Author Topic: Hertz Speedmeter lock  (Read 6176 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Hertz Speedmeter lock
« on: October 11, 2020, 10:54:36 PM »
Not necessarily memorability, but definitely a 1966 Hertz GT350H artifact.  The attached images shows the speedometer cable locks to keep the GT350H renter mostly honest.  The lock with large hole was on the back of the speedometer in the cluster, capturing the large nut inside, preventing the speedometer cable from being disengaged from the speedometer.  The other was to prevent the removal of the small bolt holding the speedometer cable to the transmission.  When the rental cars left Hertz, these were suppose to be removed, but not all were removed.

I have had these for years.  Purchased off a popular auction site.   IIRC, the seller tells me he and a buddy parted out a GT350H many years ago, rust bucket, and he kept these locks, stored away in the sock draw in his bed room.  Years later he found, auction off and sold to me.  They are the second set I have ever seen.

It will take some pretty rare piece(s) to make this trade.

Enjoy

Cory
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:56:57 PM by 6s1640 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Hertz Speedmeter lock
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 11:42:51 PM »
Not necessarily memorability, but definitely a 1966 Hertz GT350H artifact.  The attached images shows the speedometer cable locks to keep the GT350H renter mostly honest.  The lock with large hole was on the back of the speedometer in the cluster, capturing the large nut inside, preventing the speedometer cable from being disengaged from the speedometer.  The other was to prevent the removal of the small bolt holding the speedometer cable to the transmission.  When the rental cars left Hertz, these were suppose to be removed, but not all were removed.

I have had these for years.  Purchased off a popular auction site.   IIRC, the seller tells me he and a buddy parted out a GT350H many years ago, rust bucket, and he kept these locks, stored away in the sock draw in his bed room.  Years later he found, auction off and sold to me.  They are the second set I have ever seen.

Enjoy

Cory
Cory, extremely cool .Thanks for posting a picture of a seldom seen rare artifact.  For those reading evidence suggest that the locks were not used company wide . They were used in problem rental areas.Also they were supposed to be taken off when the cars were turned back in for resale. Obviously some got forgotten . I thought I would mention it so a Hertz owner would not think that his car would automatically get one or need one. They would be a cool addition to any Hertz car but just because they are not on a car doesn't mean the car is missing something. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 12:10:42 AM »
Looks like they repurposed spare tire locks - http://www.garybeaupre.com/Site/Spare_Tire_Locks_Page1.html
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »
Looks like they repurposed spare tire locks - http://www.garybeaupre.com/Site/Spare_Tire_Locks_Page1.html
The double sided security key seen in Cory's picture is far harder to pick and completely different mechanism then the single sided key used in the GM tire locks seen in your provided link. The bodies do look similar however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 12:51:22 AM »

Enjoy

Cory
Cory, extremely cool .Thanks for posting a picture of a seldom seen rare artifact.  For those reading evidence suggest that the locks were not used company wide . They were used in problem rental areas.Also they were supposed to be taken off when the cars were turned back in for resale. Obviously some got forgotten . I thought I would mention it so a Hertz owner would not think that his car would automatically get one or need one. They would be a cool addition to any Hertz car but just because they are not on a car doesn't mean the car is missing something.

Hi Bob,  I agree with your assessment as well.  I have heard people finding the speedometer side lock and not the transmission lock.  The speedometer lock is much more work to remove.  I can imagine as a tech prep'ing the car for resale, they may have cut a few corners and not take them all off.

On the locks themselves, the one to watch for are the ones made by T&A MFG Co. St.Paul MINN.  There are other suppliers out there with very similar designs.

Take care

Cory

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing Cory. Have pictures of a few of them though I've not found any myself. Never thought to check other Hertz rental cars I found in yards though I likely should had made the effort. Too busy looking for other things and taking pictures I guess
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 06:43:05 PM »
6S550 did not have either lock on it when I bought it in 1967. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 01:35:46 AM »
My 66 # 1869 had one one it when I bought the car in 1976. The car was partially disassembled and the instrument cluster was in a box with other parts with the lock installed. I was able to finally remove the lock and cable and must have disposed of it as I did not know the car was a Hertz as it was white with blue stripes and I did not find out the cars history until a few years later.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 05:24:54 AM »
Very cool.thanks for sharing
6S373
6S1276

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 09:37:06 AM »
I was fortunate to find one exactly like Cory's (T&A mfg.) a few years back and realized what it was. It had no keys but a very competent locksmith here in town made a set for me.
5S071, 6S1467

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 08:58:15 AM »
Pictures of locks installed
Speedometer and transmission
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

commok

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »
Way cool - thanks for posting!

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 03:13:20 AM »
Hi Steve,

Very nice.  I am assuming you are happy with these locks.

My son has been watching a YouTube video on picking locks.  There is some guy he watches that can pick any lock.  I'd like to see him pick the gauge cluster lock while installed in the dash.  The transmission one might be easier to pick.  If I was a crook back in the day, I'd just cut the cable.

When you get you display put together for the car show, you will have to post pictures of that as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Cory
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:16:49 AM by 6s1640 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »
Hi Steve,

Very nice.  I am assuming you are happy with these locks.

My son has been watching a YouTube video on picking locks.  There is some guy he watches that can pick any lock.  I'd like to see him pick the gauge cluster lock while installed in the dash.  The transmission one might be easier to pick.  If I was a crook back in the day, I'd just cut the cable.

When you get you display put together for the car show, you will have to post pictures of that as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Cory
Cory, I don't understand why a Crook would cut the cable. It didn't have anything to do with stealing a car, The purpose of the lock was to keep the speedometer cable from being disconnected to circumvent mileage used to determine a rental car bill .It had to be done without anyone knowing otherwise you would not get away with the scam. Typically not a huge amount of money ether way. The lock didn't have to be super sophisticated because it wasn't that big of deal. Yes they are on the easy side to pick if a key is lost.I have done it with a lock pick a couple of times for friends who found them. There would be no incentive for a crook to cut the cable.  If the crook cut the cable then it would be obvious he was trying to manipulate the mileage and the scam would not be successful.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 05:02:41 PM »
I plan on having a display of the installed locks at the 2021 MCACN show at the Hertz Collection Invitational, everyone who wants to can stop by and see them
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎