Author Topic: When Bug Splatter on the Windshield is a Good Thing.  (Read 1991 times)

rbarkley

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
When Bug Splatter on the Windshield is a Good Thing.
« on: September 16, 2020, 10:04:45 PM »
I was a bit disgruntled as I began to scrub some bugs of my windshield this morning.  Then suddenly, I remembered the smile on my new friends 74-year-old face.  As Charlie and I meandered the back-county roads of Texas, lighting up the tires on occasion, and the awesome sound of a dual quad carburetor kicking in at the command of a solid-lifter, 427 side-oiler.

Yes, in the short duration of 30 minutes, we discussed his 66 big-block (4-speed) Impala back home in Ohio.  Time running out this season for his back-road adventures, while in Texas it is just beginning.   His wife purchased the car for him back in 78 and it has been a love affair ever since.  We discussed his Chevy and my Ford, the convenience of power-steering, the inconvenience of overheating, 4 speed vs automatic.  I lamented the fact that I had C6 automatic as he extolled the virtues of a 4 speed, while all along wishing for a Powerglide due to his age.

Concerned that I had an ignition miss or carburetor issue, only to be reassured by Charlie that after that last burnout, the Shelby needed nothing more than another tank of gas.  It was a good morning, bugs and all.

Ron

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
Re: When Bug Splatter on the Windshield is a Good Thing.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:07:18 PM »
LOL 8) Nice story

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 11:12:06 PM »
Excellent use of Texas bugs!  Nice memories for your friend, too.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:57:04 AM »
Bugs are good.  It suggest where you were driving has a healthy ecosystem.  It is when the bugs are gone will be is be headed to trouble.  I remember growing up back in the 60's and road trips with my family.  The front of the Ford Fairlane wagon would be covered with bugs.  Those days are gone more ways than one.  Now it is only a slight smattering of bugs.

Take care

Cory

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 05:58:34 AM »

Lived thirty years in Central Texas, insects can come so thick they cover the roads and the sides of buildings. I've seen cricket infestations that covered the sides of buildings, grasshoppers that solidly lined six wire barbed wire fences for miles and enough Army worms that devour a 100 acre Bermuda grass field overnight. Add in Love bugs and June Bugs that completely splatter the front of your vehicle day or night, the ecosystem is doing well in Texas!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
Love it...meant to be driven !

I was a bit disgruntled as I began to scrub some bugs of my windshield this morning.  Then suddenly, I remembered the smile on my new friends 74-year-old face.  As Charlie and I meandered the back-county roads of Texas, lighting up the tires on occasion, and the awesome sound of a dual quad carburetor kicking in at the command of a solid-lifter, 427 side-oiler.

Yes, in the short duration of 30 minutes, we discussed his 66 big-block (4-speed) Impala back home in Ohio.  Time running out this season for his back-road adventures, while in Texas it is just beginning.   His wife purchased the car for him back in 78 and it has been a love affair ever since.  We discussed his Chevy and my Ford, the convenience of power-steering, the inconvenience of overheating, 4 speed vs automatic.  I lamented the fact that I had C6 automatic as he extolled the virtues of a 4 speed, while all along wishing for a Powerglide due to his age.

Concerned that I had an ignition miss or carburetor issue, only to be reassured by Charlie that after that last burnout, the Shelby needed nothing more than another tank of gas.  It was a good morning, bugs and all.

Ron
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »
Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield... ;D

Try dryer sheets to wash the bugs off...

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »
I started using Bugs-B-Gone made by Seafoam. It really helps loosen up bugs, can use it on paint, chrome, grille, radiator etc. Makes them spray off a lot easier & works fast.
I ordered thru Advance Auto Parts

fwiw, Mike

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 09:25:19 PM »
Dryer sheets do the best job I have seen. Just wet and wash, works great on painted surfaces, chrome, glass etc, and it also does a good job on RVs...

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 10:36:43 PM »

On a clean vehicle several coats of paint sealant works to prevent bug guts from adhering to the paint, chrome, etc. I use this product diluted in a squirt bottle and a microfiber cloth to remove bugs, no scrubbing needed and it removes the bug and their proteins that can etch your paint.

https://www.autogeek.net/3d-bug-remover-128.html?productid=3d-bug-remover-128&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&utm_campaign=1504990722&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=287205172222&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-v6RgNTx6wIVDR-tBh3qkARjEAQYAyABEgKx0vD_BwE