Author Topic: Hard hot starting  (Read 7235 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Hard hot starting
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »
Is this the same car you replaced the resistor wire on?  I would check the coil voltage when cranking hot vs cold, and running hot vs cold.  Did you use good quality points and condensor?   Lots of Chinese junk out there.  I try to stay with Motorcraft or Echlin.  A faulty condensor can act up when hot.
Resistor wire...yes.

Echlin points and condenser.

Was doing same thing with Petronix with 12v non-resistor wire.

Checking the coil voltage cranking...yes would confirm the issue, but no, not yet. Waiting on my 00's.
If you put 12v to a yellow top coil for any extended length of time you may have damaged it . It will get hot and damage the internals. I have seen them explode. Try another yellow top or petronix coil.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »
Is this the same car you replaced the resistor wire on?  I would check the coil voltage when cranking hot vs cold, and running hot vs cold.  Did you use good quality points and condensor?   Lots of Chinese junk out there.  I try to stay with Motorcraft or Echlin.  A faulty condensor can act up when hot.
Resistor wire...yes.

Checking the coil voltage cranking...yes would confirm the issue, but no, not yet. Waiting on my 00's.
If you put 12v to a yellow top coil for any extended length of time you may have damaged it . It will get hot and damage the internals. I have seen them explode. Try another yellow top or petronix coil.

I'm running the resistor wire to it which reduces the voltage. That was the point on installing a new resistor wire.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2020, 06:07:42 PM »
Resistor wire...yes.

I'm running the resistor wire to it which reduces the voltage. That was the point on installing a new resistor wire.
I misunderstood reply #29 where you said "Was doing same thing with Petronix with 12v non-resistor wire.'" I thought you were running the Petronix module in the dist and a yellow top coil off of 12V. Thanks for clarifying .Check that off a possible culprit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2020, 06:56:03 PM »
Resistor wire...yes.

I misunderstood reply #29 where you said "Was doing same thing with Petronix with 12v non-resistor wire.'" I thought you were running the Petronix module in the dist and a yellow top coil off of 12V. Thanks for clarifying .Check that off a possible culprit.

No problem at all. It is confusing to say the least.

I said to myself, "the answer is going to be something stupid, i.e., something uncommon and simple to overlook".

The voltage drop to the coil, is likely the answer. If the simple fix is larger cables, then great. It would be great to have a modern ignition that drops the initial advance down to make it easier to start. I can definitely see that as an advantage on a warm engine.

I'm wondering still if I cooked the solenoid too? The tach dropped out of normal operation in all of this just to add to the frustration?

Always remember, "it's always in the last place you look?"  ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 07:10:00 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 08:56:37 PM »
 Can you get pure gas anywhere near you? I would try that.
https://www.pure-gas.org/
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2020, 09:46:24 AM »

Not in New York. Only 10% ethanol.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Hockeylife

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »

Not in New York. Only 10% ethanol.

Plenty of Stewart’s Shops in upstate NY sell non- ethanol gas, among others.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2020, 01:35:14 PM »
Maybe, but not here.

It doesn't matter. You HAVE to build and tune the car to run on pump gas WHATEVER that might be, otherwise I'd still be running around with SUNOCO 106 leaded!  ;)

That would be great. The car would be idling way down at probably 500 rpm's and running cool.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2020, 02:15:39 PM »
Another vote for larger cables. on my '69 428, never cranked hot. I had access to welding cables, so made up a full set of 1/0 cables, and a new quality solenoid, cranked fast every time.

I also had an electronic ignition, so that helped in the spark department.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2020, 06:03:07 PM »
I just had the starter wire and battery ground done in 2/0. It's a bit of overkill and PROBABLY 1/0 is plenty?

I got delayed on a full trial but so far I can tell you that I seem to have picked up some rpm starting AND the big cables aren't getting hot so stay tuned to this station!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 07:01:55 PM »
Check the coil cable?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2020, 09:09:11 PM »
Check the coil cable?

I replaced the wiring to the coil all the way to the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2020, 09:50:04 PM »
Good luck I hope that works for you nothing worse than having to guess wether your car is going to start every time you turn the key
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2020, 07:06:13 AM »
The modern gear reduction starter like from power master should draw a lot less amps to turn the engine over right?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2020, 02:06:47 PM »
The modern gear reduction starter like from power master should draw a lot less amps to turn the engine over right?
Correct.