News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT Roadster GT/108 PR Tour 65: Newport Beach Concours d Elegance- Pic found

Started by Szabo, September 21, 2020, 06:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szabo

Hello,

i decided to start another Thread of one of my favourite Shelby Vehicels and a magic Point in Shelby Timeline...

Somedays i found this one magic coloured Pic from GT/108

and it was just blow me away... where was it, when was it, why there are no other Pics found

this was nearly 1 Year ago from now and i was very new in this hole Pic Research Thing...
but for me it was just "WOW"

Time goes on and luckywise i found new pics and sources and learned a lot from Richstang
and reading in books.

very similar to the first, but other Persons

last of the first batch was for me the Point for more questions and less answers i hoped too find...

Fantastic in Colour, and the same spot and date from the first one,
but we see more Cars, more Details.

and because of that "Hi-Performance Motors" Sign on the Windscreen i was a little bit confused

i remember a Pic from the HF Database, there title was USRRC Riverside Raceway, May 1&2 1965

we see clearly a lot of Cars on the Start/Finish Line from Riverside,
but not all has Racenumbers, and so i am wondering because why stands all this Cars on
the raceway, there must be a "Shelby Promo Tour" or something like this.
Cars i see:

from left to right
GT350 R - Vin unknown (maybe 5R002)
GT Roadster - GT/108
GT350 (only the rear bumper)
Race Cobra Nr. x98 - CSX 2431 (experimental Cobra)
white Cobra - Vin unkown

Please note this open ATLAS Caravan in the backround, important for other Pics later seen

Edith 23.09.2020
right Pic for x98 Race Cobra CSX2431 on the USRRC Event

other Pics shown a camera Team, but not one of the cars shown befor, but it drives me crazy
and so i hit the internet ... some little news come with the Petersen Archiv Pics

on this award ceremony we see a white Cobra and a GT350 befor the ATLAS Caravan

i hoped to see the other Shelby Cars but on different other Pics around the Start/Finish Line but nothing more to see

but from other Pics we know that some GT350 Street was on the Event

Enough for today, hope you have fun and share some thoughts

in the Next few days we will have a closer look at USRRC Laguna Seca Race with some (hopefully new to you) Pics...

Greets from Germany

Stephan

Coralsnake

It looks like the kid standing by the left wheel in the first photograph has old school braces

Szabo

Richstang

Stephan,
In case you don't know, some of your photos are not from the same date in January at the introduction or April on the GT/108 demonstration tour.
(I agree they are from Riverside.)
The color photo of the Cobra csx2431 (with no white stripes on the nose) appears to be from the LA Times GP event dated October 11th, 1964.
Those "P" watermarked Petersen photos are particularly tough to pinpoint without any notes or captions added from their website.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Szabo

Hello Rich,

thanks for your critic ... you are right, the coloured Pic from the Race Cobra ist wrong, i will choose the right one for
the Race

i was confused about "98" CSX3002 and "x98" CSX2431, both was on the Race but i cant see the x on the Pic

the introduction and demonstration of the GT Roadster GT/108 was both at the same time
on the USRRC Race May 1&2 1965

(on January 27.01.1965 was the Introduction of the GT350 and only the normal  GT ("Coupe?"))

the Petersen Pics are not so difficult, they put some codes under the Pics, but it is sometime a little
bit difficult to find the right spelling that you get some result (GT350 or G.T. 350 or USRRC or United States Road Racing Championship)
(the Pics are shown are named United States ... )

For all i will post some Pics i forgot yesterday about USRRC Riverside Race May 1&2 1965

That is described at "Turn 6" on Riverside, anbody can this confirm ?

the sceond shows the white Street Cobra on the racetrack with Carroll befor ...
(i am not sure thats on riverside, maybe somebody knows it better ... )

honker

Szabo, great threads, and in depth ! thanks for posting.

Sponsor decal placement on the #98 & #X98 is different, also the X98 car has the BRDC (British Racing Drivers Club) decal on the

door. Can't see if the #98 car has it. Also the #98 has a filler cap on the right front fender, or is that just something resting on the

car ? These things might have been mentioned before ?

Mike

98SVT - was 06GT

I was at the May race. It was the first time I saw a GT350. It was parked next to the snack bar in the esses.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Szabo

Thanks for all the answers and friendly words,
i try my best for me and for us all to collect
Pics and Facts

i go on with next Race of the USRRC in 1965

USSRC Laguna Seca 7-8-9 May 1965

because of some very good HQ Pics from GettyImage we have a very good view
from the Promo Drive from Ken Miles,

Note this massiv Cracks in the Windshield, when you looks closley on the Pics from
USRRC Riverside befor, GT/108 already have that on this Timecode

the follow pics are a poor of Quality, but they are in colour and in motion, i love it !!!
check this Video on Youtube for a really nice Promo Drive from GT/108, white Cobra and GT350
https://youtu.be/EnHwW3PuXB4
Timecode 0.34 Minute

in this Pic we saw a street GT350 driving behind the accident of a Chapperal Race Car

on a Negativ Film i found this one from the Pitlane,
on the Heck is something like a Sticker,
i can only suggest but on biggest zoom i can something read like USRRC ...
(only my Thoughts, nothing i can proof)

the most funny Pics from Laguna Seca is seeing the GT/108 as a
delievering Car for some new Team Jackets  ;D
... on the box stands "Personal Property of A.H. Dowo, do not open"

This was it for today, i seeking for the next Pics, mainly from
1965 05 16 3rd Annual South Course Concours d Elegance Newport Beach
when anybody have something to help please share it ...

Hope you enjoy,

Greets Stephan

Coralsnake

Richstang

I'm late to this party so I'll have to go backwards in sharing photos from the start of GT/108's history. 
Stephan, this is your post so if you only want to focus on the Tour let me know (PM is fine) and I'll remove these other photos.
I'm sure there are other events it was displayed at during 1965. The following is what I have gathered with help so far.

-February 7, 1965; assembly at the Slough factory on
-March 3, 1965; testing at Silverstone
-March 1965; after Silverstone testing it was shipped overseas to Venice, California along. Here it is pictured on the side of the Carter Ave building (roughly estimate about a week later).
-April 30, 1965; Riverside 'Promo Tour' starts at the USRRC weekend races
-May 3, 1965; 3rd Annual, 'South Course Concours D' Elegance in Newport Beach' (This is new info for me. Thanks Stephan!)
-May 9, 1965 Laguna Seca 'Promo Tour' at the USRRC weekend races
-June 6, 7, 8 1965; Shelby American Open House weekend. Trial presentation to families on Sunday,Ford Executives and the famous HF ride with CS ion Monday, and finally on Tuesday it was Press day
-July 27, 1965; road test at Riverside by R&T magazine
-August 7, 1965; Candlestick Park; 'Promo Tour' Pace car for the SCCA National (Another new detail for me from the recent offered photo on eBay.)
-October 1, 1965; Watkins Glen 'Promo Tour; at the US Grand Prix
-1966; Northwester Ford: Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Display

More photos to follow

FAV in Slough

Silverstone Testing

Szabo

Hello Rich,

thanks a lot for reply and a good friend is never to late for the party.

Perfect Timeline and every Info or Pic is welcome ...

i try to make this thread for 1965 but have also find some Pics from outside this year,
maybe i will post this later and we can find the right timecode for this ones.

For today i will go on in Timeline 1965

after the both USRRC Race Events GT/108 had a public appearance
on the 3rd Annual, South Course Concours D' Elegance in Newport Beach dated 1965 May 16
(the Infos comes from the MECUM Sales brochure)

i tryed to get some good Information, but on Wikipedia stand that this Concours started first in 1983,
all others search get no result

i personal dont think the Info is wrong but i dont find a breadcrumb

so i go on in Timeline and come to my favourite Point and Place

LAX, Open House Event & Ride with HFII, June 6 to 8 1965

the first pic is not from the Open House Event but surley from the Race Hangar on LAX,
noted the big cracks in the Windshield, and Ken Miles not in Race Overall

the Cracks in the windshield is a Detail i can locate clearly happend after comeing to
Princeton Drive, Venice in March and the first USRRC Race in April

Here a pic from March in Venice in HQ where the windshield is good

the follow Pics are all from the 3 Day Open House Event, the Windshield is repaired and fine

Public Show Race from the End of the Blast wall to begin of Hangar 9 (Show Aera)

Press Day Rides with Press People

famous Ride with HF II and Board of Directors

the last Pic is from the "Shelby Goes Racing Video" where it is clearly standing in Race Hangar on LAX
but i dont know when the film was made, so i could be befor or after the other Timecodes...

Enough for Today, next Point in Time would be
27 July 1965 and the Test on Riverside

Any comments are welcome, it is not an easy work but i make it for all of us...

Greets

Stephan

Richstang

The "crack' in the windshield might just be a reflection. I don't notice that streak (?) in any outdoor photos.

OH, never mind!
It is clearly visible in the Getty Image outdoor photo. ( I had to get that off the Getty Images sight and Zoom in on it.

Ken Miles wore a dark suit at the Open House June 7th Ford executive day, but...
The lighter color suit might be from the June 6th Family day trial run or the June 8th Press day. That photo of him sitting in GT/108 inside the hanger could be from any of those three days. The white color shirt and dark tie looks the same. Same goes for the photo standing next to the Chevron gas pump.

Richstang

Two more photo from Venice, CA ...along side of the Carter Ave building

Szabo

Quote from: Richstang on September 26, 2020, 05:37:47 PM
The "crack' in the windshield might just be a reflection. I don't notice that streak (?) in any outdoor photos.

OH, never mind!
It is clearly visible in the Getty Image outdoor photo. ( I had to get that off the Getty Images sight and Zoom in on it.

Ken Miles wore a dark suit at the Open House June 7th Ford executive day, but...
The lighter color suit might be from the June 6th Family day trial run or the June 8th Press day. That photo of him sitting in GT/108 inside the hanger could be from any of those three days. The white color shirt and dark tie looks the same. Same goes for the photo standing next to the Chevron gas pump.

i checked all my "Open House" Pics from all 3 Days and the GT Roadster appers on every day, but without a Crack on the Windshield.

so i suggest the Pic inside Hangar 9 was made befor the Open House Date, maybe it is a modern myth that Ken Miles always only
has a race suit on or was half naked standing in the pit  :)

Greets

Side-Oilers

Stephan or Rich,
Can you please circle, or draw an arrow to, the windshield crack?  It still looks like glare or distortion to me.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model