Author Topic: 2021 MCACN Shelly Hertz Display  (Read 13830 times)

JWH

• View Profile
Re: 2021 MCACN Shelly Hertz Display
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2021, 05:51:26 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures, the cars look fantastic and the display case has a ton of cool stuff.

Steve, I am sure this was a lot of time and organization on your part but congratulations, from the pictures your hard work really paid off with a fantastic display showing a legendary slice of Shelby American history. Well done!
Jeff

Doug B

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2021, 10:02:21 PM »
Yes - thanks to Steve, deathsled, Jim W and Terry (TOBKOB)`for a great display of Shelbys. Also 003 and the 509mi 69 GT500. Wow.

But ... my favorite was the Lawman B9. Marcus did such a fantastic job with this car. Only thing missing was Goldberg himself.

My first time. If you've never been - best muscle car show in the world. Put it on your bucket list.
69 Shelby GT350 #0170 Fastback 4spd non-A/C
07 Shelby GT500 #4022

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »
Yes - thanks to Steve, deathsled, Jim W and Terry (TOBKOB)`for a great display of Shelbys. Also 003 and the 509mi 69 GT500. Wow.

But ... my favorite was the Lawman B9. Marcus did such a fantastic job with this car. Only thing missing was Goldberg himself.

My first time. If you've never been - best muscle car show in the world. Put it on your bucket list.
Yes the 509 mile car was incredible. I met the owner Phil and we talked about the car. He then let me take up close pics which I did of the engine bay and a few other things ESPECIALLY the under hood blackout. WOW were they ever sloppy doing that when new. Pretty cool. My only regret is that I didn't stop by later in the day to take MORE pics. Phil was more than gracious letting up close to the car. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2021, 09:33:04 AM »
I was amazed by that car. Its was a time capsule , The owner was so gracious and loved showing the car
A fantastic example of how they were built
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
Phils car was at our  1970 shelby 50th anniv fall classic show here in French Lick IN. last year.  We had the most 70 shelbys here in 1 place since 1970 about 25 total and many 1970 boss cars for 50 anniv of the boss mustangs also.  Phil called me years ago when he bought the car and i been helping him with the car and been to his place in NY twice in last few years so he could bring car out for its 50th anniv showing.  There is a great story about this cars past and shortly there will be a feature story with photos coming out in magazines. This rare  70 drag pack is optioned exactly the same as my vert except for it being a fastback and we should have taken photos last year at our show when they were both there but the cars were inside and outside and i wanted to get a group photo of all the 70 shelbys together but it didnt work out as some people left with there cars early so it didnt happen. Rumor has it that ford carlisle will have shelbys a feature car next year so phils car will be there .

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »
Phils car was at our  1970 shelby 50th anniv fall classic show here in French Lick IN. last year.  We had the most 70 shelbys here in 1 place since 1970 about 25 total and many 1970 boss cars for 50 anniv of the boss mustangs also.  Phil called me years ago when he bought the car and i been helping him with the car and been to his place in NY twice in last few years so he could bring car out for its 50th anniv showing.  There is a great story about this cars past and shortly there will be a feature story with photos coming out in magazines. This rare  70 drag pack is optioned exactly the same as my vert except for it being a fastback and we should have taken photos last year at our show when they were both there but the cars were inside and outside and i wanted to get a group photo of all the 70 shelbys together but it didnt work out as some people left with there cars early so it didnt happen. Rumor has it that ford carlisle will have shelbys a feature car next year so phils car will be there .
One of the first things Phil said was that when he bought the car Ed Meyer flew out to see it. Then I said to myself ,OK, what is special about this car. Mind you I came up from the back of the car and didn't know it was a DP car nor the mileage until Phil told me the whole story. Just an incredible car. 3 orange 69-70s at MCACN. The only ones there. Phils. One in the CJ display and one in the Hertz display. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2021, 12:59:46 PM »
  My take on it all:
  1) right off on the lobby escalator and there it is, the Alan Mann #16 GT 40.  I'm not even in the show yet.
  2) First steps into the show and the Lawman Mach I is there on display.
  3) Not much farther into the show and the 65 GT350 #0003 is on display.  Cool.
  4) Just down the aisle in a survivor GT500 with about 509 miles on it. (in really great shape!)
  5) not far from that is the Cobra Jet Display with the same colors as the survivor GT 500 (orange)
  6) There was a 67 GT 350 there, hubcap car, #2213.  Very nice.
  7) next to the 67 was a 66 GT 350, that too very nice, Has been hitting AACA shows.  The owner has had it 2 years now.
  8) Noticed Ed Meyer looking a 69/70 black Mustang fastback over with the owner.  It was a standard Mustang but had a 428 under the hood.  Rare.
  9) Ran into the American Speed Festival table- Featured make will be the cars of Shelby (check out "events" elsewhere.
  10) Saw the Hertz Display.  Had a nice long chat with Steve about his car, the forum, the AACA, stuff in general.  And when I walked up, Steve was entertaining a fellow from France (Christopher) who flew in from France to attend this show.  Looked over Steve's Hertz memorial stuff - all cool stuff.
  11) That Cougar also had come equipped with an ASC sunroof.  Really rare.
  12) The orange 69 GT 350 was also a Hertz rental.  The story: Bought by the caretaker's Dad in 1971 when Hertz sold the car off, BUT, his dad was not old enough to sign for the car so his grandfather was technically the first owner (besides Hertz).  So, the car has been through 3 generations in the same family.
  13) There was a white Boss 429 on the next aisle from the Hertz display.  It was "for sale".  Looked like a survivor car.  Sorry, no price listed.
  14) Had a long chit-chat with the owner of a yellow/black vinyl roofed 70 Superbee.  In 1970 my first job out of high school was doing dealer prep at Chrysler's Chicago dealer prep plant.  About 130 Chicago area Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth dealers had their cars prepper there (but NOT Mr.Norm's).  In the first week of August 1970, 10 exactly alike  70 Dodge Superbees, yellow, black vinyl roofed 440 six-pack/automatic cars showed up the same two days.  This car might have been one of them
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 01:06:15 PM by roddster »

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2022, 09:14:41 PM »
12) The orange 69 GT 350 was also a Hertz rental.  The story: Bought by the caretaker's Dad in 1971 when Hertz sold the car off, BUT, his dad was not old enough to sign for the car so his grandfather was technically the first owner (besides Hertz).  So, the car has been through 3 generations in the same family.

Seems like I missed the replies to this thread since the show. A minor correction to this story: I am the current caretaker of this car and I bought the car in July 1970 but my Dad had to sign for me since I was only 20 years old. The 3rd generation is a bit premature but it will happen some day... :D  I wish there was some way the forum members could identify each other as it would be nice to put a face with the name and/or username. I did meet Doug B, Deathsled,Steve, and I may have met others without knowing they were forum members. This was the 1st year I have been to MCACN but I will try to go again...Great show... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970