Author Topic: 1968 Shelby steering box parts needed  (Read 1138 times)

7777kx

• View Profile
1968 Shelby steering box parts needed
« on: September 20, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »
I have a 68GT500KR in my shop and its steering box, the main the internal parts, are in terrible shape...badly worn and just not usable.
Would anybody have some NOS parts or mint pieces i can purchase, so i can get this box working properly again?
Any help or leads would be much appreciated.
Please email me ....      faulknerstevens@btinternet.com
Many thanks
Alan

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Shelby steering box parts needed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »
I have a 68GT500KR in my shop and its steering box, the main the internal parts, are in terrible shape...badly worn and just not usable.
Would anybody have some NOS parts or mint pieces i can purchase, so i can get this box working properly again?
Any help or leads would be much appreciated.
Please email me ....      faulknerstevens@btinternet.com
Many thanks
Alan
Alan, I have a number of used boxes on the shelf extra that are unopened so I don't know the condition of the components inside. I typically send my boxes to Jim C. and they come back looking like NOS units. If any of the components are bad when I send them he seems to find the parts needed. I remember a couple of descriptions like " spent some time at the bottom of a lake"  ::) on more then one occasion so he has had to replace various parts.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 07:01:34 PM »
I second Bob's recommendation, as if he needs me to second his recommendation.  ::)

I have a '68 GT500. The steering was horrible. Jim C, of Shelby Parts & Restorations, rebuilt my steering box, hydraulic ram, and steering valve. Everything came back looking great, with assembly line finishes, and the car had a like new steering feel. My understanding is that he can restore the steering box internals if they are severely worn.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

7777kx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 02:51:00 PM »
Hello Guys,
        Many thanks for the advice on the KR box, i will contact him and see what he can do.
Much appreciated. Alan