Author Topic: S H E L B Y 2006 2007 GTH The return of Shelby American  (Read 14232 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: S H E L B Y 2006 2007 GTH The return of Shelby American
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »
Very cool pictures Tony! Been a while since I've seen those. Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful stable you have !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

06H275

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »
Gotta love the black and gold!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 02:13:04 PM »
Gotta love the black and gold!

Yes sir

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 10:10:55 PM »
Very nice and thanks for posting.  I have to assume that that this is the same process used when building the 2007/2008 Shelby GT’s.  Cheers,

Doug yes sir all 07 08 Shelbys GTs have been christened with a C.S.M.
Enjoy

Actually, the 07/08 SGTs along with the 08/09 KRs were "pre-title" conversions at SAI and sold through Ford dealerships as NEW Shelby cars just like the 60s.  The Hertz cars built the mold and set the table for the SGTs but technically were converted to Shelbys for Hertz for rental duty and not Ford for retail sales duty.

Here is a 40th anniversary shot with my dad's car on the left and mine on the right!

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 10:15:56 PM »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 11:44:32 PM »
Actually, the 07/08 SGTs along with the 08/09 KRs were "pre-title" conversions at SAI and sold through Ford dealerships as NEW Shelby cars just like the 60s.  The Hertz cars built the mold and set the table for the SGTs but technically were converted to Shelbys for Hertz for rental duty and not Ford for retail sales duty.[/quote]
IMHO - I would vote that true CS manufactured cars are pre title. Post title I be considered day two conversions. CS in the early days only manufactured GT350 & GT500 cars from 1965 to 1967. In 1968 Ford took over the trademarks and assembly of the cars. CS continued as a racing arm for Trans-Am and the Ford GTs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:53:25 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 08:29:12 AM »
Great pictures and great information keep it coming
Thanks

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
IMHO - I would vote that true CS manufactured cars are pre title. Post title I be considered day two conversions. CS in the early days only manufactured GT350 & GT500 cars from 1965 to 1967. In 1968 Ford took over the trademarks and assembly of the cars. CS continued as a racing arm for Trans-Am and the Ford GTs.

This question is for discussion purposes - not arguing purposes, as I'm curious about what others' take on this is:
Regarding pre/post title, how would you classify the 2006/07 Hertz cars?  Keep in mind these were cars that Hertz ordered and paid for from FORD as specifically equipped factory Mustang GTs.  They were drop shipped to SAI, where they were converted to the GTH, and the client was HERTZ.  I think an argument can be made that this is a "post title" conversion, but I think it's closer to something in between, if there was ever such a thing.  In the case of the SGT, the order sheet was nearly identical to the GTH, as was the process.  The only real significant difference was that FORD (manufacturer) placed the order and not HERTZ (customer).  If the line in the sand is pre vs post title conversions, is the SGT more of a "true Shelby" than the GTH?  I don't think so, but I'm curious what others might think.    I agree that when compared to the GT500, the cars built/converted at SAI have more of a nostalgic and "true Shelby" feel since the process was similar to how the original early Shelby Mustangs were built. I do not agree that in any way, shape or form that an SAI converted Shelby Mustang is any better of a car than a FORD built Shelby Mustang.  Collectors may place "value" on the nostalgic factor, though.  I certainly think it's pretty cool how they did these cars like they did in the 60s, and in the case of the HERTZ cars - Hertz saved Shelby's ass both in 1966 and in 2006 and kept the Shelby Mustang dreams alive for many would be enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:49:13 AM by ITHERTZ »

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 11:57:24 AM »
Here is the invoice for my car from Ford to Hertz.

Here is the Shelby Invoice for the GTH conversion.

So basically, Hertz paid Ford $25,515 for my car and then paid Shelby another $8,046 to convert it to a Shelby.  These cars are all titled as Mustang GTs.  I don't know how the SGTs are titled, and if they have "Shelby" anywhere in the titles.   I know most of the 1966 GT350s were also titled merely as FORDs and no mention of Shelby as the MFR. 

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »

Troy great pictures thanks for sharing

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 08:34:56 AM »
Here is the invoice for my car from Ford to Hertz.

Here is the Shelby Invoice for the GTH conversion.

So basically, Hertz paid Ford $25,515 for my car and then paid Shelby another $8,046 to convert it to a Shelby.  These cars are all titled as Mustang GTs.  I don't know how the SGTs are titled, and if they have "Shelby" anywhere in the titles.   I know most of the 1966 GT350s were also titled merely as FORDs and no mention of Shelby as the MFR.

Great documentation thanks for sharing

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

06H275

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »

This question is for discussion purposes - not arguing purposes, as I'm curious about what others' take on this is:
Regarding pre/post title, how would you classify the 2006/07 Hertz cars?  Keep in mind these were cars that Hertz ordered and paid for from FORD as specifically equipped factory Mustang GTs.  They were drop shipped to SAI, where they were converted to the GTH, and the client was HERTZ.  I think an argument can be made that this is a "post title" conversion, but I think it's closer to something in between, if there was ever such a thing.  In the case of the SGT, the order sheet was nearly identical to the GTH, as was the process.  The only real significant difference was that FORD (manufacturer) placed the order and not HERTZ (customer).  If the line in the sand is pre vs post title conversions, is the SGT more of a "true Shelby" than the GTH?  I don't think so, but I'm curious what others might think.    I agree that when compared to the GT500, the cars built/converted at SAI have more of a nostalgic and "true Shelby" feel since the process was similar to how the original early Shelby Mustangs were built. I do not agree that in any way, shape or form that an SAI converted Shelby Mustang is any better of a car than a FORD built Shelby Mustang.  Collectors may place "value" on the nostalgic factor, though.  I certainly think it's pretty cool how they did these cars like they did in the 60s, and in the case of the HERTZ cars - Hertz saved Shelby's ass both in 1966 and in 2006 and kept the Shelby Mustang dreams alive for many would be enthusiasts.

Hey Troy, I think this discussion has been going on for years and will probably never end so here's what I think....A Shelby is A Shelby! Pre or Post!
But a Hertz Shelby, well...You know... ;)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »

[/quote]

Troy + 1

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »
Hertz documents of 2006 2007 GTHs

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy