Author Topic: tri-y headers and h-pipe question  (Read 5769 times)

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
Re: tri-y headers and h-pipe question
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »
I did Tony Branda tri ys on my 65 and was happy with them after coating.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 06:34:55 AM »
rraceme I believe I understand what you are saying in that you aren't looking for a perfect, concours exhaust just a good set.  You can take a picture and go to a local muffler shop and they will fabricate an H pipe at a reasonable price and in fact do the entire exhaust less the headers.  Purchase the headers from Jim and you can also call Cobra Automotive and see what they have.  In my opinion, the Scott Fuller exhaust is for folks that are shooting for a vehicle to be judged. 

That kind of quality at an affordable price (compared to mass aftermarket) doesn't go hand in hand.  I own a machine and fabrication shop and craftsmanship is expensive.   
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 08:31:19 AM »
I understand completely. If having the best parts available is not a priority, then you are left with....well....what's left

Maybe you have identified an opportunity?

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »
I did Tony Branda tri ys on my 65 and was happy with them after coating.

Rickmustang. Did you use Jet-coating for your protection? what color did you select? guessing black. lastly how long ago did you do your Branda headers and how has the finish held up? Thanks Fred
SFM 6S2227

pjg01

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
i recently cut the dual exhaust off my 66 gt350 to install a 65 style side exit exhaust.

I love the sound now and would have given you my old exhaust it was very recently replaced.

I live in central va and you can have it if you want. need a little welding to put back together.

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 09:20:48 AM »
i recently cut the dual exhaust off my 66 gt350 to install a 65 style side exit exhaust.

I love the sound now and would have given you my old exhaust it was very recently replaced.

I live in central va and you can have it if you want. need a little welding to put back together.

PJG01 - Thank you for your generous offer. I plan to put a new exhaust system on my car when i start reassembly. Im still 18 months from that point. But I do like to plan out every detail of my restorations. Im finishing one of my Clone 66 GT350 now and though I'm pleased with the 1000.00 system i purchased. I want better for my real GT350 when i start it. Right now I'm hoping to hear feedback from other owners on header & H pipes & systems they used in their builds. Ive found all members on this forum have a lot of wisdom and a desire to share their experiences - which i plan to utilize in designing my exhaust system.
thank you for your offer! BTW- i bet the 65 exhaust set on your car sounds great!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:27:01 AM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227

Boxerville's Manor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 03:52:34 PM »

PJG01 - Thank you for your generous offer. I plan to put a new exhaust system on my car when i start reassembly. Im still 18 months from that point. But I do like to plan out every detail of my restorations. Im finishing one of my Clone 66 GT350 now and though I'm pleased with the 1000.00 system i purchased. I want better for my real GT350 when i start it. Right now I'm hoping to hear feedback from other owners on header & H pipes & systems they used in their builds. Ive found all members on this forum have a lot of wisdom and a desire to share their experiences - which i plan to utilize in designing my exhaust system.
thank you for your offer! BTW- i bet the 65 exhaust set on your car sounds great!

I sent you a PM.  Can you give me a call? 

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 06:43:58 PM »
rraceme I believe I understand what you are saying in that you aren't looking for a perfect, concours exhaust just a good set.  You can take a picture and go to a local muffler shop and they will fabricate an H pipe at a reasonable price and in fact do the entire exhaust less the headers.  Purchase the headers from Jim and you can also call Cobra Automotive and see what they have.  In my opinion, the Scott Fuller exhaust is for folks that are shooting for a vehicle to be judged. 

That kind of quality at an affordable price (compared to mass aftermarket) doesn't go hand in hand.  I own a machine and fabrication shop and craftsmanship is expensive.

This is your best bet. I crunched a collector on 843 getting it off the trailer at Willow in the early 80s. I ended up sticking some 4 tube on it. Local shop did a crossover just behind the rear trans mount. Couple of glass packs and side exit and I was done. I'm saddened to see that these fun to drive cars now require $4,000 exhaust and $20,000 paint jobs. I don't enjoy going to shows anymore where the only difference in the cars is the date codes on the sheet metal and glass. Give me day 2 cars that tell a story.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Boxerville's Manor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 11:16:26 PM »

This is your best bet. I crunched a collector on 843 getting it off the trailer at Willow in the early 80s. I ended up sticking some 4 tube on it. Local shop did a crossover just behind the rear trans mount. Couple of glass packs and side exit and I was done. I'm saddened to see that these fun to drive cars now require $4,000 exhaust and $20,000 paint jobs. I don't enjoy going to shows anymore where the only difference in the cars is the date codes on the sheet metal and glass. Give me day 2 cars that tell a story.

great perspective.  You've just helped me make my decision.  I am not trying to win trophies at car shows.  I want to run the heck out of my 66 kar and not worry about it. 

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 08:56:14 AM »
I've been running the Tony Branda tri-y's for twenty years now. I had them coated after fitting and they still look OK with over 16,000 miles. A local shop made the h-pipe and I used 28" long 2 1/2" Thrush glass packs and side exhaust. The mufflers only last about 6-7 years, as I'm getting ready to install my third set of mufflers. This makes a good exhaust system for someone that intends to drive their car. If running a Lakewood blow-proof bellhousing, must trim the the block plate and bellhousing flanges for header clearance as well as for the lower clutch rod. Make a HD lower adjustable clutch rod out of 1/2" diameter steel and temper the tip, as the clutch pivot location is slightly different than stock and will exert more force on the lower rod. Stock rod will bend especially if using a HD clutch and pressure plate. There is no interference with the tri-y's to the quick steer idler or Pitman arm.

Don
gt350bp

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
Don- 20 years and headers still good - that is great- got to be a record! Who did your header coating? Ive used Jet-hot in the past and been happy with their product. Fred
SFM 6S2227

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 10:34:05 PM »
i bought jim cowles headers. then i bought scott fullers H pipe. it bolted up perfectly.
get jims headers but have them powder coated locally.
1966 GT350 6s1761

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 11:06:15 PM »
I had my Branda headers coated by a company in Orlando, FL called Hyperkote. They are still in business under the name Performance Kote. They are a silver ceramic coating.

Don
gt350bp
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:10:14 PM by gt350bp »