Author Topic: SPEC Rearend Chunk  (Read 3029 times)

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
SPEC Rearend Chunk
« on: October 14, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
Everyone,

I’m trying to find more info out and possible asking pricing for a SPEC chunk I’ve recently acquired. I was elated as can be to find one FINALLY and this one is in great shape! It is a 3.89 ratio (GT350 I believe?) but it also has a Trac Loc installed too. The SPEC casting is upside down?

I’ve also since found the original SPEC case for my car!! It’s a 3.50 ratio “open” unit. The previous owner took it out and thought it was junk because it had no posi!! It sat under a bench for 28 plus years!

I’m gonna sell the 3.89 SPEC unit as I no longer need two. What’s a realistic price to ask? I’ve only seen a few through the years even offered for sale and NEVER one in person. Are they really THAT rare and hard to come by? Appreciate any help here.

Regards, Matt

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: SPEC Rearend Chunk
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »
They are hard to find, I have seen them and sold them at $1500 but I have also seen them up to $2500.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 03:32:05 AM »
I bought some of those all were between 1500-2250$ send me some pics of yours you want to sell.

There are 2 versions of the spec case with drain plug and without.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 07:45:53 AM »
I bought some of those all were between 1500-2250$ send me some pics of yours you want to sell.

There are 2 versions of the spec case with drain plug and without.

Those are the asking numbers I heard as well but you won't get the exact number until you "sit down" to nail down a number.

These things are rare enough to just "demand" a certain number and a "take it or leave it" position.

I know as a fact a few holding SPEC cases and not openly acknowledging that. They really feel that even at around 2 thousand, the things could "double" much like date correct big blocks are/did. So there is no knowing how high is up.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »
      Back in the '70's no one gave a hoot for the unique "SPEC" marked cases, and we would sell-off those as marked first, as being considered some sort of substitute standard unit for the otherwise typically marked, "good" ones'!          :o   

Oh well, not the first mistake I ever made.        ::)

Scott.

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 08:37:30 PM »
Guys—

Is what Matt is selling the center section for the rear end that is the limited slip mechanism that a 1966 GT350 owner could have purchase around that time?

Mark

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »
Guys—

Is what Matt is selling the center section for the rear end that is the limited slip mechanism that a 1966 GT350 owner could have purchase around that time?

Mark

Mark, no the SPEC cases were used on 67 GT500's. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 09:19:26 PM »
Guys—

Mark
Matt is selling something that would have come in a 67 Shelby not a 66 . The unit would not be something that would be easily ordered in the 66 67 time frame.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 09:21:08 PM »
Guys—

Mark

Mark, no the SPEC cases were used on 67 GT500's.
Actually the 67 GT500 typically had a spec case. It was 67 GT350 that it was typically not used in.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 11:18:27 PM »
Thank you guys—

Mark

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 08:54:02 AM »
The SPEC cases were used in three vehicles - the 1967 Shelby GT500, the 1967 Fairlane 427 (W or R code) and the 1967 Mercury Cyclone (W or R code.)

If I had one I would want $2500 for that assembly provided the innards are greasy not rusty.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 12:17:05 PM »
    The SPEC case is nothing "special" . The "run" was cast at Ford's specialty foundry most often used for short run , pre production prototype parts. The SPEC tag has been used on LOTS of parts. Water pumps , cylinder heads , intakes ( cast iron only) are some of the parts I have owned with it. I have yet to discover the reason that foundry was used but C4AW-B case production resumed at the Detroit Iron Foundry (DIF) on the castings in late '67 after the end of SAI production."My" guess is about 4,000 cases were cast there in '67 only. They are ONLY "correct" for the production vehicles Royce listed .
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 03:10:03 PM »
    The SPEC case is nothing "special" . The "run" was cast at Ford's specialty foundry most often used for short run , pre production prototype parts. The SPEC tag has been used on LOTS of parts. Water pumps , cylinder heads , intakes ( cast iron only) are some of the parts I have owned with it. I have yet to discover the reason that foundry was used but C4AW-B case production resumed at the Detroit Iron Foundry (DIF) on the castings in late '67 after the end of SAI production."My" guess is about 4,000 cases were cast there in '67 only. They are ONLY "correct" for the production vehicles Royce listed .
     Randy

Nothing special except around a $2,500 price to buy a case.  :o

I'm SO glad I found mine! ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 07:25:26 PM »
The SPEC cases were used in three vehicles - the 1967 Shelby GT500, the 1967 Fairlane 427 (W or R code) and the 1967 Mercury Cyclone (W or R code.)

If I had one I would want $2500 for that assembly provided the innards are greasy not rusty.

And early 68 gt350s
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .