News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

need help rear housing question

Started by olaf427, September 23, 2020, 10:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olaf427

hello to all! I bought my car 1453 (built in March) with what appears to be an original 65 9" rear housing. I was told it should have the normal 66 housing with a fill nut plug in the rear. I bought what I was told was an original 66 K code housing. My question is the new rear housing looks like a 66 but doesnt have a tapered tube like the 65.  I dont want to make a mistake. Advice would be appreciated. Olaf

Bob Gaines

Quote from: olaf427 on September 23, 2020, 10:27:49 PM
hello to all! I bought my car 1453 (built in March) with what appears to be an original 65 9" rear housing. I was told it should have the normal 66 housing with a fill nut plug in the rear. I bought what I was told was an original 66 K code housing. My question is the new rear housing looks like a 66 but doesnt have a tapered tube like the 65.  I dont want to make a mistake. Advice would be appreciated. Olaf
Olaf,unfortunately it sounds like you were told wrong. It should have the taper. I posted a dusty one I had extra on the shelf. PM me if needed and you are in the US. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rraceme

Bob, that is a good looking rear end! They are very hard to find-Fred
SFM 6S2227

gt350hr

Olaf ,
     Your car "should" have the housing like the one Bob posted.  There were some earlier cars (476 and 477 for sure) that had the round back , '65 housing and over ride bars. I haven't started a poll to see how many others in that range got the early housing. "I" have never seen an original under ride bar car with a "round back" '65 housing . The good thing is virtually equal value in the two housings. (Condition dependent of course)
  Randy

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

JohnHouston

Quote from: rraceme on September 24, 2020, 11:53:57 AM

Should you really be talking about Bob's rear end?  It was complimentary, I guess. . .

olaf427

gt350hr

Top one looks like a '67-70 housing. Bigger U bolts and looks longer overall.

rraceme

Quote from: JohnHouston on September 24, 2020, 12:56:48 PM
Quote from: rraceme on September 24, 2020, 11:53:57 AM

Should you really be talking about Bob's rear end?  It was complimentary, I guess. . .
Funny..... I should have worded that better, sorry Bob. Seriously, I go to ford swap meets all the time. In the last 20 years - I've only seen 2 for sale. 65 66 Bottle neck 9 inches housing are very hard to find.  Thanks, Fred
SFM 6S2227

olaf427

I know the upper looks longer but they are exactly the same ( a little larger than 50 inches). I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a larger tube rear being in a 66 K or Shelby. The reason I ask is a friend that is pretty versed on K codes said he saw an old post on the old K code forum where there was a discussion regarding others having a large tube 9 inch rear housing. I'm just curious , It would seem to me the issue with using a larger tube rear (like the 67-70 Mustangs)  would be the alignment of the Ubolts in the shock plate. Any thoughts? Many thanks for your responses. Olaf

Bob Gaines

Quote from: olaf427 on September 24, 2020, 10:39:57 PM
I know the upper looks longer but they are exactly the same ( a little larger than 50 inches). I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a larger tube rear being in a 66 K or Shelby. The reason I ask is a friend that is pretty versed on K codes said he saw an old post on the old K code forum where there was a discussion regarding others having a large tube 9 inch rear housing. I'm just curious , It would seem to me the issue with using a larger tube rear (like the 67-70 Mustangs)  would be the alignment of the Ubolts in the shock plate. Any thoughts? Many thanks for your responses. Olaf
No larger straight tube housing were used originally on a 65/66 GT350 or K code Mustang. I do know that people make up 9 inch housing for 65/66 using other Ford applications housings as donors. Although some good tapered tube fakes get made most are of the straight tube variety. You can draw your own conclusion as to what you have.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

+1 Tapered tubes ONLY. The Ford assembly plant did not operate like your local garage. "Substitution" like that didn't happen because it couldn't. U bolts , spring plates , etc would have to be substituted. You also have to remember the drum to drum axle assemblies were built in MI and shipped to the assembly plants. They built to a "build sheet" so the parts could go to any assembly plant for "standard installation". The "line" couldn't handle "anomalies".
     Many "copies" including a guy in TN that builds them with ALL new parts are out there. The welds are usually the giveaway to a "non production" housing The speed of rotation , heat , and wire feed speed are difficult to duplicate correctly.
    Randy

olaf427

yeah that makes perfect sense. I believe the this may be a Bronco rear housing . Thank you for the help

gt350hr

I was thinking a narrowed '67 up because of the slight taper near the ends. Broncos typically have more offset of the third member than a Mustang. Currie has built "cloned" housings as well as Quick Time Performance. They will pass all but concours judging LOL.