News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Can anyone identify this t pan?

Started by tomhawk, October 06, 2020, 05:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomhawk

It is an fe pan. Has 4 internal flappers or trap doors to control the oil. I have owned a couple Aviads in the past. Looks like an Aviad, because of the shape. Rounded sides not square. Welding looks very professional. Could it be road race Cobra, Nascar ? Thanks for any help. Tom

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tomhawk on October 06, 2020, 05:57:49 PM
It is an fe pan. Has 4 internal flappers or trap doors to control the oil. I have owned a couple Aviads in the past. Looks like an Aviad, because of the shape. Rounded sides not square. Welding looks very professional. Could it be road race Cobra, Nascar ? Thanks for any help. Tom
Probably not Cobra because their oil pans don't need a short section front sump because there is no cross member like on a Mustang/Shelby. I posted a 427 Cobra example but you can get the idea.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tomhawk

Thanks, maybe could have been used in a car running the Can-Am series. Used for RR but what type car?  A mystery.

gt350bp

How about 427 NASCAR for Riverside?

Don
gt350bp

CSX4781

Thats a Holman Moody pan for an FE in a half frame Fairlane/Torino/Cyclone. Made to fit the narrowed Galaxie front frame stub used in Grand National. It's actually shallower than a stock FE pan, for ground clearance. They were used from 1967 until they went to dry sump (in 1970 if I'm not mistaken).

Dave

tomhawk

Thanks for the info Dave. Always wanted to know what I have.

SFM5S000

I would have to agree that it would have been a NASCAR/Grand National type application. If one were to look at the second image of the sump, it shows the gate (trap door) feeding the right side of the pan indicating to "left hand" turning only and the dividing wall in the sump oriented to the right side as well. Just my opinion of this pans usage.

Cheers,
~Earl J

gt350hr

Quote from: CSX4781 on October 06, 2020, 10:49:00 PM
Thats a Holman Moody pan for an FE in a half frame Fairlane/Torino/Cyclone. Made to fit the narrowed Galaxie front frame stub used in Grand National. It's actually shallower than a stock FE pan, for ground clearance. They were used from 1967 until they went to dry sump (in 1970 if I'm not mistaken).

Dave

+1 H&M stock car application . The sump sections were deliberately pushed forward for steering linkage clearance. I have had several in years past. The sway bar is in the way of the forward part of the sump on all but a Galaxie snout.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.