News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

KR has been in storage for 3 years - no fuel to carb

Started by Flasheart, October 09, 2020, 06:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flasheart

Guys,

I have just taken my KR out of strorage where it has been laid up for nearly 3 years.  Fresh oil with ZDDP, new filter.  All the old gas siphoned out of the tank, new gas into the tank.  Ignition system needed some work, bu5 is now making spark.

The problem now is that carb is not getting gas.  I removed the the old gas (which really did smell like old varnish). Replaced the tank to fuel line rubber hose which had deteriorated badly.

I figure that either the fuel is blocked or the fuel pump (Carter X 4441S, rebuilt 2013) has failed. 

I am seeking advice on how I can narrow down the problem.  If it is a blocked - how to clear the blockage?

How to detect if the fuel pump has failed?

Greg

Hello, the filter may be blocked.  Pull the line loose from the carb and have someone turn the engine over.  Fuel should be pumped out of the line.  If its not, work your way back to the fuel pump then back to the tank.  The fuel sender could also be gummed up. 

My guess is the fuel pump diaphragm has deteriorated due to the modern fuel. 

BTW... the 4441S is easy to rebuild your self as they have a bolt together design.

Enjoy the hunt...
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

nvr-enuf

Make sure fuel is getting to fuel pump

You could disconnect the line at fuel pump
Take air blow nozzle thru a tennis ball - use that to gently pressurize the gas take to force fuel up to front of car. 

Also, you add fuel to the carb thru the tube on the carb inboard of the fuel bowls. Just the front bowl needs to be filled

As the one person said, get a rebuild kit and have someone go thru the carb to make sure it's clean

rhjanes

The fuel systems are pretty easy to figure out.  As stated, start at the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.  The system isn't pressurized, so just take off the clamp and there should be a trickle of fuel out of it.  If not, then it's the fuel line and there is a solution for blowing it out above. 
Got fuel dribbling out?  Put the hose and clamp back on.  Remove the coil wire, remove the fuel line at the carb fuel filter.  Crank for just a moment and some fuel should squirt out of the loosened line.  This WILL squirt so have a rag over it or be ready.  No fuel?  Could be the line again or the pump.  Remove the line at the fuel pump and blow it out.  If clear, then rebuild the pump.
Fuel at the loosened fuel line at the filter?  Remove the filter and just blow thru it.  Clear?  You might have what I had.  A stuck fuel needle!  Mine had sat so the fuel in the carb bowl had all evaporated.  AND, the rebuilder had NOT put the correct clip on the fuel bowl to needle!  That allowed the needle to get stuck as the fuel all dried out.  I didn't even remove the carb, just the top of it off to work the fuel float and needle & Seat.  Thankfully I had an old "spare" carb, opened it up, took out the clip, put it in the carb on the car.  Carb top plate back on, fuel filter back in, all lines hooked back up, coil wire put on.   Cranked it for 20 seconds and it came alive and we had a nice drive. 

Just trace the fuel lines starting at the fuel pump. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Flasheart

Thanks guys,

The carb did get some gas when I first tried to start it after several years, and the accelerator pump was squirting, but that has now now stopped.

I have removed and replaced the short rubber hose section from the tank to the main fuel line. A little fuel drained from the Main fuel line.  The tank drained steadily until I fitted the new hose. So I guess the fuel sender is clear.

I pulled the rubber hose that connects the fuel line to the Fuel pump and a little fuel drained from it.  I pulled the inlet filter from the carb and it was clean and bone dry.  Not getting any gas at all. 

I like the 'tennis ball and air pressure' method to pressurize the tank.  If gas flows at the inner fender it should indicate that the pump is the problem.  If there is no flow, is there a way of clearing the fuel line?  Just air pressure to blow it out?  Carb cleaner and air pressure?

I rebuilt the pump myself with a new kit back in 2013.  I was hoping not to have to do it again because that piece of metal you have to punch across the pin looks like it only has one shot before it breaks away.  But if all the lines prove to be clear it must be the pump. 

Royce Peterson

A lot of the time when the gas goes bad in the tank it wrecks the check valves in the fuel pump but the diaphragm is very sturdy and rarely ruined by bad gas. I bet you can leave the fulcrum alone and the diaphragm in place and just replace the check valves to make it happy again.

You know the diaphragm has gone bad when gas gets into the oil. If the pump is not pumping it is normally just bad check valves.

Quote from: Flasheart on October 09, 2020, 06:29:14 PM
Thanks guys,

The carb did get some gas when I first tried to start it after several years, and the accelerator pump was squirting, but that has now now stopped.

I have removed and replaced the short rubber hose section from the tank to the main fuel line. A little fuel drained from the Main fuel line.  The tank drained steadily until I fitted the new hose. So I guess the fuel sender is clear.

I pulled the rubber hose that connects the fuel line to the Fuel pump and a little fuel drained from it.  I pulled the inlet filter from the carb and it was clean and bone dry.  Not getting any gas at all. 

I like the 'tennis ball and air pressure' method to pressurize the tank.  If gas flows at the inner fender it should indicate that the pump is the problem.  If there is no flow, is there a way of clearing the fuel line?  Just air pressure to blow it out?  Carb cleaner and air pressure?

I rebuilt the pump myself with a new kit back in 2013.  I was hoping not to have to do it again because that piece of metal you have to punch across the pin looks like it only has one shot before it breaks away.  But if all the lines prove to be clear it must be the pump.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gt350bp

I had the same issue with my KR after letting it set for a few years. Drained tank, all new hoses and fuel lines as well as a new Edelbrock hi-volume fuel pump, but no fuel at the carburetor. Loosened the fuel line connection at the carburetor, cranked the engine briefly and instant fuel.

Don
gt350bp

Flasheart

I disconnected the rubber hose from the pump and tried the 'tennis ball and air pressure' method to pressurize the tank and it worked!  Within a few seconds, fuel was flowing from the hose, so the fuel line is all clear.   The fuel line from pump to carb is also clear.   So unfortunately, time to rebuild the Carter X again. 

66S285

66S285