Author Topic: Western Oregon Fires  (Read 3911 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
Western Oregon Fires
« on: September 15, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »
Scary times last week.  Last Monday night September 7th 100+ mph east wind gusts pushed fires in the Cascade Mountains west towards Salem, Molalla and Estacada Oregon.  Over the next few days several communities including Detroit, Idanha, Gates, Mill City, Mehama, Lyons, Scotts Mills, Colton and others had catastrophic loses.  Not to mention all the other fires going on at the same time near Lincoln City, Newberg, Roseburg, Eugene, and Ashland.   Absolutley craziness. 

Homes, barns, animals, and several people's lives have been lost due to the fires.  The fires have been contained for the most part since Saturday, but there is still a tremendous amount of work being done.  Power crews are working around the clock repairing down power lines.  Cleanup crews are working to remove dead animals.  Crews are clearing fallen trees and rocks in the highways.  Then there is the police that are protecting what is left and fighting off looters and catching arsonists.  Hopefully we are through the scariest parts, but there is so much more rebuild and cleanup ahead.

I moved my cars to safety last Tuesday. What a job that is.... Growing up on the dry side of Oregon makes me always nervous about fire danger.
I have seen it happen too often in my lifetime. Maybe not having so much "stuff" is a good thing! A couple of weeks ago on the radio I heard there is a new trend called "Fall cleaning" instead of Spring cleaning. I am ok with that, this is a good excuse to move some stuff along. Less to worry about for the next disaster.

I am lucky and grateful the fire didn't get to my place. I feel very sad for the folks that cannot say that. This is going to be a long rebuild period. This Sunday, September 20th in Stayton, OR at Regis High School is a cruise-in to help raise funds to support the Santiam Canyon Wildfire Relief Fund.

Here are a few great articles of civilians that jumped in and helped (the articles only capture a fraction of the people who are helping)  Everyone put aside their differences, banded together and helped where ever is needed.  These folks are still helping today too.  Even in a natural disaster we have great people doing great things.  These articles and actions give me hope for our world.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/09/behind-the-firelines-the-race-to-save-scotts-mills.html?fbclid=IwAR1i4-YBa9ur2iUHKPDoRSadliCfKohRvtDcSwguPSfNEfyxolJ_K18zNSM

https://canbyfirst.com/all-volunteer-redneck-crew-credited-with-saving-molalla-neighborhood/?fbclid=IwAR3R4rHegmIZqRjsEMJjr5vzWH5GtnytAEat4JfitoZDWYdg6Ft_erp_ZCM

I realize there is also a great deal of fires going on in Washington and California as well.  I wish everyone safety and hope everyone can make it through this.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:34:21 PM by silverton_ford »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Western Oregon Fires
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the updates.  Glad to hear you got your cars out.

Be careful out there.  I lived in the SoCal hills for decades and know how scary fire can be.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:55:17 PM »
Good to hear you & your cars got out of the fire zone safely! We have the smokey haze of the western US wildfires all the way up in BC, Canada.

Years ago I bought a '65 GT350 from Paradise, California. When the wildfires completely wiped out Paradise a couple of years ago I contacted the previous owner to check on him and make sure he got out safely. Turned out he had rather luckily moved to western Oregon only a couple of years earlier. Last year he messaged me to let me know he was moving to Florida, and while packing found a couple of items that belonged with the Shelby and mailed them to me. Seems like he was lucky twice!

Good luck to you!
65 GT350

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 01:17:01 AM »
So glad you are ok Brian.  The fire images from Oregon have been scary.

And thanks for the story links.  Really good people.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 06:54:36 AM »
Very scary - the smoke is even impacting us here on the east coast in Virginia.

Fingers crossed the weather change will help.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
AP photo from Phoenix, OR.

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »
If only California and other states would take precautions to prevent this from happening. But when some can use it to instill an agenda.....etc.
RARE  Signature Delete

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 02:16:16 PM »
My heart goes out to those that are suffering. I have read of some who were burned alive.

Hope the victims can find peace and comfort soon.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 07:02:26 PM »
If only California and other states would take precautions to prevent this from happening. But when some can use it to instill an agenda.....etc.

California has hundreds of millions of Acres and about 60% of the forests are controlled by the federal government which does very little to help with fire abatement. When most of this started we had over 1,100 lightning strikes setting off hundreds of fires so you can't exactly blame it on California alone. Instead of trying to lay blame donate somewhere to make life better.

Roy in Brentwood, Northern California
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »

California has hundreds of millions of Acres and about 60% of the forests are controlled by the federal government which does very little to help with fire abatement. When most of this started we had over 1,100 lightning strikes setting off hundreds of fires so you can't exactly blame it on California alone. Instead of trying to lay blame donate somewhere to make life better.

OK
RARE  Signature Delete

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »
If only California and other states would take precautions to prevent this from happening. ............................

+1 At least take steps should be done to limit and/or decrease the numbers of acres burnt when mother nature happens.

California has hundreds of millions of Acres and about 60% of the forests are controlled by the federal government which does very little to help with fire abatement. When most of this started we had over 1,100 lightning strikes setting off hundreds of fires so you can't exactly blame it on California alone.

Didn't see where anyone stated California only. Elements of special interest groups have been part of forest management across the country include BLM for decades. Remember Yellowstone.  We do need to find what went wrong (placing blame is another way to say it) to reduce the chances of a repeat. Short sided with no refelction of the possible unintended consequences.

And yes donated last year and years before in time and $$'s but tiring of it when the losses could be have been reduced in many cases.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:01:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »
Glad you got out safely & looks like a good idea to own your trailer ,when you live in fire vulnerable places & own multiple cars .
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 07:22:45 AM »

I AGREE. Listening on NPR radio going to work yesterday morning(just got sirius) they were talking to some "experts"  about forest management out west as it has come in the news politically lately. It was said in Calif the Fed govt owns the majority of the forests and California themselves own about 3 percent and the rest is privately owned. So for anyone to bash Calif govt on forest mgt is just off base. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 09:54:35 AM »
If only California and other states would take precautions to prevent this from happening. ............................

+1 At least take steps should be done to limit and/or decrease the numbers of acres burnt when mother nature happens.

California has hundreds of millions of Acres and about 60% of the forests are controlled by the federal government which does very little to help with fire abatement. When most of this started we had over 1,100 lightning strikes setting off hundreds of fires so you can't exactly blame it on California alone.

Didn't see where anyone stated California only. Elements of special interest groups have been part of forest management across the country include BLM for decades. Remember Yellowstone.  We do need to find what went wrong (placing blame is another way to say it) to reduce the chances of a repeat. Short sided with no refelction of the possible unintended consequences.

And yes donated last year and years before in time and $$'s but tiring of it when the losses could be have been reduced in many cases.

Thanks, so true. There are many precautions States can do to reduce the damage. Some won't hear of it.
RARE  Signature Delete