News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65 windshield repair

Started by Jbarela, October 01, 2020, 12:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbarela

30 years ago my cousin broke my clear windshield by accident, fast forward to today. I finally found a clear correct dated windshield! Two minor little rock chips but under one chip is a quarter inch crack but it is deeper than the chip.

Not sure if this glass is made any differently than todays glass windshields. This can be easily fixed on today's windshields. My concern, rare glass and a glass guy who says he can repair it just to get the business and ruin my glass. Does anyone have experience with this or advise?

Thanks!!

6s1640

Hi JBarela,

I had a small cats eye in an original clear windshield dated coded glass.  It was repaired with no issues and is nearly invisible.  Even if your repair leaves a visible imperfection, the repair should keep it from getting worse.

Best of luck

Cory

Jbarela

Hi Cory, thank you that makes me feel so much better to take it to get repaired!

Jimmy

6s1640

Hi Jimmy,

Is the windshield installed or out of the car?  If out, I wonder if better repaired first to reduce risk of flexing glass during installation and causing a crack to grow.  Make sure it is a nice warm day when installing the glass, keeps the glass flexible.

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jbarela on October 01, 2020, 12:15:07 AM
30 years ago my cousin broke my clear windshield by accident, fast forward to today. I finally found a clear correct dated windshield! Two minor little rock chips but under one chip is a quarter inch crack but it is deeper than the chip.

Not sure if this glass is made any differently than todays glass windshields. This can be easily fixed on today's windshields. My concern, rare glass and a glass guy who says he can repair it just to get the business and ruin my glass. Does anyone have experience with this or advise?

Thanks!!
Chip repairs are not that expensive and maybe worth the gamble to see if it will repair. A good glass shop that does the chip repairs often should be able to give a good evaluation on how likely a success will be.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rbwiii

Check with your insurance company. Sometimes they cover the cost for replacement/repair.

Jbarela

Thanks guys for the help, it's currently out of the car , and good point on that fact Bob, I can take it in and get an evaluation. Warm day..good to know!!