News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Started by 6S1568, March 21, 2018, 07:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6S1568

My oil pressure sending unit seems to have developed a small crack in the housing, causing a drop of oil to leak out of it, down the extension and onto the floor.

I'm not sure if it is an original sending unit, the only identification mark I can see is a small circled KS on the cone near the wire connector post.

Is this an original unit?
Does anyone know where to get a correct replacement?

Thanks, Denny

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6S1568 on March 21, 2018, 07:21:54 PM
My oil pressure sending unit seems to have developed a small crack in the housing, causing a drop of oil to leak out of it, down the extension and onto the floor.

I'm not sure if it is an original sending unit, the only identification mark I can see is a small circled KS on the cone near the wire connector post.

Thanks, Denny
Yes, once they start to leak it is time to replace. I know a fabrication friend that went to the trouble of uncramping the cover and restoring the insides. He then re crimped the bell covering. It was so much trouble he said he never would do that again. The KS maker mark is one type that is found on a assemblyline car. So is the one with FOMOCO in the oval.  With out seeing it I would be hesitant to confirm for 100% sure .Your picture wasn't enough help. The bell shape sender has generic replacements available from many vendors. The 69/70 with a oil pressure gauge (not idiot light) also used the same bell shaped sender . The 65/66 style bell shaped sender had a 4 sided square base and the later 67-up versions had a six sided base. I keep both types of originals on the shelf just in case someone needs one . Some are NOS and others a nice used that have been replated to look new. The generic replacement is definitely the least expensive alternative. I just depends on how assemblyline correct that you are trying to make your car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

They can be pretty hard to find. I tried a few years ago and couldn't. If anyone has a spare working one date coded mid 65 pm me! Sounds like your looking too mate  :D
6S373
6S1276

kingchief

SFM 6S406

deathsled

I don't get why Ford doesn't continue to make these parts. Examole: If you own a Mercedes 300sl gullwing Mercedes will make you every single part you need right from the factory. Now that is impressive!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

J_Speegle

Quote from: deathsled on March 22, 2018, 10:33:27 AM
I don't get why Ford doesn't continue to make these parts. Examole: If you own a Mercedes 300sl gullwing Mercedes will make you every single part you need right from the factory. Now that is impressive!

But do the parts look exactly like they did originally?  Ford made service replacements for years but they often looked differently making them not what many owners would want currently. 

Don't know Gullwings so just asking :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

If Bob can't supply them I might. BTW there are two different pressure values on later ones too. 80 and 90.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SFM6S1348

Quote from: gt350hr on March 22, 2018, 02:07:30 PM
If Bob can't supply them I might. BTW there are two different pressure values on later ones too. 80 and 90.

Please advise...

Les 1348
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

deathsled

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 22, 2018, 01:46:28 PM
Quote from: deathsled on March 22, 2018, 10:33:27 AM

But do the parts look exactly like they did originally?  Ford made service replacements for years but they often looked differently making them not what many owners would want currently. 

Don't know Gullwings so just asking :)
I can't testify to that as fact that it is an exact of an original but I make a logical inference that it is knowing how neurotic the Germans are about such small details. I would imagine that gullwing owners would be rather vociferous about even slight deviations from original parts given the high high dollar values on such cars. In the final analysis I don't know would be my answer to your question.

Best regards,

Richard E.

J_Speegle

Quote from: deathsled on March 22, 2018, 04:21:18 PM
I can't testify to that as fact that it is an exact of an original but I make a logical inference that it is knowing how neurotic the Germans are about such small details. I would imagine that gullwing owners would be rather vociferous about even slight deviations from original parts given the high high dollar values on such cars. In the final analysis I don't know would be my answer to your question.

A number of other car marques do some (well at least what we in the Shelby community might feel so) odd things and think them normal or acceptable,  Have heard from a number of the concours types where the factories are even restoring the older cars and recertifying them even thought some are rebodies or made up of nothing but new parts and the clubs and judging events are reported to handle and vluew the cars as if they were the originals.

But that is just what has been communicated to me through others 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

Sounds like the "cobra world".  Between Nor Cal and So Cal "restorers" many have been "brought back" as originals LOL Crashes , fires, old age, they now look magnificent!
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Greg

Quote from: 6S1568 on March 21, 2018, 07:21:54 PM

Thanks, Denny

Denny, if it is original and it works, take it to an experienced person that can braze the crack.  I would say Tig but because of the oil, Tig probably would not work.  It wouldn't be that hard and low cost.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

deathsled

kram350

I restored more than a few of these and as Bob said "won't do it again". When they start to leak externally the internal diaphragm has failed and the interior of the bell is filling with oil and the outer crimp starts dripping as yours is. If it is still working I would clean it and epoxy it to stop the leak, using heat as in welding will melt the diaphragm and kill the unit for sure.  I took apart quite a few that were totally filled with oil, total diaphragm failure and used the internals which were in perfect condition. Besides opening the crimp, there are two, inner and outer, getting correct replacement diaphragm material and then re-crimping to get no leaks is difficult to say the least. The chances of total catastrophic failure is pretty slim knowing the construction.

6S1568

Thanks everyone for your insight into the sending units. I've attached a better photo of my unit so you can see the manufacturer's mark of "KS" within a circle.