Author Topic: 1968 Shelby GT350, Flares all around done by Shelby???  (Read 3549 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
1968 Shelby GT350, Flares all around done by Shelby???
« on: October 10, 2020, 09:17:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6rrs-goJqo

Guy claims the car was bought out of Galpin, then returned to Shelby to install four fender flares.  Sounds like BS?  Pretty ugly looking though. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Shelby GT350, Flares all around done by Shelby???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 09:38:55 PM »
Is he from Texas and his name is Dan or “Keith”?

6S1114

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:01:45 PM »
good one
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 12:06:20 AM »
Almost a certainly BS . Maier Racing has sold those flairs since the early 70's. https://www.maierracing.com/shop/fiberglass/individual-parts/flares/
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:21:33 AM »
Almost a certainly BS . Maier Racing has sold those flairs since the early 70's. https://www.maierracing.com/shop/fiberglass/individual-parts/flares/

+1. Those are Bill Maier's flares.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 12:13:02 PM »
Well, this is important information.  Shelby was modifying cars in Gardena in 1968?

Can anyone support that claim?

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 07:41:07 PM »
video here;

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=7290.0

Sorry Michael,  I missed it when it was first posted.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 11:56:16 PM »
BS tires weren't that wide then. Are they fiberglass? Shelby or anyone else at the time would have used steel as that was required by all sanctioning bodies at the time for racing. Also by that time Shelby American as we know it was gone and I don't believe that Shelby Racing Company was doing any outside work. Galpin also had at that time as today had a very capable custom shop. Gardena was the tire warehouse. Shelby always kept the tire business/location separate from the others. It might have stemmed from when he was originally at Moon Equipment selling GoodYears out the back door while Dean was selling Firestones out the front. Neither tire company was happy when they found out and told them to separate or lose their franchises. Shelby Racing was in Torrance (If I remember) today it's a paint company.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:06:05 AM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 12:44:51 AM »
BS tires weren't that wide then. Are they fiberglass? Shelby or anyone else at the time would have used steel as that was required by all sanctioning bodies at the time for racing. Also by that time Shelby American as we know it was gone and I don't believe that Shelby Racing Company was doing any outside work. Galpin also had at that time as today had a very capable custom shop. Gardena was the tire warehouse. Shelby always kept the tire business/location separate from the others. It might have stemmed from when he was originally at Moon Equipment selling GoodYears out the back door while Dean was selling Firestones out the front. Neither tire company was happy when they found out and told them to separate or lose their franchises. Shelby Racing was in Torrance (If I remember) today it's a paint company.
The Maier Racing flares were fiberglass sections that are bonded onto the sheet metal factory quarters . They were apparently copied from the look of what was used on the 68 Shelby TA competition cars. The Shelby racing team had sheet metal quarter panels made with the pronounce flair especially for that purpose . The quarters were added to the car during race prep. The same with the front fenders. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 02:02:29 AM »
video here;

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=7290.0

Sorry Michael,  I missed it when it was first posted.

No need to apologize to me. I would have just linked the video but I wasn't the original poster so I wanted to give credit where it was due.

Still an interesting tale.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 07:42:45 AM »
Maybe someone here can shed some light on a few things. When I first heard that SAAC became aware of Shelby paperwork up in the attic of his Gardena location(Late 90s??) and SAAC members went out there a few times to sift through the paperwork  would paperwork of cars like this done be in those documents or did SAAC guys only concentrate on cars and vins paperwork? Second WTH is up with the camera case dash, 120MPH speedo and no tach? First "real" 68 I have seen without that. I'm sure there are other little things that point out that this could be a fake? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 07:52:03 AM »
Cars like this?

There are no “cars like this”

Its complete fabrication. The car was bought from the Hemmings parts section as a clapped out hulk. I really dont think you can concluded its fake. However, his idea of  “completely original” is a dream.

Its my understanding, SAAC has all of Shelbys existing paperwork.

I was trying to avoid the popular forum phraseology....this is an extraordinary claim.

“Carroll Shelby thought he remembered the car” is not proof.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:11:49 AM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »
Maybe someone here can shed some light on a few things. When I first heard that SAAC became aware of Shelby paperwork up in the attic of his Gardena location(Late 90s??) and SAAC members went out there a few times to sift through the paperwork  would paperwork of cars like this done be in those documents or did SAAC guys only concentrate on cars and vins paperwork? Second WTH is up with the camera case dash, 120MPH speedo and no tach? First "real" 68 I have seen without that. I'm sure there are other little things that point out that this could be a fake? Gary
I got the impression that they got all that they could at that opportune time and were not sifting through looking for specific VIN numbers and such. Just getting as much boxed up for transport as logistics allowed to go through later when they could take a breath.Maybe others have more specifics.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
Well, this is important information.  Shelby was modifying cars in Gardena in 1968?

Can anyone support that claim?

Pete,
       The "Gardena" building Shelby is in now WASN'T there in '68!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Being a local has "some" advantages. Shelby Racing Co. ( on 190th) did NOT do ANY custom work , it was strictly the race shop.
   Tall boots are needed for this car the steaming pile is DEEP.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.