News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

shifter handle

Started by johnzajc@gmail.com, July 16, 2020, 12:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnzajc@gmail.com

Hi---I have on 69 Shelby GT 500 wooden shifter handle---is black handle actually what car should have to be correct or perhaps either one ???? thank you

Coralsnake

The wooden Shelby handle is the only correct handle. It was part of the conversion process.

Coralsnake

Not sure, maybe we can get help, but I think most of the 1969s lacked the snake inlay

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 16, 2020, 02:18:36 PM
Not sure, maybe we can get hep but I think most of the 1969s lacked the snake inlay
I respectfully disagree with my friend . The ones I have seen and owned over the years have overwhelmingly had the snake inlay in the wooden handle. That includes the one a family member purchased in early 1969. The wooden handle without the inlay was a generic Shelby catalog part I have always thought. Not to say that a non inlay handle might have found it's way on to a 69/70 auto Shelby by mistake ,replacement or factory substitute . FYI I have a few extra metal snake inlays purchased many years ago in case someone has a handle where it fell off. They were just glued into the recess.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Thank you for the clarification. If I find anything else I will post it.

Coralsnake

Found the preproduction memo I was thinking of.  Mr Gaines is correct the no snake version was replaced with the snake version. Great memory !

corbins

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 16, 2020, 04:28:50 PM
Found the preproduction memo I was thinking of.  Mr Gaines is correct the no snake version was replaced with the snake version. Great memory !
Yeah.... not bad for an ol' guy huh ??  :)