Author Topic: Are you a Shelby gearhead?  (Read 2406 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a Shelby gearhead?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
They this statement wrong:

So many people associate sequential turn signal taillights with classic Mustangs that Ford began adding them to the car in 2010 and will use them on the new Mustang Mach-e electric crossover. But the truth is Ford didn’t build Mustangs in the 1960s with the feature. They debuted on the Thunderbird in 1965 and on the Mercury Cougar in 1967. It was Shelby that put them on Mustangs from 1967-1970, using T-bird and Cougar taillights. The California Specials of 1968, which also used Shelby’s body parts and ’65 T-bird taillights, did not have the sequential turn signals.

As most here know, the '67 Shelby's did use Cougar tail light components but not the Sequential feature.  That feature was on the '68 - '70 Shelby's with the T-bird units.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 11:02:30 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »
...and the sequencers were unique to 1968 Shelbys, not shared with other models

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 11:37:38 AM »
  The Hertz info is not quite right  re stripes and colors.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 12:01:45 PM »
It amazes me that, with everything that is now known about these cars, that some still can't manage to get it right.   ::)

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »
Also, the 68 Sequentials were NOT Cougar or T-Bird based, rather an aftermarket piece purchased from J.C. Whitney. Able to install just in the trunk, but also made the brake lights sequence, which was illegal in California, New York, and Florida. Cars sold new in those states had the units removed.

The 65-68 T-Bird/Cougar Sequentials were such an interwoven wiring system, it could not be integrated. The 69-70 Shelby's used the Modern solid state trunk sequential unit by adapting the 69-70 Cougar rear wiring harness into the Mustang.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:08:43 PM by Cobrask8 »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 01:07:25 PM »
Also, the 68 Sequentials were NOT Cougar or T-Bird based, rather an aftermarket piece purchased from J.C. Whitney. Able to install just in the trunk, but also made the brake lights sequence, which was illegal in California, New York, and Florida. Cars sold new in those states had the units removed.

The 65-68 T-Bird/Cougar Sequentials were such an interwoven wiring system, it could not be integrated. The 69-70 used the Modern solid state trunk flasher by adapting the 69-70 Cougar rear wiring harness into the Mustang.

Learned something new today.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »
a single Daytona Super Coupe (which never competed). - - It was not completed either. It sat unfinished for decades.

Shelby put Ken Miles in charge of creating a special lightweight Cobra powered by an experimental 500-hp all-aluminum 390 cubic inch big-block. - - This was a proof of concept idea for the 427 Cobra. Nassau was a race where people brought cars that offered creative rule interpretation. It became known as the Flip Top (and the Pelican while Royal Kreger owned it)

Shelby officially ended the production of Dragonsnakes when he stopped building 289 Cobras. - - Shelby did not produce the Dragon Snakes. They and the GT350 drag cars were farmed out to Les Ritchey and his Performance Associates in Covina CA for conversion. He was killed in his A/FX Mustang at Fontana in 1966 which may account for the lack of 427 drag cars.

Pete Brock-designed five-spoke alloy wheels made by Cragar. - - - Hadn't heard this one. Cragar offered the wheels with a plain steel rim and chrome trim ring. I thought they were already a Cragar product when CS selected them. Maybe Brock added the chrome rim.

Shelby’s involvement with the Mustangs that wore his name began to decline in 1968 when A.O. Smith in Michigan began assembling the cars at the request of Ford. - - - Shelby American's production of GT-350 & 500s ended mid way through 1967 when Ford assumed ownership of all the assets and trademarks. CS became a race team contractor at that time.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Tom Honegger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
Also, I believe the "Turd" was not the flip top Cobra. Wasn't the "Turd" the Cobra
that Miles and John Morton drove at Sebring that hit a tree? Or did the flip top evolve
out of the Sebring car?

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 07:08:50 PM »
Is the '70 Shelby front spoiler a Boss 302 front spoiler?
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 09:17:55 PM »
a single Daytona Super Coupe (which never competed). - - It was not completed either. It sat unfinished for decades.

Shelby put Ken Miles in charge of creating a special lightweight Cobra powered by an experimental 500-hp all-aluminum 390 cubic inch big-block. - - This was a proof of concept idea for the 427 Cobra. Nassau was a race where people brought cars that offered creative rule interpretation. It became known as the Flip Top (and the Pelican while Royal Kreger owned it)

Shelby officially ended the production of Dragonsnakes when he stopped building 289 Cobras. - - Shelby did not produce the Dragon Snakes. They and the GT350 drag cars were farmed out to Les Ritchey and his Performance Associates in Covina CA for conversion. He was killed in his A/FX Mustang at Fontana in 1966 which may account for the lack of 427 drag cars.

Pete Brock-designed five-spoke alloy wheels made by Cragar. - - - Hadn't heard this one. Cragar offered the wheels with a plain steel rim and chrome trim ring. I thought they were already a Cragar product when CS selected them. Maybe Brock added the chrome rim.

Shelby’s involvement with the Mustangs that wore his name began to decline in 1968 when A.O. Smith in Michigan began assembling the cars at the request of Ford. - - - Shelby American's production of GT-350 & 500s ended mid way through 1967 when Ford assumed ownership of all the assets and trademarks. CS became a race team contractor at that time.
Les Ritchey's SOHC screamer.  WOW!!!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »
It amazes me that, with everything that is now known about these cars, that some still can't manage to get it right.   ::)
+1  And when you read their articles, they type so fast to get their word out that they never proofread and I see wrong pronunciations and misspelled words constantly  ::)