Author Topic: Special Edition Ford Pinto  (Read 2200 times)

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Special Edition Ford Pinto
« on: October 10, 2020, 11:46:31 PM »
Seen this Pinto on Starsky and Hutch today. Does anyone know about the badge on the left front fender? Was this a Special Edition Pinto?

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Special Edition Ford Pinto
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 12:06:27 AM »
Just googled it. And also Ford had an Olympic special edition Pinto.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 01:59:49 AM »
Huggy bears pinto?!?! :o

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 03:23:16 AM »
I think the silver/black car was an attempt to make it seem more European.

Kinda worked.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:55:32 AM »
In 1986 when my oldest daughter was born, my wife and I went to look at a '77 Pinto wagon. The woman who was selling it, it was her late Fathers and all he basically used it for was to go fishing. It only had 28K miles on it. It was awesome, it looked like a brand new car. We bought it for $750.

We drove it until 2003 and had 188K miles. We had Zero problems. It did have a minor rear main leak and it was a 4-speed and the clutch started slipping a bit.  But that Pinto was one of the most dependable cars I ever owned.

A buddy of mine bought it and made a tubbed drag car out of it ;D

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 07:57:53 AM »
BTW, it was my wife's daily driver :o  ;D

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 01:33:33 PM »
I was amazed at how much abuse the pintos could take and still keep rolling. Im talking heavily inebriated teenagers blasting down off road paths. Better yet they could be bought cheaply along with 62 thru 65 Impalas . The Chevys made good fishing cars with their monster trunks.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »
In 1986 when my oldest daughter was born, my wife and I went to look at a '77 Pinto wagon. The woman who was selling it, it was her late Fathers and all he basically used it for was to go fishing. It only had 28K miles on it. It was awesome, it looked like a brand new car. We bought it for $750.

We drove it until 2003 and had 188K miles. We had Zero problems. It did have a minor rear main leak and it was a 4-speed and the clutch started slipping a bit.  But that Pinto was one of the most dependable cars I ever owned.

I had an acquaintance that bought a new 928GTS around 1994. He told me how proud he was to have the top of the line Porsche until he came upon a beat-up Pinto at a stoplight. Not only did that Pinto totally annihilate him in the ensuing drag race, when he finally caught up to him in the twisties, but the Pinto also left him in the dust there as well.

He found out later the Pinto had a hot 302, 4-speed and coilover suspension.    ;D

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
62 thru 65 Impalas . The Chevys made good fishing cars with their monster trunks.

Foose fixed glaring flaw;

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 03:13:06 PM »

I had an acquaintance that bought a new 928GTS around 1994. He told me how proud he was to have the top of the line Porsche until he came upon a beat-up Pinto at a stoplight. Not only did that Pinto totally annihilate him in the ensuing drag race, when he finally caught up to him in the twisties, but the Pinto also left him in the dust there as well.

He found out later the Pinto had a hot 302, 4-speed and coilover suspension.    ;D
Lol, that's cool. 
My step bro had a Vega with a 350 SB w/4 speed. dragging was ok, but that car was way to unstable on any twisty roads,  :o
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:14:58 PM by 69mach351w »

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 05:44:25 PM »
Just googled it...

I had the grill blacked-out like that on my '72... but couldn't find 4 of those aluminum wheels in the junkyard... eventually found a full set of Capri styled-steel take-offs.

I did not try it "off road" (chin spoiler kinda low  ::)), but the 2.0 w/4-speed did take a lickin' and kept going. Clutch did not last for this kid  ???

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
  "Stallion " promotion. The Mustang II and Maverick were done that way too.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 02:57:03 PM »
62 thru 65 Impalas . The Chevys made good fishing cars with their monster trunks.

Imposter is currently on display at the Route 66 museum in Oklahoma. It's owned by a very nice Canadian couple who love sharing it with everyone. They also own Foose's first production Hemisfear which became the model for Chryslers Prowler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwufGvry5wU
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »

Imposter is currently on display at the Route 66 museum in Oklahoma. It's owned by a very nice Canadian couple who love sharing it with everyone. They also own Foose's first production Hemisfear which became the model for Chryslers Prowler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwufGvry5wU

I think the Imposter is Foose's Masterpiece. Actually, the best custom Muscle car ever imagined and created.