Author Topic: Trans am brake parts  (Read 3599 times)

Blackcar

• View Profile
Trans am brake parts
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »
Were the larger than factory break calipers used I believe in trans Am competition calipers from a T bird and/or Lincoln and the spindles for these calipers that were used were installed with a tapered bushing to make the smaller factory pieces work does this sound close ?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:12:45 PM by preaction »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Trans am break parts
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:33:29 PM »
Were the larger than factory break calipers used I believe in trans Am competition calipers from a T bird and/or Lincoln and the spindles for these calipers that were used were installed with a tapered bushing to make the smaller factory pieces work does this sound close ?
Half way close. On the 69 TA cars the T bird or Lincoln calipers were used with thicker 70 "Mustang" drum brake spindles (not the ones from the T bird or Lincoln. The set up took a "larger" tie rod then used on the typical 65-69 suspension. I am not sure what spindle the 68 TA cars used back then.  Also took ether took a different rotor regardless of spindle. The contemporary conversions on the 65-68 to the big brakes typically use the 70 spindle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

carlite65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »

brake?? brake?? shades of VMF here......

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
It uses the "T-bird" rotor. Originally they were a full 12" in diameter. Now they are 11.75" od. They are 1.25 thick and vented which are the main advantages.

The caliper is the "big Ford" caliper. It has four large 2" pistons which gives better clamping and the pad is the largest of the Ford passenger car pads.

It was designed to stop an 8,000 pound car. So it definitely is an improvement on the "Mustang".
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:31:08 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »
Doug That's some good info there... Thank you :)  I knew there was some info you were keeping from all of us. Hopefully the trans am brakes don't(break!)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »
Doug That's some good info there... Thank you :)  I knew there was some info you were keeping from all of us. Hopefully the trans am brakes don't(break!)

I haven't broken one yet but they do brake.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
T/A brake recipe:

70 drum brake spindles
67 Mustang disc brake hubs
68 LTD rotors  (Raybestos #6008)
67 T Bird calipers
custom caliper bracket (Cobra Automotive, Street or Track)
ARP makes studs for these but I forget the number
70 Mustang outer tie rod ends

Blackcar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »
Thanks for the recipe and sorry for the spelling. :o

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trans am brake parts
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
The tricky thing with this set up is to make them fit with Shelby 10 spokes. The T/A cars ran with the "torque-thrust" wheels so they didn't have the same clearance issues that the 10 spokes do.

All the finagling on the set up is to get the 10 spokes to fit.

You can see the spacers between the rotor and the hub in my picture. That's to push the rotor and caliper back away from the wheel.

Even so, it requires using a current reproduction 10 spoke that has been machined on the inside of the wheel and an 1/8" wheel spacer to get it to just clear.

So if you want to go with 10 spokes, be forewarned. It isn't just a straight bolt on.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:43:30 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427street

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »
Just curious. What size master cylinder bore is used for those big T-Bird calipers.

Cheers
Greg

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Just curious. What size master cylinder bore is used for those big T-Bird calipers.

Cheers
Greg

Stock is fine but I have a 1" in there.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Blackcar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
I thought it was a truck master cylinder the T/A set up used something other than a stock.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »
I thought it was a truck master cylinder the T/A set up used something other than a stock.

Yes but only if you go to a manual set up. I used that set up for more then 10 years and it worked fine.

When you go back to using the power brake booster with it, it no longer functions well.

What the big bore cylinder does is reduce the amount of pedal travel needed to actuate the calipers. That makes it more difficult to lock up the brakes.

The 65 and 66 Shelby's tend to be that way in that seemingly you can stand on the brakes without them locking up?

You could go PROBABLY as large as 1-1/8 but something happens to the formula with power brakes.
ABOUT a 1" bore is all that you need and most likely all that you will be able to handle as well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:54:56 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!