News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT 350 Intake Manifold Cleaning Tips ?

Started by DGSOH, October 02, 2020, 04:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGSOH

While I have the intake off I thought I'd give it a good cleaning. Any recommendations? Are any of those raw aluminum wheel cleaners useful and safe? There's a spot with a fuel stain I'd like to get rid of.

Thanks!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DGSOH on October 02, 2020, 04:22:58 PM
While I have the intake off I thought I'd give it a good cleaning. Any recommendations? Are any of those raw aluminum wheel cleaners useful and safe? There's a spot with a fuel stain I'd like to get rid of.

Thanks!
Has it been cleaned before ? Bead blasted etc.? Or is it unrestored with caked grease ,paint overspray etc.?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DGSOH

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 02, 2020, 04:52:43 PM

Thanks!
Has it been cleaned before ? Bead blasted etc.? Or is it unrestored with caked grease ,paint overspray etc.?
lol After I posted I thought to myself maybe I should have mentioned current condition.

It was bead blasted (I know, I know) a few years ago and is pretty clean right now with really only the fuel stain on the passenger side below the carb, probably a few finger prints here and there and looking a little dull. I understand the dull is sort of where it should really be maybe?

Thanks.

shelbydoug

Well there is doubt in my mind about dull simply because I've seen (and have) manifolds that have a gleam to them as if they were vapor blasted.

I know...I'm gonna' get flack from Gaines BUT you have to see one that has been vapor blasted. It's to another level!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 02, 2020, 06:00:30 PM
Well there is doubt in my mind about dull simply because I've seen (and have) manifolds that have a gleam to them as if they were vapor blasted...

Don't understand your statement - respectfully. Are you saying that seen original or NOS period intakes that had a shine to them other than the machined surfaces without some form of protective coating or oil ?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 02, 2020, 06:05:18 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on October 02, 2020, 06:00:30 PM
Well there is doubt in my mind about dull simply because I've seen (and have) manifolds that have a gleam to them as if they were vapor blasted...

Don't understand your statement - respectfully. Are you saying that seen original or NOS period intakes that had a shine to them other than the machined surfaces without some form of protective coating or oil ?

A gleam to the dullness.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Start mild, all-purpose cleaner (Fantastic or 409) and a soft-ish plastic Bristol brush rise with water.  No power tools.

Then maybe citric-based cleaners.

Heavy stuff, some have used oven-cleaner
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DGSOH on October 02, 2020, 05:23:04 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 02, 2020, 04:52:43 PM

Thanks!
lol After I posted I thought to myself maybe I should have mentioned current condition.

It was bead blasted (I know, I know) a few years ago and is pretty clean right now with really only the fuel stain on the passenger side below the carb, probably a few finger prints here and there and looking a little dull. I understand the dull is sort of where it should really be maybe?

Thanks.
Based on your description I would first go with the steps that JD gave in Reply #7 then final finish with some Eagle One aluminum Wheel cleaner . The first products will get rid of most grease ,dirt ,fuel residue so that the acid in the aluminum cleaner product can work better. That aluminum cleaner product unfortunately has changed over the years. Previously there was one product for cast wheels (what I used that would dull polished wheels because it was so strong) and a less strong product for polished wheels. Now it is one product for both which isn't as strong . Use with a stiff plastic bristled brush like the other products JD suggested. It is still better to use then not but doesn't give as good of results. I haven't found a substitute
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jbrooks

I ended up using brake cleaner and a wire brush, and it worked out great
67 GT350 #2260
"If you ain't first, you're last"

J_Speegle

Just consider when you make your choices that chemicals and types of metal (think brushes) can react with the base aluminum and often produce unwanted results. As many have found out you can't reverse some of these choices - in the search for reproducing the original look - so consider everything and test on another intake or a hidden (from view once installed) area first.

I'm hoping to test of bunch of cleaning method once I get my new shop built (ya I know) so I can compare the final look. Planning to cut and intake in at least eight sections in a way that all the pieces can be reassembled for comparison. That way they are all starting with the same condition in the beginning

DGSOH

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 03, 2020, 09:40:20 PM
Just consider when you make your choices that chemicals and types of metal (think brushes) can react with the base aluminum and often produce unwanted results. As many have found out you can't reverse some of these choices - in the search for reproducing the original look - so consider everything and test on another intake or a hidden (from view once installed) area first.

I'm hoping to test of bunch of cleaning method once I get my new shop built (ya I know) so I can compare the final look. Planning to cut and intake in at least eight sections in a way that all the pieces can be reassembled for comparison. That way they are all starting with the same condition in the beginning

Exactly the reason for my raising this question Jeff. I've ruined more pieces of aluminum (not car parts) than I care to remember looking for a quick easy clean and polish.

I'll go with the household cleaner and see where I land before moving to something else.

Thanks.

DGSOH

And while I'm at it - should I use the same torque spec as the iron manifold when reinstalling or something else?

Thanks.

Greg

If you do decide to glass bead a part, you can reduce the shine by using purple power and a scotch bright but be careful not to leave the purple power on it for more than an hour as it is a caustic agent.  Rinse clean with water and be sure to take the heat shield off and clean under it.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jbrooks on October 03, 2020, 09:26:38 PM
I ended up using brake cleaner and a wire brush, and it worked out great
Wire brush will clean but will give a non original look to the metal . The OP is after a original look along with cleaning. I would highly discourage using a wire brush because of that.