News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Cooling problems

Started by Dan353, September 29, 2020, 06:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan353

The only deviation from stock on my car is a Edelbrock performer cam, Aluminium radiator,  K&N air filter. The engine was bored .040 over it has stock heads, pulleys and fan  its a close ratio 4speed also I'm running a Gear Vendor over drive and a 325 rear gear the cooling problem is at idle and low speeds.

The stock looking radiators  I have a ACP radiator I know Griffin has one that looks almost exactly like the ACP I'm not sure who else makes them.

I have received a lot of good information here and I really appreciate it.  now it's time tip put it to use.   Thank you everyone

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Dan353 on October 02, 2020, 05:42:53 PM
The only deviation from stock on my car is a Edelbrock performer cam, Aluminium radiator,  K&N air filter. The engine was bored .040 over it has stock heads, pulleys and fan  its a close ratio 4speed also I'm running a Gear Vendor over drive and a 325 rear gear the cooling problem is at idle and low speeds.

The stock looking radiators  I have a ACP radiator I know Griffin has one that looks almost exactly like the ACP I'm not sure who else makes them.

I have received a lot of good information here and I really appreciate it.  now it's time tip put it to use.   Thank you everyone
I didn't know there was one let alone at least 4 companies that make rads that look like OEM or close. But then again I have not looked for a rad in decades. I might replace my rad in my SCJ Mach1 with an AL one. Did you paint your ACP rad Dan? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Dan353

I used Eastwood's radiator paint on the cooling fins where they can be seen.  And used a a semigloss in the upper tank

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dan353 on October 03, 2020, 11:18:04 AM
I used Eastwood's radiator paint on the cooling fins where they can be seen.  And used a a semigloss in the upper tank
FYI the Eastwood radiator paint regardless of gloss black or semi gloss will dull down from fresh applied sheen once it goes through a few heat cycles.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigblock

Do you have a auto parts store temp sender in the intake manifold? They can/usually read high.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 03, 2020, 01:53:13 PM
FYI the Eastwood radiator paint regardless of gloss black or semi gloss will dull down from fresh applied sheen once it goes through a few heat cycles.
so what do you recommend Bob? I got a few cans of the Eastwood for my SCJ but it isn't a concours but a day 2 car. I'll be freshening up a 20 plus year old resto on my vert once I get all of my "original" parts ready to put on to replace service parts. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 06, 2020, 03:30:47 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 03, 2020, 01:53:13 PM
so what do you recommend Bob? I got a few cans of the Eastwood for my SCJ but it isn't a concours but a day 2 car. I'll be freshening up a 20 plus year old resto on my vert once I get all of my "original" parts ready to put on to replace service parts. Gary
If you use the gloss black you will have to live with the the extra gloss until it dulls down. The semigloss will look normal assemblyline right after application but will dull down further after a number of heat cycles. I suppose it depends on your expectations . For instance if it were going on a show car the gloss paint may not have time to dull down and you may lose points in judging. If you use the semigloss so that you do not have to worry about too glossy while judging then you will have to contend with it later on dulling down farther then semigloss after a number of heat cycles.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dan353

I just want to make sure I have the right fan on my car.   Does anyone know the correct fan part number for a 69 GT 350 with Air Conditioning?  I'm not sure but this might be part of my cooling issue.

Thanks Dan

5s386

My 69 GT350 was overheating, and loosing radiator water. Turned out to be an intake water leak (hidden) in the rear, by the cowl. New intake manifold fixed it. And the intake bolts I replaced, too.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dan353 on October 25, 2020, 10:35:52 AM
I just want to make sure I have the right fan on my car.   Does anyone know the correct fan part number for a 69 GT 350 with Air Conditioning?  I'm not sure but this might be part of my cooling issue.

Thanks Dan
In reply 22 you state that you have a 5 blade flex fan. Regardless of if it is the correct factory application fan or not, one 5 blade flex fan will not significantly effect cooling + or - over the other .  You probably don't want to read it again but the info what was in reply #11 and #14 are most likely the cause and the cure . 40 over is a lot on a block. Since this is a condition that has manifested itself since you owned the car the over heating because of overbore is very plausible. It might be time to try the auxiliary electric fan to see if that band aids the problem.

69mach351w

Quote from: Cobrask8 on September 30, 2020, 07:43:24 AM
Agreed with Bob on two counts

1 - Overbore. The engine cylinder walls are just now too thin, transfer much more heat, and the cooling system cannot disperse it with not big amount of air flow.

2 - Heat dissipation - If the cooling system is compromised - old/clogged radiator - it will also continue the upward spiral of heat. Do a quick A-B comparison, buy a cheap radiator from e-bay/RockAuto, and see if it makes a difference.

And, agreed on the gauge - Why not get a cheap mechanical gauge, just toss it in, and see the temps more accurately displayed?

Heat has to be dispersed somehow.
+1, you can even secure it under the hood for a quick installation, get up to operating temperature, pull of the road and quickly check temp under hood.