

Best regards,

Richard E.
2 years later mine is still working and keeping vigilance.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

6s1139

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »
In effort to build on an existing thread and simplify future searches, is there now a system that has become the clear choice in the two years since this thread was started?  My criteria is Reliability.  Simplicity. Cordless cameras not subjectable to hacking,  High image resolution. Outside weather proof. Recall images days later. Cell phone alerts for after hours activity.  No on-going fees.  At this moment, who's product is a best choice?

I have been through this a few times - think you also need to have a view of how you want the camera to function

1 - constant recording (like most shops have), this really rules out battery
2 - one you are/disarm manually (eg like you house alarm, active when you are out)
3 - automatically arming (motion or geofencing), can be a pain in high traffic areas
4 - other

For me, the Geofencing was critical (my cars are in a separate shed, wanted the alarm to automatically disarm when my mobile was close, auto arm when I am away). Not many do this, I have an old system (Kidde RemoteLync) of 4 cameras that works really well but not 2K video and the batteries last around a month), recently upgraded to a new Arlo system (good quality but OS is a little flaky and you need to subscribe to keep videos)

For your situation - maybe the EufyCam2 comes with a 365 day battery, indoor only but seems to be getting some good reviews

Its a moving target though, new stuff coming out all the time

cheers

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the Arlo system.  Not horribly opposed to their modest monthly cloud fee.  Liability appears to be propitiatory batteries that have to be recharged every 3-6 months, and freezing temperature battery failure.  Seems there's compromise with every product.  Speaking with police regarding a recent incident, some low end cameras lack resolution to make arrests and prosecution.  The Arlo 2K cameras should be sufficient.  For reference, the last person I caught rifling thru my car may still be eating thru a straw.

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 02:16:10 PM »
I'm still pretty happy with the Blink cameras. I did add one of the current two-way audio models and it works better than I thought it would. Battery life has been 12+ months and the lithium AA batteries aren't terribly expensive. The free storage is way more than I need for two weeks worth of recording (6 cameras). Because they can be easily disabled (or stolen) I have them arranged so that every camera is watched by at least one other camera, so if someone were to try and disable one I would have video of it.

The negatives are false triggers of the motion sensors by frogs, insects and wind. Frogs love to sit on them. The other issue that I have is my Internet connection - crappy DSL (500K upload/5Mb download max). The upload limitation causes a bit of delay from alarm event to notification of my phone (30-60 seconds usually). But someone causing trouble isn't going to be gone in under 60 seconds (that only happens in the movies!). ~Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt