Author Topic: Which Daytona Coupe is this ??? Daytona letter on the front fender ...  (Read 4403 times)

Szabo

• View Profile
Hello,

i found this Pic with the two Ladys ...

for sure it is a Daytona Coupe, but could you explain me which have the
"Daytona" Sign on the front fender.

I am not confirmed in the hole Daytona history
so i hope for your help

also i looked for a "Skeetch" i am once seen on the Internet where
all Daytonas shown in the different Livery on the races.

Maybe somebody knows what i mean ???

Thanks a lot for helping a newbie in the Game

Greets from Germany

Stephan / Szabo

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Which Daytona Coupe is this ??? Daytona letter on the front fender ...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 08:50:01 PM »
I think it's the first one. The leading edge of the roof is pretty flat which is how Pete Brock designed and built it. The other 5 bodies were done in Italy and they all had a higher leading edge on the roof. Pete Brock is amazing. He can look at any of the 6 coupes and tell you which one it is (and it's history) by the subtle differences in their hand made bodies.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 08:57:43 PM »
The Daytona coupes are all slightly unique from each other, but they also change individually from development over the 1 or 2 years as well (depends on the car).

I've have had a discussion or two about this photo in particular. I believe it to be csx2601 taken after it returned from Sebring where it raced, March 27th, 1965.
SFM66H (Kieth) had a photo with the caption noting it was at LAX in June '65 with the Robbins Sisters.
The photo had to be taken several days before April 25th, when it raced at Spa in Belgium.
It stayed in Europe all summer until at least mid August when it raced at the Coppa Di Enna in Sicily.

I'm not sure, but maybe your referring to a color illustration or sketch that shows the cars in different liveries.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:07:16 PM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 10:46:06 PM »
Looks to me like the women are fresh off of Shelby's secret assembly line for Stepford Stewardesses.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 12:19:29 AM »
Stephan:

Love your photographic historical research. What I also enjoy is studying the photos for minor details that reveal what performance cars and people involved  with them were like 55 years ago.

For instance:

I wonder why they had stewardess models for the photo. Was it an airline promotion? And this was in the day when airline stewardesses wore designer uniforms and hats.

As for the Daytona Coupe, I notice the headlight appears to be a quartz halogen type, probably Cibie. The Cobra has sealed beams, since the quartz halogens were illegal in the US.

Note the tread pattern. It's very different than what you see on race cars today.

Finally, look at the wheel balance weights. Looks like a lot of weight was added. What's up with that?

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 02:39:23 AM »
Looks to me like the women are fresh off of Shelby's secret assembly line for Stepford Stewardesses.

;D

No Kidding.

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
Thanks for all your friendly answers ... GREAT

Seems like the Pic are made some difficult Questions ...

Only Thing it is for sure, the Pic was on LAX, Front Gate from Hangar 8 (Street Production), right after the front entrance...
Shelby rent LAX beginning in Januar 65,
and the car does not seems Viking Blue

First Race was the Daytona Continental on 28 Februar
second Race was Sebring 27 March
third Race was Monza on 25 April
all other races in 65 was in other countries ...

I think it's the first one. The leading edge of the roof is pretty flat which is how Pete Brock designed and built it. The other 5 bodies were done in Italy and they all had a higher leading edge on the roof. Pete Brock is amazing. He can look at any of the 6 coupes and tell you which one it is (and it's history) by the subtle differences in their hand made bodies.

Stephan:

Love your photographic historical research. What I also enjoy is studying the photos for minor details that reveal what performance cars and people involved  with them were like 55 years ago.

For instance:

I wonder why they had stewardess models for the photo. Was it an airline promotion? And this was in the day when airline stewardesses wore designer uniforms and hats.

As for the Daytona Coupe, I notice the headlight appears to be a quartz halogen type, probably Cibie. The Cobra has sealed beams, since the quartz halogens were illegal in the US.

Note the tread pattern. It's very different than what you see on race cars today.

Finally, look at the wheel balance weights. Looks like a lot of weight was added. What's up with that?

Thanks a lot for your expertise, i am not seeing anything from rounder or flat edges, no my world
i am really happy when i see the tarmac from LAX in a photo  ;D

The Daytona coupes are all slightly unique from each other, but they also change individually from development over the 1 or 2 years as well (depends on the car).

I've have had a discussion or two about this photo in particular. I believe it to be csx2601 taken after it returned from Sebring where it raced, March 27th, 1965.
SFM66H (Kieth) had a photo with the caption noting it was at LAX in June '65 with the Robbins Sisters.
The photo had to be taken several days before April 25th, when it raced at Spa in Belgium.
It stayed in Europe all summer until at least mid August when it raced at the Coppa Di Enna in Sicily.

I'm not sure, but maybe your referring to a color illustration or sketch that shows the cars in different liveries.

after several hours in the net, i found what i seek ...
Decals for Daytona modelcars ...
sometimes Men make wonderfull work and overview

i tried to get higher qualitiy of the Pics, but what i see that on Sebring every Daytona listed in the skeetch
is wearing the Daytona Sign on the Fender.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 05:38:39 PM »
You can't go by current decal sheets. These are the only die cast models that I can assure you are accurate. https://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=B&Category_Code=models_sub_pbdaytonaseries
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 07:31:03 PM »
All four (4) of the Daytona Cobra's that raced at Sebring on March 27, 1965 did have the "DAYTONA" script on the sides.
         (CSX2601 is the only car that had the script at the previous race, in Daytona February 28, 1965)

Going back to the original posted photo at LAX, we have to look closer at that cars' details to distinguish it from the others.
It's not always easy, as some details change from race to race.

The car in the LAX photo has a wide, yet flat air scoop on the fender of the flip open hood.
That air scoop type, specifically at Sebring, is only found on 2601 and 2602. (2699 and 2300 have taller scoops with less width at Sebring)
The difference to my eyes, is that the air scoop on 2601 sits on top of the fender, while the air scoop on 2602 sits slight off to the fender side.
Yes, it's that subtle...crazy huh!

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
i tryed to find some similar Pics of the Sebring 12h Race

Nr. 14 was CSX2601
Nr. 16 was CSX2602

Unfortunately i found no similar Pics from both car at the same angle or the angle of the LAX Pic
only this from Nr. 16 in the Pit
the scoop looks very similar to the LAX, or what do you mean ???

Better News for the Robbin Twins  ;D

Thruw a incredible coincidence a Pic from the Robbin Twins in
the USRRC Race Programm from May 1 & 2 on Riverside Raceway
and for me it is a Pic from the same Date, same Hairdress, same Uniform
both 21 Years old at the moment and working for American Airline

the Cobra stands now at a different point, you can see the blast wall in the backround
no other cars seen

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 06:58:20 PM »
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 02:37:40 AM »
Only the Number ?

Can you explain why you think it was 2299 in the LAX Pic ?

Greets Stephan

joephil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »
CSX2602
Sebring 1965
   Spencer / Adams / Hill   Shelby-American, Inc. (USA)      Shelby   Cobra Daytona Coupe      Ford   GT5.0   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 07:24:01 AM by joephil »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 10:55:15 AM »
I can understand the discussion between either 2601 or 2602 for the LAX photo (in the first post) the hood scoops on the fender are nearly identical.
(As noted above 2699 and 2300 have taller scoops with less width at Sebring '65. They don't match up)

joephil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »
CSX2601 Sebring 1965
   Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe #CSX2601 - Ford V8/90° 2v OHV 4727 cc N/A   GT5.0
Shelby-American, Inc. (USA)   
Driven by: Bob Johnson (USA)/Tom Payne (USA)   Result: 7th (11 laps behind the winner)