News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

COBRA Cylinder Head Casting?

Started by jenninm1, September 17, 2020, 04:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenninm1

I am in the process of helping my father clear out 50+ years of ford stuff.  Mostly from the 60's.  One item is particular is a set of small block ford cylinder heads that have COBRA cast into them.  Curious if anyone has seen this before?  If so, any information on why this was done, for what vehicle, etc.  See pic.

I have also sent the question to the SAAC administrator (before I found out I could be a guest here).....so you may see it posted again.

Coralsnake

It appears more like someone added that after the head was cast?

jenninm1

We thought that too.  However there are no "etching" or "grinding" marks and both sides are identical.  Makes us believe it is part of the casting.  FWIW, the engine was in a 1967 sunbeam tiger when he bought it in 1973 but it was not the cars original engine.

98SVT - was 06GT

The casting numbers will tell the story.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

jenninm1

I'll pull a valve cover and see what I can find.

gt350hr

Please post "the same" shot BUT the other end of the head. Head bolt to valve cover. The wooden core pattern would have to been altered ( name cut in) which is extremely odd. BTW the casting number ( if you don't already know) is on the underside of the head and the intake manifold would have to be pulled and a mirror used to see it.
   Thanks in advance,
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bill

You can see the grinding marks and lack of raw casting. Strictly someone's idea of personal art, maybe to prevent theft.

Casting numbers on the black and heads will tell the real tale of what you actually have on your hands.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0