Author Topic: Any pictures of an original fuel pump as used on original Paxton cars?  (Read 3013 times)

TJinSA

• View Profile
Well, the subject pretty much sums up my request. I have not forwarded the question to Craig Conley yet, hoping to capture responses here-in. Craig's kit uses a mechanical pump that equalizes one side of the operation or the other, so I was wondering whether similar pumps were used in the 60s, and what they looked like.  I sure hope they were not a chromed up tart of one sort or another.
Tom Kubler
6S296

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Any pictures of an original fuel pump as used on original Paxton cars?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 10:37:48 AM »
Well, the subject pretty much sums up my request. I have not forwarded the question to Craig Conley yet, hoping to capture responses here-in. Craig's kit uses a mechanical pump that equalizes one side of the operation or the other, so I was wondering whether similar pumps were used in the 60s, and what they looked like.  I sure hope they were not a chromed up tart of one sort or another.
They were a common no chrome version then as now Carter mechanical screw together bottom half fuel pump.The Paxton pumps were modified in that the upper half was tapped for a small brass nipple fitting  to attach a equalizer hose from the non fuel side of the diaphragm on the pump to the air box for equalized air pressure between the two. I would wager that Craig sells a modified Carter pump as a replacement.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »
  +1 I have owned at least 5 original pumps . "I" would use a current Carter 6094 pump and drill and tap ( 1/8th pipe thread) in the angled portion of the upper casting to add a small brass fitting to connect via rubber hose the the small pressure take off on the discharge side of the blower. This fitting allows boost pressure to be applied to the diaphram in the pump. Otherwise boost pressure would push fuel back to the tank or at least stop flow into the carburetor IF it is in the carburetor enclosure. If the carburetor is exposed as on the dual Paxton Cobra , there is no need for the fitting. I ran Paxtons in '67-77.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
Hoping a picture will help the discussion. Difficult to get or find pictures of one installed with everything that is normally in the way

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:47:25 PM »
  Jeff ,
    That could certainly work but none of them "I" had were done that way. When I had to replace a diaphram  , I noticed a boss in the casting where the fitting was. I sold all of my stuff to Richard Rodeck thirty + years ago so posting a picture is not possible.
     RG

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 05:53:23 PM »
Wish  I had more examples also. Top one was from one of the magazine roadtest/conversions

Other was just something posted.

A number of other cars I've seen were converted to electric so those are of little to no help
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

martyjac

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 07:09:15 PM »
Here’s one I’ve had for 35+ years. It’s a 3509-S. Not sure if it’s original, but I believe Shelby sold it under part #S7MK-9350-A
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:32:06 PM by martyjac »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 07:31:39 PM »
   If the carburetor is exposed as on the dual Paxton Cobra , there is no need for the fitting.
   Randy

Hey Randy, I think one still has to supply a vacuum/pressure reference if using the blow-thru hat over the carburetor as the fuel bowls are vented under the hat and therefore still witness blower pressure (and don't try to use externally vented bowls!  :o ); and my Studebaker R2 (yeah, and we had a 289 and a Paxton before Ford did!  8) ) is plumbed as such.

............... , I noticed a boss in the casting where the fitting was.

I'm not sure if it's a "correct" fitment for the Ford installations, but the Carter fuel pump #M6270 for a Mopar has had in the past an upper body with a boss provided which has been used for this, as known and borrowed in the past by us R2 guys; by drilling and tapping the boss and changing or modifying the lever for the Stude.        8)

If interested one can go to:  "Bob Johnstone's Studebaker Resource website and look up:  Studebaker/Avanti Fuel Pump Mod. by Jim McCuan, for pictures worth a thousand words!          ::)

Scott.

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 11:02:39 PM »
This is an original Carter fuel pump that was typically used with the Paxton blowers.  This one is a “4464S” with an “L-6” date.  I’ve got another one that is nos in the box and identical to this one, but I can’t seem to figure out where I’ve got it stashed.  There may be other versions that were offered over time.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 11:38:10 AM »
   That's it ! Thanks George. I clearly remember the odd round hole in the picture. If you took that on apart , you would see the "boss" on the inside that the hole is drilled into. I had 5 just like it in the five S7MK kits I had.
   Randy

Scott ,
     You are SO right that the "elbow" still needs a boost reference. Maybe that's why my attempt to run dual fours wouldn't rev. "I" ( back then) thought I needed two blowers but it was probably pushing the fuel back to the tank LOL . Never thought to use the hose to the fuel pump because of no box. Where was "that guy" looking over my shoulder back then? Some times you can't see the forest because of the trees!
    Randy