News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT 350 Intake Manifold Cleaning Tips ?

Started by DGSOH, October 02, 2020, 04:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

I had pretty good success with eagle wheel cleaner and a pressure washer. A scrub brush tends to polish it a bit.

EVERY manifold that I have seen that was machined by Offenhauser seemed to have a slight sheen to it, similar to what you might get from a nylon scrub brush.

It has NEVER been determined how Offe got that or even seen in any pictures at Offenhauser. It does resemble the process that Country Squire here is getting on cast aluminum parts.

I HAVE the "heavy duty" wheel cleaner here and the stuff is nasty. If you leave it on too long it WILL leave a white residue that doesn't want to leave easily.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Quote from: DGSOH on October 04, 2020, 08:21:10 AM
And while I'm at it - should I use the same torque spec as the iron manifold when reinstalling or something else?

Thanks.

The torque specification is general based on the elastic limits of the fastener with adequate support for such provided by the iron (in this case) castings.  Unfortunately, in this instance, the original engineering was based on cast iron, a much more rigid material, than the latter substitution of aluminum's capacity.  So the answer would be upon making such an observation it would be recommended to reduce the O.E.'s original value "some".  Generally the market place voices values such as a reduction of 10 - 20% when aluminum is under-head, but that is probably a value having more to do with differential in expansion properties with heat more so than an implication of the less capable supportive material in strength.

The S.B.F. intakes bolted to the O.E.M. 289 cylinder head is not well supported at the four corners, again, this was O.K. when the manifold was constructed of iron, but with the substitution of aluminum, many have witnessed failures; hence, drop the O.E. torque spec. value "some" unless you wish to experience the same.           ;)

Scott.

CSX 4133

For cleaning the intake you might give Gibbs oil a try. I use it for cleaning aluminum Torque thrust wheels, and preserving bare metal parts prior to painting. Excellent cleaning and doesn't darken or discolor.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

s2ms

And while I'm at it - should I use the same torque spec as the iron manifold when reinstalling or something else?

Thanks.

Think I saved this torque spec sheet from Forum 1.0...

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CSX 4133 on October 05, 2020, 11:24:58 AM

For cleaning the intake you might give Gibbs oil a try. I use it for cleaning aluminum Torque thrust wheels, and preserving bare metal parts prior to painting. Excellent cleaning and doesn't darken or discolor.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/
I am skeptical about Gibbs cleaning ability however it reads like it may be superior to what I am using now at preserving the aluminum from oxidizing after surface cleaning and or preparation . Interesting enough testimonial that I ordered some to experiment with . Amazon had the best price for two cans plus free shipping with prime.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: s2ms on October 05, 2020, 12:02:27 PM

Thanks.

Just snug the bolts down with a box wrench no longer then about 6 inches. Run it through a couple of heat cycles and tighten the bolts again and then just leave them alone.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 05, 2020, 12:09:48 PM
I am skeptical about Gibbs cleaning ability however it reads like it may be superior to what I am using now at preserving the aluminum from oxidizing after surface cleaning and or preparation . Interesting enough testimonial that I ordered some to experiment with . Amazon had the best price for two cans plus free shipping with prime.

Might want to be careful at using an oil for protection on a porous surface since it may help other liquids, spills or stains to travel further into the base metal using the oil to help penetrate more. Especially since there are plenty of opportunities (fuel leak for one) for exposure to liquids on an intake, valve covers or oil pan than say exterior of wheels. Let us know how the experiment goes 

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

DGSOH

Quote from: s2ms on October 05, 2020, 12:02:27 PM

Thanks.

Excellent! Thank you.