Author Topic: tri-y headers and h-pipe question  (Read 5772 times)

Boxerville's Manor

• View Profile
tri-y headers and h-pipe question
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:18:43 PM »
Gents,
I am in the market to buy tri-y headers and an h-pipe for my 66 fastback k-code.  I was looking at Scott Fuller Reproductions.  Scott Fuller sells a gt-350 h-pipe reproduction but there is a disclaimer:  "Note:  This H-pipe will fit original Tri-Y headers.  It may not fit aftermarket headers."  So that leaves me with this question:  Does anyone sell an exact reproduction of Tri-y headers?

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
Re: tri-y headers and h-pipe question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 07:42:30 PM »
Have you looked at Shelby Parts & Restoration Tri-Y headers?

https://shelbypartsstore.com/?product=product-3

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »
Have you looked at Shelby Parts & Restoration Tri-Y headers?

https://shelbypartsstore.com/?product=product-3

I can say that I bought a set of Jim’s headers last year and they are excellent and an exact match for my original H pipe.

6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
I got a email from Scott Fuller on Saturday stating that the new headers (Tri y's ) are finally done .He has been working on them for a couple years. I do not know any other particulars. You will have to contact him for that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
I used Jim Cowels headers and Scott Fullers H Pipe and exhaust system on my 66 and all fit perfectly.  Scott has told me he is making headers for 65/66, I have not seen them.

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:48:20 PM »
+1 on Jim's headers..they mounted flawlessly with no clearance issues with the zbar..

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:59 PM »
Jim’s headers and Scott’s H pipe fit perfectly when installed 2 yrs ago.
1966 GT350 6s1761

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 10:07:33 PM »
I got a email from Scott Fuller on Saturday stating that the new headers (Tri y's ) are finally done .He has been working on them for a couple years. I do not know any other particulars. You will have to contact him for that.

I'd heard that too!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »
Fellow members- I know Jim Cowels headers & Scott Fuller exhaust are absolutely incredible & amazing. But not all Shelby owners can afford  4 thousand (include Jim's headers) dollars for a complete exhaust system. Are there other more affordable headers and h pipes worthy of our cars? Are there more affordable header units which are an exact match of the original? I'm curious to read about others Shelby owners experiences with lower cost header systems. ( not cheap china systems) My car will be a driver not a show car so I would prefer to purchase a quality moderately priced header & H pipe which closely simulates our factory system.

Please do not take my post as negative. As GT350 owners we should promote the best of the best for our cars, but at times would like to see more practical suggestions too, to best fit all GT350 owners and their budgets. It could be I'm the only GT350 owner which thinks like this?  I dont know?

The insight and knowledge that James Cowels, Bob Gaines, Dan Case and many many others forum experts are priceless. Additionally all three of these listed experts have given me outstanding advise. It is one of the highlights of my week when I get to read these amazing post in the SAAC Forum.  Thank you for this forum!!!! I appreciate your time, Fred
SFM 6S2227

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 07:19:33 PM »
I cant answer your question, but just a quick read tells me you are paying for the quality, knowledge, tooling and manufacturing costs.

You are unlikely to find an “exact match to the original” at a “reasonable” price.

How much is time worth? I tried four GT350 H- pipes at $90 a part, shipping them back and forth, installing and uninstalling them, (each time wasting four days) before I bought a Fuller pipe. That install took ten minutes...

Its good to have choices and I appreciate the fact someone has stepped up to make things correctly. I have bought plenty of off shore crappy parts. Probably more than most people. I have made some parts from time to time as well. You cant do it inexpensively. Almost certainly Mr Fuller has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on his products. Dont worry we wont tell Mrs. Fuller 😉

How many times have we read, “why doesn’t someone make these correctly?”

How many people actually accepted that challenge?

Just my observations. I am willing to pay a premium for that effort and the quality.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:34:13 PM by Coralsnake »

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »
+1

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
Fellow members- I know Jim Cowels headers & Scott Fuller exhaust are absolutely incredible & amazing. But not all Shelby owners can afford  4 thousand (include Jim's headers) dollars for a complete exhaust system. Are there other more affordable headers and h pipes worthy of our cars? Are there more affordable header units which are an exact match of the original? I'm curious to read about others Shelby owners experiences with lower cost header systems. ( not cheap china systems) My car will be a driver not a show car so I would prefer to purchase a quality moderately priced header & H pipe which closely simulates our factory system.

Meant as a reflective thought - I'm sure there are plenty of people who wish Shelby's were "affordable" also.

Don't believe there are cheaper headers that are an exact match - the reason Jim and now Scott made the efforts. Nor can I think of a set of "affordable" set that is not made in China or outside of the US
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
Pretty sure there might be reasonably priced, good fitting tri y's out there.  I bought some in the late 80's from Mustangs of Fort Lauderdale that fit perfect, were very nice quality and are still in great shape today.  I'm quite sure they were made in the US.  Not sure what the brand was, or if they still exist - but I would be surprised if something similar was not out there now. 

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:17 PM »
Having worked with Scott on the tri ys and the comp headers for over 2 years now I will tell you nothing about the details to make them accurate is reasonable. Their just aren’t supply’s and skilled craftsmen falling out of trees anymore and to go the extra mile isn’t easy or necessarily affordable. Comp headers I’m probably going to have 20k to do 10 sets and I may never sell them all. Do the math

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 10:25:23 PM »
Members- I don't want the spirit of my original email to be misunderstood.

I greatly value all the Shelby part providers - Like Jim & Scott and many others. By creating impeccable parts it only elevates the top examples of our cars. All im saying,  some Shelby owners need other options.

J-speegle- I've been reading your amazing post for about 1.5 years now. I truly hope one day I meet you at a SAAC event. I appreciate your insight and greatly value you.

This forum should be for all shelby owners - some owners like me, a DIY guy, (with an affordable GT350 which i will restore 100% by myself) want to do good by our cars without spending 4K on an exhaust. That statement is not a knock on scott fuller or Jim on what they have done for shelby owners! The hobby needs the Jim's & fuller's and those vendors like them - the hobby also needs people like me. There should be room in this hobby for all of us with varying budgets. What bonds us together is the love of these cars.

I'm not perfect with words and it seems like my original statement\question could been written better.... so let me try to ask again. Has any other 1966 GT350 or mustang owner purchased an affordable tri y and H pipe exhaust system which closely simulates the factory set up? if yes, tell us about your experience and what system was purchased.

thank you all- I appreciate this forum!  Fred

BTW i know the word affordable is subjective

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:21:06 PM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227